We just got back from a 7 night trip to Glacier and Waterton Lakes National Parks. Our main focus was hiking and wildlife. We flew into and out of Helena, spent our first night there and then headed to Many Glacier for two nights, Waterton Lakes for three nights and then back to Helena for another night before flying home. We planned this trip two months ago when airfares to Montana were on sale.
Helena - Marriott Fairfield Inn - comfortable, clean, convenient, friendly staff, generic.
Many Glacier - Swiftcurrent Motor Lodge, a Pinetop Motor Inn room - These are the ones with the inside entrances. The room was small, the bathroom tiny, the shower bordering on claustrophobic and the walls were thin. It was, however, clean and you can't beat the location (Many Glacier).
Last year we stayed at Many Glacier Hotel in a larger than average lakeside room with balcony (I am not sure how we got so lucky as to get that room, but we did). That room enhanced our wildlife viewing opportunities - we were able to sit out on the balcony in the early morning and in the evening and spot bears on the hill, moose across the lake, beavers swimming by and even a pair of trumpeters swans. A lakeside room with balcony is definitely worth the extra cost, but without balcony, not such a great value.
Waterton Lakes - Shintangle Springs B&B - The B&B is located just outside the park on rte 6, 12 minutes to the center of Waterton Township, in the park. The room was pristine and spacious. The innkeeper, Heather, was personable and helpful without being intrusive. Breakfasts were excellent (and large). The guest lounge area has a small kitchen area (sink, refrigerator, microwave and coffee pots). The refrigerator is stocked with yogurts, bottled water and fruit cups. There is a nice selection of coffees if you want to brew a pot during the day.
We really enjoyed our stay at Shintangle and will likely stay there again sometime in the next couple of years.
Well this is all for now - more later on food, hikes and wildlife.
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Niagara/ toronto/wine tastings in 2.5 days?
- 2 Preliminary Newfoundland Itinerary
- 3 Camping in Newfoundland and Labrador
- 4 Apartments in Montreal and Quebec
- 5 Early 30's Couple Spending Two weeks in Coastal Maine and Canada
- 6 Northern route from Toronto to northern Newfoundland
- 7 Newfoundland Itinerary help
- 8 Places about 40 minutes from Toronto
- 9 Itinerary Help - Vancouver Area
- 10 Long Weekend Toronto
- 11 Cape Breton Island in second half of May
- 12 Vancouver transportation from Port to Airport
- 13 Vancouver Island in 8 day
- 14 1 Night between Charlotteown & Halifax
- 15 Help planning trip to Calgary/Lake Louise
- 16 roadtrip from Niagara Falls ON to east coast
- 17 Newfoundland Trip Ideas - August
- 18 My Trip to Montreal and Quebec City
- 19 My first trip to Toronto
- 20 where to stay in Prince Edward Island
- 21 Shuttle service from YYZ
- 22 East Coast Road trip from Ottawa to NB, PEI, NS (14 days door-to-door)
- 23 Visa required in Victoria for 6 hour cruise ship stop?
- 24 Cross border rental
- 25 Day or Weekend trips from Toronto
Trip Report - Waterton Lakes & Glacier NP