we are planning a big road trip (starting in Lake Tahoe, CA) to BC this summer (starting mid-july). We plan to take it fairly slow, because we have 3 and 6 year old girls.
Our first Canadian destination is the sunshine coast, where we'll be staying for 5 nights in a cottage. After that, we have reserved 3 nights in Vancouver. Originally, we had planned to return to the US and slowly make our way back after this (via Seattle, Mt. Rainier or Mt St. Helen, and the Southern OR coast). But now we are thinking, since we already drove so far north, maybe we should try to see more of BC.
We are thinking of either Victoria or Whistler, for a 2-3 night visit.
My husband is more drawn to Whistler, because of the mountain scenery, the gondolas, the hiking and so forth.
I am a little torn - I like the idea of the ferry ride over to Vancouver island, and the Butchart gardens and the museum in Victoria sound nice (although I think neither the castle nor the hotel would be our cup of tea), plus we have the option to explore one other area such as the West Coast (if we stay 3nights).
My questions are: Since we are already staying on the sunshine coast (and planning to visit beaches in that area), will Vancouver island be more of the same?
And since we are starting from Tahoe (or Squaw Valley, to be exact), will Whistler just be a larger version of that? In other words, is the scenery comparable to the high Sierras in California? Is Mt. Rainier possibly an equally good destination for a little hiking and alpine setting (even though we'd like to do some major hikes, the kids will prevent us from doing much of that).
Lastly, I am obviously open to other suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 AOL PASSWORD RECOVERY CONTACT ☎ 1-8OO-570-I233 Technical CAre
- 2 Hp@ printer Wireless CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Technical SUPP0RT b*g
- 3 Traveling with your bike
- 4 Driving from Vancouver to Anchorage
- 5 Where to eat in Vancouver and Sidney
- 6 New Jersey to Quebec City
- 7 Driving around Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alberta and BC
- 8 one week trip to Nova Scotia
- 9 Solo Trip to BC in August
- 10 Alberta Trip_2017
- 11 Day Trip from Niagara Falls, NY
- 12 4 Day Photography trip to Quebec during July 4th
- 13 Vancouver to Calgary - advice on itinerary and what to reserve first
- 14 Driving round trip from Vancouver to Calgary
- 15 Best Urban N American Cycling: Ottawa?
- 16 Baseball
- 17 Vermont to Montreal for 2 days?
- 18 Another trip to bicycling heaven.
- 19 Transportation from airport for 7
- 20 calgary to vancover 10days
- 21 Itinerary in the Rockies
- 22 Vancouver, Calgary roundtrip 4.5 days
- 23 Tour to New Foundland
- 24 Summer Day Trips From Toronto
- 25 Manitoulin Island - Ontario, Canada