A very quick overview
As always, my thanks to all Fodorites who helped me in the planning of this trip.
We flew into Vancouver in late April, spent a week in a rental apartment near Main Street and 30th.
Took a ferry to Victoria and stayed overnight before picking up a car and driving to Ucluelet for 4 nights, returning for another night in Victoria then ferry back and three nights in another rental in North Vancouver.
We loved: Stanley Park, The Museum of Anthropology, Lynn Canyon Park, Victoria, Ucluelet, Whale Watching
Slightly disappointed by: Granville Island, The Aquarium, Chinatown - not to say any of these were bad, but not as enjoyable as expected.
Surprised by: The number of homeless people/beggars (I can understand why, geographically). Prices - particularly house prices and the cost of foods in supermarkets - I looked at salaries for my profession and immediately decided I would simply not be able to afford to live here (I appreciate there must be cheaper areas than those in which I was staying).
Dining out - was hit and miss: cannot really say we had a bad meal, but some were indifferent. Loved the huge numbers of local beers available some were exceptionally good - there must be 30+ breweries in Vancouver.
Overall we had a great time. With the benefit of hindsight I'd probably have spent slightly less time in Vancouver and more on the Island.
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 HP Printer Errors CONTACT ☎ 1:888:482:3831 Technical SUPP0RT Care
- 2 Newfoundland by Public Transit! Can't Be Done!
- 3 Toronto to Gros Morne National Park
- 4 9 Day Photography trip to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland
- 5 BC road trip advice
- 6 Icebergs, Whales, Puffins and Potholes - A Newfoundland Adventure
- 7 Where to eat in Vancouver and Sidney
- 8 Vancouver & Vancouver Island
- 9 Ottawa transportation question
- 10 Trip to Montreal with Daughters
- 11 Aug or Sep Trip to Cape Breton
- 12 Christmas vacation in Montreal
- 13 vancouver to jasper and banff in 9 days
- 14 Driving around Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alberta and BC
- 15 Solo Trip to BC in August
- 16 princess cruise to new england and canada
- 17 Summer Day Trips From Toronto
- 18 Newfoundland and Labrador with Two Nights in St. Pierre and Miquelon
- 19 Traveling with your bike
- 20 Driving from Vancouver to Anchorage
- 21 New Jersey to Quebec City
- 22 one week trip to Nova Scotia
- 23 Alberta Trip_2017
- 24 Day Trip from Niagara Falls, NY
- 25 4 Day Photography trip to Quebec during July 4th
Vancouver and Vancouver Island - a quick summary
A very quick overview