we are planning a big road trip (starting in Lake Tahoe, CA) to BC this summer (starting mid-july). We plan to take it fairly slow, because we have 3 and 6 year old girls.
Our first Canadian destination is the sunshine coast, where we'll be staying for 5 nights in a cottage. After that, we have reserved 3 nights in Vancouver. Originally, we had planned to return to the US and slowly make our way back after this (via Seattle, Mt. Rainier or Mt St. Helen, and the Southern OR coast). But now we are thinking, since we already drove so far north, maybe we should try to see more of BC.
We are thinking of either Victoria or Whistler, for a 2-3 night visit.
My husband is more drawn to Whistler, because of the mountain scenery, the gondolas, the hiking and so forth.
I am a little torn - I like the idea of the ferry ride over to Vancouver island, and the Butchart gardens and the museum in Victoria sound nice (although I think neither the castle nor the hotel would be our cup of tea), plus we have the option to explore one other area such as the West Coast (if we stay 3nights).
My questions are: Since we are already staying on the sunshine coast (and planning to visit beaches in that area), will Vancouver island be more of the same?
And since we are starting from Tahoe (or Squaw Valley, to be exact), will Whistler just be a larger version of that? In other words, is the scenery comparable to the high Sierras in California? Is Mt. Rainier possibly an equally good destination for a little hiking and alpine setting (even though we'd like to do some major hikes, the kids will prevent us from doing much of that).
Lastly, I am obviously open to other suggestions!
Victoria or Whistler? See Both? Skip both?
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Amazon FREE Kindle book - Time Management
- 2 Stay inside Algonquin park
- 3 NB, PEI, Nova Scotia in Oct
- 4 Quebec City - week before Christmas or New Year
- 5 Good Restaurants nearby Niagra?
- 6 Long-overdue Trip report for Ontario, Albert and British Columbia.
- 7 Moraine lake / larch valley / sentinal pass vs plain of six glaciers
- 8 Brian zucker : choosing between Toronto and Niagara falls
- 9 Orange County car services for birthdays
- 10 Rockies Weather Profile for September?
- 11 Hoping for Autumn Colors
- 12 Looking for gallery wine events in Vancouver.
- 13 Any good ideas for Western Canada?
- 14 gasrun.ca, ever wonder how much it costs to drive from A to B?
- 15 Halifax-PEI
- 16 PEI and Nova Scotia
- 17 4 days in Vancouver Island
- 18 Torn about our July multi-generation vacation
- 19 Montreal for work -- what to see?
- 20 Connecticut to Nova Scotia
- 21 Part of Larch Valley Hike Banff versus Going to Yoho
- 22 Quebec City hotel near VIA Rail station
- 23 Need help planning travel around New Brunswick and Nova Scotia
- 24 8 days in Nova Scotia & PEI
- 25 Aloft or Sheraton near Montreal Airport