My family of four, which includes two teenagers, is planning a last-minute trip to the Caribbean - hopefully leaving in the next week or so! Since we don't have passports, I assume our choices are limited to Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands. We like outdoors recreation (snorkeling, biking, hiking, boating), cultural experiences and just plain relaxing. We're not looking for shopping or night life. Which place do you recommend for this kind of family getaway? In the past we've had good luck renting condo units (usually through VRBO) so we get 2 bedrooms and a kitchen. Would this work for either Puerto Rico or USVI? Areas you'd recommend us to stay in, or stay away from? Someone just told me he thought there was now a problem getting into even these destinations without a passport. Is that true? Thanks for your help!
Advice for last-minute family Caribbean trip
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 We've done it - we've bought our flights to Cuba. Now the planning begins!
- 2 Safe for Family
- 3 Bahamas girls trip
- 4 Seek Advice on 9 days in Samana and possibly Cabarete
- 5 Barbados or St. Lucia in late August
- 6 Need help deciding which resort/island to vacation at in September
- 7 Snorkeling
- 8 ST Thomas trip report with kids at Frenchman Reef and Morningstar
- 9 fish fry on Curacao
- 10 mosquito problem in Curacao
- 11 Place to stay and dive in Curacao for new divers
- 12 Sailing in the Abacos, Bahamas
- 13 One night in Nassau - hotel help
- 14 2 Weeks in Caribbean
- 15 10 days in Cuba - HELP
- 16 Restaurants in Aruba
- 17 Questions about Moving to the Carribean
- 18 Young couple planning June/July trip to Caribbean..where should we go!?
- 19 St. John vs St Thomas with kids (7 and 9) for New Years week?
- 20 Good place to hear music- San Juan
- 21 Solo backpacking in Cuba
- 22 Honeymoon with beaches plus hiking
- 23 I got robbed in St Maarten - St Martin on the French side
- 24 Planning a honeymoon for middle of August
- 25 Puerto Rico Information Needed Please