I'm traveling to St. Lucia this Summer. I checked nearby islands to combine my trip with and Dominica is the one that has caught my attention. I count on 7, 8 nights tops. However, I'm having a hard time figuring dominica out.
I'm mostly interested in quiet time on beaches and easy hikes that do not require guides. I know that Dominica doesn't get good reviews when it comes to beaches, but I like the pictures that I've seen. I don't intent to visit the whole island in a week (I don't want an ambitious tiresome vacation), specially since I won't count on a car (I can't drive, let alone on the left) but depend on taxis/bus.
So here are my questions:
1. Is Calibishie a good place to base the entire time, at least to explore the north? I like quiet places to base. What about Portsmouth in contrast to Calibishie?
2. Would you suggest a quiet place in the south to consider as a base?
3. What's your experience with buses/taxis? Is there a website that shows bus routes?
Thanks for your time and input,
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Aruba weather
- 2 BFF Trip, 3 girls, 7-8 days total. Suggestions???
- 3 Credit Card-Carrying US Independent Travelers Go to Cuba
- 4 Dominican Republic self drive tour
- 5 Anguilla - where to rent a car
- 6 Turks and caicos
- 7 Cruise stop activities
- 8 Choosing an island for summer vacation
- 9 Jade Mountain
- 10 Turks and caicos
- 11 Honeymoon Help!!
- 12 How to avoid nudity in St. Maarten.
- 13 Which Caribbean island to choose?
- 14 Bermuda
- 15 Restaurant Suggestions
- 16 St. Martin: cost of transportation to Grand Case
- 17 Havana Cuba for 2 days
- 18 Mid-Twenties couple looking for a lively, gorgeous resort
- 19 Restrictions on US Military travel to Cuba?
- 20 Taxi info. Self touring
- 21 In search of place to take adult daughters on a girls' week away
- 22 1st timer Ann Trip Suggestions for All Inclusive/Adult Only Resort
- 23 Half Moon Montego Bay questions
- 24 place to take kids for the day in falmouth jamica
- 25 Discovery Bay, Jamaica