A very quick overview
As always, my thanks to all Fodorites who helped me in the planning of this trip.
We flew into Vancouver in late April, spent a week in a rental apartment near Main Street and 30th.
Took a ferry to Victoria and stayed overnight before picking up a car and driving to Ucluelet for 4 nights, returning for another night in Victoria then ferry back and three nights in another rental in North Vancouver.
We loved: Stanley Park, The Museum of Anthropology, Lynn Canyon Park, Victoria, Ucluelet, Whale Watching
Slightly disappointed by: Granville Island, The Aquarium, Chinatown - not to say any of these were bad, but not as enjoyable as expected.
Surprised by: The number of homeless people/beggars (I can understand why, geographically). Prices - particularly house prices and the cost of foods in supermarkets - I looked at salaries for my profession and immediately decided I would simply not be able to afford to live here (I appreciate there must be cheaper areas than those in which I was staying).
Dining out - was hit and miss: cannot really say we had a bad meal, but some were indifferent. Loved the huge numbers of local beers available some were exceptionally good - there must be 30+ breweries in Vancouver.
Overall we had a great time. With the benefit of hindsight I'd probably have spent slightly less time in Vancouver and more on the Island.
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 http://www.toptryloburn.com/nitric-alpha-no2/
- 2 BrITISH COLUMBIA IN 4 DAYS
- 3 Honeymoon in Canada. SUGGESTIONS?
- 4 Banff - best route to visit these highlights
- 5 need accommodation suggestions for Banff and Jasper
- 6 Banff conference- 2 days to sightsee
- 7 Nova Scotia and Quebec
- 8 7 Day Trip to PEI and Cape Breton Islands with Vegetarian Options
- 9 Best Jasper Campground
- 10 Freedom of speech in reviews
- 11 RV trip Calgary to Vancouver
- 12 Car Rental from Montreal to Boston
- 13 Victoria in December
- 14 Aug or Sep Trip to Cape Breton
- 15 Opportunity for business loan
- 16 BEWARE! - CAR RENTAL NIGHTMARE! London, Ontario
- 17 Road trip from Minneapolis to Ontario.. suggestions for 91yr old
- 18 Nova Scotia - October
- 19 Smoke at Banff and Jasper?
- 20 Low Altitude Mountain Destinations
- 21 Across Canada by Train
- 22 Mont Tremblant attractions
- 23 Victoria to Vancouver (best travel options)
- 24 Nova Scotia
- 25 Halifax/PE in 6 nights
Vancouver and Vancouver Island - a quick summary
A very quick overview