Day 1 – JFK to SJU to NEV
Travel was fairly uneventful, with the exception of SJU to NEV. Flight “oversold” due to weight—doh! I hear ‘oversold’ and that usually peaks my interest, however this was our honeymoon so we’ll pass this time. I did ask what the option was IF we volunteered and at that point she offered the same flight the NEXT day. No thanks, my rum punch awaits at Montpelier! Side note (TIP) about the oversold status. There is no boarding order to the boarding process—GET AS CLOSE TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE AS SOON AS YOU CAN. As we were waiting for the gate agent to scan our ticket and then proceed to the tarmac, we noticed her counting rollerboard type carry-ons. She counts ours and a couple behind and then radios to someone the #. Well, we get through OK but turn around to see the honeymooning couple behind us being denied (she was in tears). We suspect it was because of their carry-ons (ie, overweight). They DID end up getting on the flight, but we got the impression that if you were stuck at the end of the line with a rollerboard and if the plane was full due to weight—you were SOL. Doesn’t seem like they should be able to do this, especially if you have a confirmed seat, but weight is everything on these small planes—max weight is max weight. [shrug] Sorry for getting off track, just thought it a useful tidbit for future NEV visitors. Anyways, picked up the baggage in NEV, cleared immigration, then customs no problem.
Hop in the cab ($25US) for the 20 min ride to Montpelier. Cold towels were presented as soon as we stepped off the van, and our luggage was whisked away to our room. Angela then took us on a brief tour of the grounds, and we met our rum punch at the bar. Yum. Notice I didn’t mention check-in—because there really isn’t any at MPI. “No worries” they told us, just come by in a few days to ‘sign-in.’
We arrived with time to unpack/unwind before c0cktails and dinner. C0cktails and canapes in the Great Room at 7:15 and dinner seating on the Terrace thereafter.
Recent ActivityView all Caribbean Islands activity »
- 1 Credit Card-Carrying US Independent Travelers Go to Cuba
- 2 CUBA -- see once and never return
- 3 Dominican Republic self drive tour
- 4 Aruba weather
- 5 Anguilla - where to rent a car
- 6 Turks and caicos
- 7 Cruise stop activities
- 8 Choosing an island for summer vacation
- 9 Jade Mountain
- 10 Turks and caicos
- 11 Honeymoon Help!!
- 12 How to avoid nudity in St. Maarten.
- 13 Which Caribbean island to choose?
- 14 Bermuda
- 15 Restaurant Suggestions
- 16 St. Martin: cost of transportation to Grand Case
- 17 Havana Cuba for 2 days
- 18 Mid-Twenties couple looking for a lively, gorgeous resort
- 19 BFF Trip, 3 girls, 7-8 days total. Suggestions???
- 20 Restrictions on US Military travel to Cuba?
- 21 Taxi info. Self touring
- 22 In search of place to take adult daughters on a girls' week away
- 23 1st timer Ann Trip Suggestions for All Inclusive/Adult Only Resort
- 24 Half Moon Montego Bay questions
- 25 place to take kids for the day in falmouth jamica
Day 1 – JFK to SJU to NEV