I just came back from an AMAZING road trip with my girl in Canada BC. 2 weeks of pure magic !!
-----> [Video here](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c9ikubBU1g) <-----
Here are few of my tips to make the best of a road trip in a rather short amount of time:
INTRO: Depending on your time you may choose other options, but we had 9 days for a road trip around Vancouver.
So we decided to drive around Vancouver Island. Because the other destinations were kinda too far in driving time (rockies etc.) We didn't want to commit one day to get there and another day to return. And this vacations ended up being the best vacations I EVER HAD. (watch the video if you are not convinced )
WHAT TO RENT: After loads of research and time spent studying different options, we found the best option to be renting a Van, cheaper than RV, and able to sleep inside. Not relying on sleeping in hotels, B&B etc is going to save you tons of money ! We found an amazing option, renting "Hippie" Vans on this website: www.wickedcampers.com .
The rooftop tent is so amazing, 2/3 min to set it up and here you go, you can sleep wherever you'd like ! Plus you got to love those paintings
WHERE TO GO: Talking about Vancouver Island, the central part and the south easily covered us a full busy week. We changed spot every day. There was so much diversity !! Not a single day was the same, every place had it's own little thing that amazed us. The west coast from Sooke to Port Renfrew is absolutely stunning, with loads of national parks and amazing view of the USA right in front. French Beach national park is a quick (but definitely worth) visit. Pretty much all the national parks that we visited were worth the time spent. We decided not to go to Tofino because of the time we had left. It's a good 6 hours drive to get there and come back. (it's a dead end road). But it might be for another road trip there !
WHERE TO SLEEP: Wild camping being not clearly legal, (even though we found no official website stating it wasn't) we decided to sleep in campgrounds. While there is a lot of them, there is a lots of RV campings without any interest. We simply slept in all the Campground linked to the national parks. They are all pretty much in the middle of the trees and rivers. You can find all of them here: www.gocampingbc.com
They are roughly around 20 dollars CA each. They usually don't have showers nor electricity, but they offer clean toilets and water. We simply washed our selves in the many rivers that the island offered us. (Wild adventure feeling intensifie ) and bought an electric inverter (30 CA$) to plug on the Van. That was clearly enough for phone charging, camera and computer.
Here are few tips for a nice road trip on Vancouver Island.
Feel free to add suggestions that I might have forgot
Have a nice trip !
(Sorry for my English, it's not my native language !)
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Jasper/Banff holiday help
- 2 Transportation questions Vancouver and Victoria
- 3 Transportation documents between SEA and YVR
- 4 Help with Niagara Falls and Toronto planning, please!
- 5 9 Days in a Camper Van, Alberta Rockies Itinerary
- 6 10 Days in Nova Scotia
- 7 Small group tour for my parents
- 8 Niagara Falls/Toronto Itinerary Help
- 9 Romantic 4-Day July Getaway Ideas Needed
- 10 Hotel near Stanley Parc
- 11 Looking for travel lapel pins HELP
- 12 Itinerary feedback, please
- 13 Need Help!! 1 week itinerary vancouver, whistler & islands
- 14 Vancouver and possibly elsewhere for two weeks?
- 15 Ocean Odyssey: Vancouver Island (and Vancouver)
- 16 Canada's 150th anniversary in the Maritimes
- 17 Prince Edward Island-must do things
- 18 RoadTrip Toronto- PEI
- 19 Best Way
- 20 Nova Scotia & New Brunswick and New Foundland
- 21 Montreal and Quebec City in August
- 22 9 hour layover in Montreal, what to do?
- 23 Bay of Fundy
- 24 Toronto 2 nights from Buffalo
- 25 Best way to do Vancouver to Calgary as a group
Tips for an awesome road trip in Canada BC !