We are now planning the first round of our See Canada quest (had to cancel at the planning stage last summer – job changes, etc.).
We are a family of four – our kids are 15 and 13. We generally prefer unhurried vacations (certainly not one where we are busy ticking things off a list). From this vacation, our expectations are stunning scenery and lobster! Not particularly active in terms of hiking etc., but wouldn’t mind renting bikes one day and following an easy trail.
We have two weeks (mid August) and were originally planning to cover Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. As I am reading more about our destinations, it is fast becoming evident that this is way too much to cover in two weeks. Additionally, we were originally planning to fly into Halifax and rent a car from there – however, the additional cost associated with airfare and car rental is just not making sense to me. Hence, we have decided to drive from and back to Toronto – this naturally takes away two days from the beginning and two from the end of the trip. So now we are looking at Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia only, and leaving Newfoundland to another time for a dedicated trip.
It seems that it might be best to drive straight from Toronto to Quebec City (9 hours or so?) and spend the night there and then do a similar run to Moncton or St. John the next day. From there on, we spend about 6 days on NS and 4 in PEI.
First few questions would be:
1) Alternatives to the overnight in Quebec City - we will probably go Quebec City sometime on a long weekend anyway and in this trip it is not a destination, just a little rest to recharge and drive on.
2) Ditto for Moncton/St. John – if we could make the trip from Quebec City to Nova Scotia a bit more interesting and sample a bit of New Brunswick along the way, all the better. Plus we have to drive back this way as well, so I am keen to explore alternatives.
3) Nova Scotia – definitely want to spend a night (or two) at the base of (or along) Cabot Trail and Bay of Fundy, Peggy’s Cove. Would love to hear some suggestions.
4) Prince Edward Island –haven’t read much about PEI so far, but thought I’d ask the question here and explore any suggestions.
Look forward to your suggestions. Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Vancouver to Seattle?
- 2 Onoir - eating in complete darkness
- 3 Neighbourhoods recommendation in Vancouver, BC
- 4 Oct driving conditions in the Canadian Rockies
- 5 Skiing in Whistler
- 6 Toronto Family Trip with Teens, kids, and Babies
- 7 lodging in whistler
- 8 BC or Alberta drives
- 9 Torino in february
- 10 Vancouver to Vancouver island
- 11 Fall road trip with a dog Toronto to East Coast
- 12 My Family Travle Vlog
- 13 Banff - best route to visit these highlights
- 14 Nova Scotia: Fort Louisbourg?
- 15 What is famous in canada?
- 16 Looking for fellow travellers
- 17 Banff conference- 2 days to sightsee
- 18 Pacific Central Rail Station Vancouver--Taxi?
- 19 Boston to Cabot Trail for foliage
- 20 Happy Canada Day
- 21 Calgary plus Canada Rockies- Advice
- 22 Across Canada by Train
- 23 Montreal & Quebec City
- 24 Ottawa in December
- 25 Recommended car hire