I'm planning a vacation to Guadeloupe for next Thanksgiving. From internet and guidebook research, I've decided to stay in the east side of Grande Terre rather than around the more tourist-hotel area (I speak French competently and am planning to rent a car). I've narrowed by choices to these hotels in Ste-Anne and St-Francois: La Toubana, Meridien St-Francois, Plantation Ste-Marthe, and Hotel Anchorage Anse des Rochers. I wondered if anyone stayed in the Anse de Rochers in particular, or La Toubana and could comment. I really wanted Toubana as it's smaller and I have no interest in a lot of the typical resort activities (water sports, discos, etc), I want peace and quiet. HOwever, I read one review that said it was a very windy part of the island and the wind was so strong you could hardly go outside! This would not be so desirable. That reviews also said the hotel restaurant had lax service, but I'm more concerned about room quality and the wind and wondered if anyone had comments on that. Meridien looks predictable just huge and run-of-the-mill; the hotel doesn't seem to be facing the ocean, either, so I'd guess getting an ocean view would be tough. I'm really leaning toward Anse des Rochers but can find no comments on it anywhere. It's also a large resort complex but looks nice and is on the beach; it's rated 3-star and the room decor in the photos (www.anse-des-rochers.com) isn't as nice as the Meridien photos, but I've read elsewhere that the Meridien is kind of worn and not so nice anyway. The Plantation Ste-Marthe might be my first choice but it's inland and as long as I'm going there, I want an ocean view at my hotel, I think. Money isn't a big issue here, all of these seem in my budget (nearby La Cocoterie probably is not, I want to pay US$150, hopefully less, per night). Even the nicer rooms in bungalows at Anse des Rochers are only about 900F per night. Any advice or comments on these hotels is appreciated. I'm not a big swimmer, so don't care which has a better pool at all, and I mainly want the ocean view for looks, not sports etc reasons.
Accommodations on Grande Terre, Guadeloupe
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Finally Exumas trip report with pictures
- 2 Seeking a cliff overlooking the ocean for our wedding ceremony
- 3 Puerto Plata: Cofresi Palm Beach or Blue Bay?
- 4 Jamaica
- 5 Jamaica all inclusive
- 6 Best Singles Vacation 35-50 in Caribbean
- 7 ROMANTIC DINNER FOR VERY SPECIAL OCCASION- seeking advice
- 8 I'm traveling alone to Cuba for two weeks (American). Need advice!
- 9 Cuba Opening Up
- 10 Puerto Rico Itinerary Review, Por Favor
- 11 Barbados/St. John/Turks/Puerto Rico/Curacao/
- 12 Why Barbados?
- 13 Bahamas Out Islands OR Turks & Caicos for family of teens?!
- 14 Can you travel to Cuba without a group?
- 15 Looking for deep sea fishing, beaches, culture (ALL CARIBBEAN SUGGESTIONS)
- 16 Half Moon in Jamaica
- 17 Aruba Beach Club - Eagle Beach
- 18 Just back from The Somerset
- 19 BodyHoliday, St. Lucia or other wellness spa recommendations?
- 20 Late October Honeymoon in the Caribbean
- 21 Advice needed: Caribbean island / beaches for small children/toddlers
- 22 Sandals Resorts
- 23 Falmouth, Jamaica that bad???
- 24 Where is the most romantic place for dinner in Bermuda?
- 25 Best place for two single girls in early 20s?!