New here and this is my first post.
Married young (late 20's) couple from Australia visitng USA for the first time in August 2014 for 3 weeks. We are travelling to Vegas, Miami, New York and LA (in that order) then back to Australia and we have 3 spare days on the agenda where we would love to visit the Caribbean (something different and relaxing). I hear August is hurricane season in the Caribbean so I thought I would put the question out there. Is it a mistake visitng the Caribbean Islands in August? If it isn't can someone please give me some options. Some of the options that came up during my research have been Bahamas, St Maarten, Cayman Islands and St. Barts or even the Rivera Maya in Mexico but I am open to anything. This is a summary of what we are after:
1. Direct flight to a Caribbean Island and return. Either from Vegas - Caribbean Island - Miami OR Miami - Caribbean Island - New York.
2. Time frame - 2 nights/3 days in August 2014.
3. Agenda - relaxing, beautiful water, chilled out, snorkeling, beautiful hotel, good street food and restaurant food, a bit of history or something to see and do during the day other than shopping. We have NY and Vegas to shop in and USA is going to be pretty full on with daily tours and walking so we don't mind just relaxing.
4. Budget - $300.00 or $400.00 USD a night or under for room only. $50.00 - $100.00 a day for food (2 - 3 meals without alcohol).
Any suggestions, recommendations and advice will be much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Providenciales Airport
- 2 Small luxe Caribbean hotels
- 3 Providenciales Review
- 4 Bermuda-Catamarran
- 5 Numero 1 guest House
- 6 Best snorkeling, hiking, local vibe and food
- 7 Mango Reef Restaurant in Turks and Caicos
- 8 Babymoon Beach Vacation
- 9 Cuba in 5 days?
- 10 Grand Bahia Principe, Punta Cana
- 11 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 12 Large Family Trip to Caribbean
- 13 Atlantis in Bahamas
- 14 St. Thomas vs Bahamas?
- 15 The Pigs of No Name Cay, Abaco, Bahamas
- 16 turks caicos
- 17 We've done it - we've bought our flights to Cuba. Now the planning begins!
- 18 Curacao
- 19 Puerto Rico since the "meltdown"
- 20 Nonstop Flights from East Coast to Martinique and Guadeloupe from the US
- 21 Hotel on beach, montego bay w/some good reggae
- 22 Need more folks for Atlantis boat charter
- 23 Groupon Tours
- 24 Can you bring your own food to Aruba?
- 25 Grandmother/Granddaughter Beach Vacation