We just got back from a 7 night trip to Glacier and Waterton Lakes National Parks. Our main focus was hiking and wildlife. We flew into and out of Helena, spent our first night there and then headed to Many Glacier for two nights, Waterton Lakes for three nights and then back to Helena for another night before flying home. We planned this trip two months ago when airfares to Montana were on sale.
Helena - Marriott Fairfield Inn - comfortable, clean, convenient, friendly staff, generic.
Many Glacier - Swiftcurrent Motor Lodge, a Pinetop Motor Inn room - These are the ones with the inside entrances. The room was small, the bathroom tiny, the shower bordering on claustrophobic and the walls were thin. It was, however, clean and you can't beat the location (Many Glacier).
Last year we stayed at Many Glacier Hotel in a larger than average lakeside room with balcony (I am not sure how we got so lucky as to get that room, but we did). That room enhanced our wildlife viewing opportunities - we were able to sit out on the balcony in the early morning and in the evening and spot bears on the hill, moose across the lake, beavers swimming by and even a pair of trumpeters swans. A lakeside room with balcony is definitely worth the extra cost, but without balcony, not such a great value.
Waterton Lakes - Shintangle Springs B&B - The B&B is located just outside the park on rte 6, 12 minutes to the center of Waterton Township, in the park. The room was pristine and spacious. The innkeeper, Heather, was personable and helpful without being intrusive. Breakfasts were excellent (and large). The guest lounge area has a small kitchen area (sink, refrigerator, microwave and coffee pots). The refrigerator is stocked with yogurts, bottled water and fruit cups. There is a nice selection of coffees if you want to brew a pot during the day.
We really enjoyed our stay at Shintangle and will likely stay there again sometime in the next couple of years.
Well this is all for now - more later on food, hikes and wildlife.
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 This Is Naturally And How To Obtain A Larger love Quickly
- 2 Trip to Tornoto
- 3 Vancouver 4 days
- 4 Marvellous Montreal
- 5 Cross country road trip in Déc 2016
- 6 Hotels in Montreal near McGill University
- 7 Please advice on 1.5 day itinerary in Jasper, Banff
- 8 Looks for Sites in Manitoba
- 9 Little over three days in Vancouver
- 10 Quebec Province & City,Montreal
- 11 One week in August British Columbia or Pacific Northwest
- 12 Gettinng around Jasper
- 13 Help Seattle Vancouver Is Whistler vs.Via Rail rockies
- 14 Nova Scotia Late Aug. are Reservations Necessary
- 15 Nova Scotia & PEI Hiking
- 16 Help - Winnipeg to vancouver roadtrip
- 17 Early 30's Couple Spending Two weeks in Coastal Maine and Canada
- 18 Travel Tips: Backcountry Camping
- 19 Nova Scotia 10 days July Couple for Relaxation and Nature
- 20 Vancouver customs time??
- 21 Planning a trip to Winnipeg
- 22 Cell Phones in Canada
- 23 Trip to winnipeg
- 24 Canada Honeymoon Itinerary for the Kiwis! (5 weeks)
- 25 things to see between fredricton and riviere du loup
Trip Report - Waterton Lakes & Glacier NP