A very quick overview
As always, my thanks to all Fodorites who helped me in the planning of this trip.
We flew into Vancouver in late April, spent a week in a rental apartment near Main Street and 30th.
Took a ferry to Victoria and stayed overnight before picking up a car and driving to Ucluelet for 4 nights, returning for another night in Victoria then ferry back and three nights in another rental in North Vancouver.
We loved: Stanley Park, The Museum of Anthropology, Lynn Canyon Park, Victoria, Ucluelet, Whale Watching
Slightly disappointed by: Granville Island, The Aquarium, Chinatown - not to say any of these were bad, but not as enjoyable as expected.
Surprised by: The number of homeless people/beggars (I can understand why, geographically). Prices - particularly house prices and the cost of foods in supermarkets - I looked at salaries for my profession and immediately decided I would simply not be able to afford to live here (I appreciate there must be cheaper areas than those in which I was staying).
Dining out - was hit and miss: cannot really say we had a bad meal, but some were indifferent. Loved the huge numbers of local beers available some were exceptionally good - there must be 30+ breweries in Vancouver.
Overall we had a great time. With the benefit of hindsight I'd probably have spent slightly less time in Vancouver and more on the Island.
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 KYOCERA PRINTER 1800:681:7208 installation CONTACT KYOCERA Tec*h care 24/7
- 2 I'm new here
- 3 J-n-K Services, Inc.
- 4 Quebec City/Montreal for Christmas
- 5 May2018 Banff accomodations
- 6 romantic dinner in Montreal suggestions
- 7 Vancouver to Seattle, Possibly Victoria
- 8 Vancouver Island in Winter
- 9 How long to drive from Vancouver to Jasper to Banff to calgary
- 10 Canadian Rockies Timing for Summer 2018
- 11 Saguenay & Sydney...Anything to See/Do?
- 12 Vancouver and Vancouver Island - a quick summary
- 13 Vancouver & Vancouver Island
- 14 Four days near(ish) from Vancouver
- 15 Onoir - eating in complete darkness
- 16 Neighbourhoods recommendation in Vancouver, BC
- 17 going to banff/jasper in may 2018
- 18 BC or Alberta drives
- 19 Torino in february
- 20 Saint Lawrence River Seaway
- 21 Vancouver to Seattle?
- 22 Canadian Thanksgiving Long Weekend Roadtrip Ideas
- 23 Oct driving conditions in the Canadian Rockies
- 24 Skiing in Whistler
- 25 Toronto Family Trip with Teens, kids, and Babies
Vancouver and Vancouver Island - a quick summary
A very quick overview