We are now planning the first round of our See Canada quest (had to cancel at the planning stage last summer – job changes, etc.).
We are a family of four – our kids are 15 and 13. We generally prefer unhurried vacations (certainly not one where we are busy ticking things off a list). From this vacation, our expectations are stunning scenery and lobster! Not particularly active in terms of hiking etc., but wouldn’t mind renting bikes one day and following an easy trail.
We have two weeks (mid August) and were originally planning to cover Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. As I am reading more about our destinations, it is fast becoming evident that this is way too much to cover in two weeks. Additionally, we were originally planning to fly into Halifax and rent a car from there – however, the additional cost associated with airfare and car rental is just not making sense to me. Hence, we have decided to drive from and back to Toronto – this naturally takes away two days from the beginning and two from the end of the trip. So now we are looking at Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia only, and leaving Newfoundland to another time for a dedicated trip.
It seems that it might be best to drive straight from Toronto to Quebec City (9 hours or so?) and spend the night there and then do a similar run to Moncton or St. John the next day. From there on, we spend about 6 days on NS and 4 in PEI.
First few questions would be:
1) Alternatives to the overnight in Quebec City - we will probably go Quebec City sometime on a long weekend anyway and in this trip it is not a destination, just a little rest to recharge and drive on.
2) Ditto for Moncton/St. John – if we could make the trip from Quebec City to Nova Scotia a bit more interesting and sample a bit of New Brunswick along the way, all the better. Plus we have to drive back this way as well, so I am keen to explore alternatives.
3) Nova Scotia – definitely want to spend a night (or two) at the base of (or along) Cabot Trail and Bay of Fundy, Peggy’s Cove. Would love to hear some suggestions.
4) Prince Edward Island –haven’t read much about PEI so far, but thought I’d ask the question here and explore any suggestions.
Look forward to your suggestions. Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 One Week In Newfoundland itinerary advice.
- 2 First Time Trip To Canada!!
- 3 Vancouver 2016 Trip Report
- 4 First Time Trip to Canada
- 5 Bus trip packing for August, Vancouver & Banff
- 6 Niagra Falls
- 7 Calgary-Vancouver-Calgary 12-day road trip
- 8 Irish Loop, Newfoundland
- 9 Seattle/Vancouver Retreat
- 10 A week in Eastern Newfoundland
- 11 Road trip from Toronto to New Brunswick and back
- 12 a visit to st john's one of the oldest cities
- 13 Need Help for First Trip to Toronto
- 14 Maritimes Trip - First Time 2016
- 15 Transporation - Quebec City to Montreal?
- 16 How were you treated in Quebec?
- 17 ideas for a short trip near Niagara
- 18 Dog Sled, Aurora & Niagara!!
- 19 Banff / Jasper 6 days
- 20 Road Trip to Calgary
- 21 Montreal to Quebec Ciry
- 22 A Week in Nova Scotia
- 23 Thousand Islands - Must Dos
- 24 Thousand Islands - Hiking
- 25 Seattle/ONP/Vancouver/Whistler