we are planning a big road trip (starting in Lake Tahoe, CA) to BC this summer (starting mid-july). We plan to take it fairly slow, because we have 3 and 6 year old girls.
Our first Canadian destination is the sunshine coast, where we'll be staying for 5 nights in a cottage. After that, we have reserved 3 nights in Vancouver. Originally, we had planned to return to the US and slowly make our way back after this (via Seattle, Mt. Rainier or Mt St. Helen, and the Southern OR coast). But now we are thinking, since we already drove so far north, maybe we should try to see more of BC.
We are thinking of either Victoria or Whistler, for a 2-3 night visit.
My husband is more drawn to Whistler, because of the mountain scenery, the gondolas, the hiking and so forth.
I am a little torn - I like the idea of the ferry ride over to Vancouver island, and the Butchart gardens and the museum in Victoria sound nice (although I think neither the castle nor the hotel would be our cup of tea), plus we have the option to explore one other area such as the West Coast (if we stay 3nights).
My questions are: Since we are already staying on the sunshine coast (and planning to visit beaches in that area), will Vancouver island be more of the same?
And since we are starting from Tahoe (or Squaw Valley, to be exact), will Whistler just be a larger version of that? In other words, is the scenery comparable to the high Sierras in California? Is Mt. Rainier possibly an equally good destination for a little hiking and alpine setting (even though we'd like to do some major hikes, the kids will prevent us from doing much of that).
Lastly, I am obviously open to other suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Jasper and Banff and Glacier
- 2 Early 30's Couple Spending Two weeks in Coastal Maine and Canada
- 3 national parks of Newfoundland
- 4 Been to Stratford (ON) Recently?
- 5 Newfoundland Trip Ideas - August
- 6 Where to stay to break up long drive between Yoho National Park & Whistler?
- 7 Niagara/ toronto/wine tastings in 2.5 days?
- 8 Preliminary Newfoundland Itinerary
- 9 Camping in Newfoundland and Labrador
- 10 Apartments in Montreal and Quebec
- 11 Northern route from Toronto to northern Newfoundland
- 12 Newfoundland Itinerary help
- 13 Places about 40 minutes from Toronto
- 14 Itinerary Help - Vancouver Area
- 15 Long Weekend Toronto
- 16 Cape Breton Island in second half of May
- 17 Vancouver transportation from Port to Airport
- 18 Vancouver Island in 8 day
- 19 1 Night between Charlotteown & Halifax
- 20 Help planning trip to Calgary/Lake Louise
- 21 roadtrip from Niagara Falls ON to east coast
- 22 My Trip to Montreal and Quebec City
- 23 My first trip to Toronto
- 24 where to stay in Prince Edward Island
- 25 Shuttle service from YYZ