We just got back from a 7 night trip to Glacier and Waterton Lakes National Parks. Our main focus was hiking and wildlife. We flew into and out of Helena, spent our first night there and then headed to Many Glacier for two nights, Waterton Lakes for three nights and then back to Helena for another night before flying home. We planned this trip two months ago when airfares to Montana were on sale.
Helena - Marriott Fairfield Inn - comfortable, clean, convenient, friendly staff, generic.
Many Glacier - Swiftcurrent Motor Lodge, a Pinetop Motor Inn room - These are the ones with the inside entrances. The room was small, the bathroom tiny, the shower bordering on claustrophobic and the walls were thin. It was, however, clean and you can't beat the location (Many Glacier).
Last year we stayed at Many Glacier Hotel in a larger than average lakeside room with balcony (I am not sure how we got so lucky as to get that room, but we did). That room enhanced our wildlife viewing opportunities - we were able to sit out on the balcony in the early morning and in the evening and spot bears on the hill, moose across the lake, beavers swimming by and even a pair of trumpeters swans. A lakeside room with balcony is definitely worth the extra cost, but without balcony, not such a great value.
Waterton Lakes - Shintangle Springs B&B - The B&B is located just outside the park on rte 6, 12 minutes to the center of Waterton Township, in the park. The room was pristine and spacious. The innkeeper, Heather, was personable and helpful without being intrusive. Breakfasts were excellent (and large). The guest lounge area has a small kitchen area (sink, refrigerator, microwave and coffee pots). The refrigerator is stocked with yogurts, bottled water and fruit cups. There is a nice selection of coffees if you want to brew a pot during the day.
We really enjoyed our stay at Shintangle and will likely stay there again sometime in the next couple of years.
Well this is all for now - more later on food, hikes and wildlife.
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 CANON printer 1:800:681:7208 installations CONTACT ☎ CANON TEC*h care 24/7
- 2 How long to drive from Vancouver to Jasper to Banff to calgary
- 3 May2018 Banff accomodations
- 4 Canadian Rockies Timing for Summer 2018
- 5 Saguenay & Sydney...Anything to See/Do?
- 6 Vancouver and Vancouver Island - a quick summary
- 7 Vancouver & Vancouver Island
- 8 Four days near(ish) from Vancouver
- 9 Onoir - eating in complete darkness
- 10 Neighbourhoods recommendation in Vancouver, BC
- 11 going to banff/jasper in may 2018
- 12 BC or Alberta drives
- 13 Torino in february
- 14 Saint Lawrence River Seaway
- 15 Vancouver to Seattle?
- 16 Canadian Thanksgiving Long Weekend Roadtrip Ideas
- 17 Oct driving conditions in the Canadian Rockies
- 18 Skiing in Whistler
- 19 Toronto Family Trip with Teens, kids, and Babies
- 20 lodging in whistler
- 21 Vancouver to Vancouver island
- 22 Fall road trip with a dog Toronto to East Coast
- 23 My Family Travle Vlog
- 24 Banff - best route to visit these highlights
- 25 Nova Scotia: Fort Louisbourg?
Trip Report - Waterton Lakes & Glacier NP