we are planning a big road trip (starting in Lake Tahoe, CA) to BC this summer (starting mid-july). We plan to take it fairly slow, because we have 3 and 6 year old girls.
Our first Canadian destination is the sunshine coast, where we'll be staying for 5 nights in a cottage. After that, we have reserved 3 nights in Vancouver. Originally, we had planned to return to the US and slowly make our way back after this (via Seattle, Mt. Rainier or Mt St. Helen, and the Southern OR coast). But now we are thinking, since we already drove so far north, maybe we should try to see more of BC.
We are thinking of either Victoria or Whistler, for a 2-3 night visit.
My husband is more drawn to Whistler, because of the mountain scenery, the gondolas, the hiking and so forth.
I am a little torn - I like the idea of the ferry ride over to Vancouver island, and the Butchart gardens and the museum in Victoria sound nice (although I think neither the castle nor the hotel would be our cup of tea), plus we have the option to explore one other area such as the West Coast (if we stay 3nights).
My questions are: Since we are already staying on the sunshine coast (and planning to visit beaches in that area), will Vancouver island be more of the same?
And since we are starting from Tahoe (or Squaw Valley, to be exact), will Whistler just be a larger version of that? In other words, is the scenery comparable to the high Sierras in California? Is Mt. Rainier possibly an equally good destination for a little hiking and alpine setting (even though we'd like to do some major hikes, the kids will prevent us from doing much of that).
Lastly, I am obviously open to other suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Easy love spells call 0027760981414 usa canada australia dubai uae
- 2 Hotel near Stanley Parc
- 3 car seat requirements in Canada for kids
- 4 Calgary, Banff, and Jasper
- 5 Pre- and post-cruise plans
- 6 Maritime provinces
- 7 YUL to Old Montreal with kids
- 8 Bears in Britsch Columbia and Alberta
- 9 Nova Scotia Wineries
- 10 Nova Scotia Cabot Trail- Which hikes to consider?
- 11 Nova Scotia & New Brunswick and New Foundland
- 12 Help with Niagara Falls and Toronto planning, please!
- 13 RoadTrip Toronto- PEI
- 14 Traveling to the maritimes this summer
- 15 Quebec to yarmouth
- 16 6 hr Montreal Layover
- 17 Winter resort offering snowshoeing, dog sledding and boat trip
- 18 Overnight en route to Fogo Island
- 19 Storing luggage in Vancouver
- 20 Work Visa Cutt off Age
- 21 Visit to the Maritimes Aug 2 - 11
- 22 Restaurants in Banff and Jasper / Canadian Rockies
- 23 5 hour layover in Toronto on a Tuesday
- 24 Toronto lodging for 15 people - something unique?
- 25 Northern route from Toronto to northern Newfoundland