Imagine this: an 8 mile "race" that on March 22, drew 1300+ runners from "everywhere" to St John. So what's the catch? This is THE meet for the annual toughest, most grueling race around. Trust me, there's even a group from Ohio who make this an annual "must do" event as well as a group dressed in unitards - head to toe and covered fingers - gear that looks like Who-ville or Thing One and Thing Two outfits in bright blue, orange, purple and red. Anyway, I've driven the 8 mile route from Cruz Bay to Coral Bay and trust me … it is crazy non-stop up-down "hills", more like mountains, with hairpin turns and breathtaking views if you've got enough oxygen coursing through your brain to notice. This year, at the 2nd mile mark, runners were hit with a wall of torrential rain that made the course that much more challenging … by the time the first runner (#7) crossed the finish line (in under an hour!) his back side was covered in splattered mud, a scene repeated by all the runners who followed. "Our" runner turned in a personal best and came in under an hour in 17th place!!! What a race! What an event to attend and cheer on the runners! What an event (for someone else) to compete in!!! Mark your calendars for next year's race - it's a hoot!
8 TUFF MILES
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Bahamas Out Islands OR Turks & Caicos for family of teens?!
- 2 Can you travel to Cuba without a group?
- 3 Cuba Opening Up
- 4 Jamaica all inclusive
- 5 Looking for deep sea fishing, beaches, culture (ALL CARIBBEAN SUGGESTIONS)
- 6 Barbados/St. John/Turks/Puerto Rico/Curacao/
- 7 Half Moon in Jamaica
- 8 ROMANTIC DINNER FOR VERY SPECIAL OCCASION- seeking advice
- 9 Aruba Beach Club - Eagle Beach
- 10 Just back from The Somerset
- 11 BodyHoliday, St. Lucia or other wellness spa recommendations?
- 12 Late October Honeymoon in the Caribbean
- 13 Advice needed: Caribbean island / beaches for small children/toddlers
- 14 Sandals Resorts
- 15 Falmouth, Jamaica that bad???
- 16 Where is the most romantic place for dinner in Bermuda?
- 17 Best place for two single girls in early 20s?!
- 18 Trip Report - Eastern Cuba 2006
- 19 Please help me decide to go to Cuba!
- 20 Cuba in 10 days
- 21 1st time to Caribbean/Turks & Caicos - suggestions
- 22 Turks/Caicos or Dominican Republic
- 23 Best Snorkeling near/in Punta Cana?
- 24 ISO recs for high-end and high-chair-friendly meals in St. Martin
- 25 Santo Domingo Day Trip from Punta Cana