I'm traveling to St. Lucia this Summer. I checked nearby islands to combine my trip with and Dominica is the one that has caught my attention. I count on 7, 8 nights tops. However, I'm having a hard time figuring dominica out.
I'm mostly interested in quiet time on beaches and easy hikes that do not require guides. I know that Dominica doesn't get good reviews when it comes to beaches, but I like the pictures that I've seen. I don't intent to visit the whole island in a week (I don't want an ambitious tiresome vacation), specially since I won't count on a car (I can't drive, let alone on the left) but depend on taxis/bus.
So here are my questions:
1. Is Calibishie a good place to base the entire time, at least to explore the north? I like quiet places to base. What about Portsmouth in contrast to Calibishie?
2. Would you suggest a quiet place in the south to consider as a base?
3. What's your experience with buses/taxis? Is there a website that shows bus routes?
Thanks for your time and input,
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Family vacation for divers
- 2 Best Restaurants on Tortola
- 3 No rain in June PLEASE
- 4 Cuba
- 5 How Early to Arrive at St Maarten Airport?
- 6 Turks & Caicos or another island for a short getaway from NYC?
- 7 Culinary Employment Iles Des Saintes
- 8 Island recommendation
- 9 Zika-Free All-Inclusive Vacation
- 10 Safe to VRBO in Puerto Rico?
- 11 Best place to buy a vacation property I can also rent out...with a twist
- 12 Can I take alcohol?
- 13 Scrub Island Resort
- 14 Virgin Gorda? 5-Year Anniversary Trip
- 15 Need Trip Ideas For Late July
- 16 Vacationing Single in Grand Cayman
- 17 Trip Report: St. John Villa Rental
- 18 Which Caribbean island is best for my family?
- 19 Island advice plz!
- 20 Cubarinking water?
- 21 First time to PR
- 22 St. John Trip Report
- 23 Aussie couple's 3/4 week trip
- 24 St Kitts' Bakery
- 25 Which Island - Family Getaway