I am planning a trip from Vancouver through the Rockies to Calgary this July. I know it is late, that's why I need your help. Please comment on the general itinerary, and, more importantly, tell me what should be reserved first. For instance, I presume I can always find somewhere to stay in Vancouver, but what about the parks?
We are a couple in our sixties in good health. We are flying from Washington, DC. We don't want to drive too long on any one day. Our interests include wildlife, scenery, culture, good food and historical sites. We are not interested in shopping, art museums or going somewhere you have to be dressed up.
Very tentative itinerary
Day 1 Fly to Vancouver
Days 2-4 Vancouver
Day 5 Pick up rental car and drive to Okanagan Valley
Day 6 Okanagan Valley
Day 7 Drive to Banff
Day 8-11 Banff and Lake Louise
Day 12 - Drive Icefield Parkway to Jasper
Day 13 Jasper
Day 14 Drive to Calgary
Day 15 Fly home
Is it worth adding another day to visit Victoria as a day trip from Vancouver? Should we base ourselves in Banff for days 8-11 or spend part of that time at Lake Louise? Any other advice?
Thanks in advance.
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 VANCOUVER RESTAURANT WITH A VIEW
- 2 Victoria Island
- 3 Montreal Quebec road trip with kids
- 4 Accommodation in halifax
- 5 Area between Montreal and Lake Champlain, VT
- 6 Itinerary help needed: Seattle, Olympic National Park,Victorian Vancouver
- 7 Newfoundland by Public Transit! Can't Be Done!
- 8 Vancouver to Seattle, Possibly Victoria
- 9 Two week taster
- 10 Is it possible to drive to Nunavut?
- 11 Part Montreal, Part ?? 9 days
- 12 Fairmont Queen Elizabeth or Hotel Le St. James
- 13 Need help with Banff and Jasper Trip planning
- 14 Translink and itinerary questions
- 15 Driving the Cabot Trail
- 16 Montreal Restaurants
- 17 Traveling with your bike
- 18 Would love to hear thoughts on Nova Scotia, NB and a dip into Maine
- 19 Halifax/PE in 6 nights
- 20 Bay of Fundy
- 21 Buying on Road Trip US>Canada>US
- 22 Banff/Yoho/Kootenay/Jasper Travelers Advice Please
- 23 Icebergs, Whales, Puffins and Potholes - A Newfoundland Adventure
- 24 First Hikes - Flatlanders
- 25 Banff - best route to visit these highlights
Vancouver to Calgary - advice on itinerary and what to reserve first