New here and this is my first post.
Married young (late 20's) couple from Australia visitng USA for the first time in August 2014 for 3 weeks. We are travelling to Vegas, Miami, New York and LA (in that order) then back to Australia and we have 3 spare days on the agenda where we would love to visit the Caribbean (something different and relaxing). I hear August is hurricane season in the Caribbean so I thought I would put the question out there. Is it a mistake visitng the Caribbean Islands in August? If it isn't can someone please give me some options. Some of the options that came up during my research have been Bahamas, St Maarten, Cayman Islands and St. Barts or even the Rivera Maya in Mexico but I am open to anything. This is a summary of what we are after:
1. Direct flight to a Caribbean Island and return. Either from Vegas - Caribbean Island - Miami OR Miami - Caribbean Island - New York.
2. Time frame - 2 nights/3 days in August 2014.
3. Agenda - relaxing, beautiful water, chilled out, snorkeling, beautiful hotel, good street food and restaurant food, a bit of history or something to see and do during the day other than shopping. We have NY and Vegas to shop in and USA is going to be pretty full on with daily tours and walking so we don't mind just relaxing.
4. Budget - $300.00 or $400.00 USD a night or under for room only. $50.00 - $100.00 a day for food (2 - 3 meals without alcohol).
Any suggestions, recommendations and advice will be much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 DIY Cuba - US Citizens - Havana + Viñales or Trinidad?
- 2 College Friend Vacation in Caribbean
- 3 Travel to Cuba from US for Spanish citizens
- 4 Cottage on the beach
- 5 Being able to work in Trinidad and Tobago
- 6 Island Hopping
- 7 Recommend Jamaican Fishing Charters
- 8 Planning a trip to Jamaica for my daughter's graduation
- 9 Group Tour vs. Independent Travel for Havana Jazz Fest 2016
- 10 Cat Island (Fernandez Bay Village) Trip Report
- 11 Gluten free restaurants in Bermuda
- 12 mid December 2016 trip for 2
- 13 St. Thomas is dangerous
- 14 Labor Day Weekend in Turks & Caicos
- 15 2 weeks in Cuba - to include Santiago/Baracoa or not?!
- 16 Photos and Trip Report, Follow up to "Looking for Luxury on Budget"
- 17 Which Caribbean Island Should I Visit?
- 18 Americans traveling to cuba with 9 year old
- 19 Looking for deep sea fishing, beaches, culture (ALL CARIBBEAN SUGGESTIONS)
- 20 Which Island visit, with which company ?
- 21 Bay Gardens Beach Resort Saint Lucia Trip Report October 2014
- 22 Casa Particular in Trinidad
- 23 USVI with Baby and Toddler - Advice required
- 24 Negril vs. Montego Bay? Nightlife?
- 25 which island is best for fam vaca in july with teens