we are planning a big road trip (starting in Lake Tahoe, CA) to BC this summer (starting mid-july). We plan to take it fairly slow, because we have 3 and 6 year old girls.
Our first Canadian destination is the sunshine coast, where we'll be staying for 5 nights in a cottage. After that, we have reserved 3 nights in Vancouver. Originally, we had planned to return to the US and slowly make our way back after this (via Seattle, Mt. Rainier or Mt St. Helen, and the Southern OR coast). But now we are thinking, since we already drove so far north, maybe we should try to see more of BC.
We are thinking of either Victoria or Whistler, for a 2-3 night visit.
My husband is more drawn to Whistler, because of the mountain scenery, the gondolas, the hiking and so forth.
I am a little torn - I like the idea of the ferry ride over to Vancouver island, and the Butchart gardens and the museum in Victoria sound nice (although I think neither the castle nor the hotel would be our cup of tea), plus we have the option to explore one other area such as the West Coast (if we stay 3nights).
My questions are: Since we are already staying on the sunshine coast (and planning to visit beaches in that area), will Vancouver island be more of the same?
And since we are starting from Tahoe (or Squaw Valley, to be exact), will Whistler just be a larger version of that? In other words, is the scenery comparable to the high Sierras in California? Is Mt. Rainier possibly an equally good destination for a little hiking and alpine setting (even though we'd like to do some major hikes, the kids will prevent us from doing much of that).
Lastly, I am obviously open to other suggestions!
Victoria or Whistler? See Both? Skip both?
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Three days in Halifax - One being daytrip to PEI.
- 2 Relentless Beauty - Panecott's Trip to the Canadian Rockies
- 3 Lake Louise/Jasper trip report
- 4 Free parking in Halifax near Waterfront.
- 5 iPhone in Canada
- 6 Victoria Dining
- 7 Christmas Day in Quebec City
- 8 Is anyone has visited eagle lake in ontario
- 9 Quebec City trip.report
- 10 Bromont - a perfect getaway
- 11 Family holiday in Canada ( winter)..accommodation in Montana and Idaho too!
- 12 Ottawa to East Coast Maritimes
- 13 Quebic City or Montreal
- 14 Fabulous five days/Montreal & Quebec City
- 15 ft nelson bc
- 16 Canadian Rockies Trip: Hiking priority
- 17 Trip Report - Banff & Jasper - Early Agust 2014
- 18 Happy Thanksgiving!!!
- 19 Niagara Falls October 10-12
- 20 canada in the winter?
- 21 Canada in winter
- 22 10 Day Trip to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick
- 23 Banff - Jasper weekend itinerary October
- 24 HELP revamping Nova Scotia trip due to illness
- 25 Telegraph cove