I am hoping to go on a roadtrip with 5 close friends to the 13 provinces and territories of Canada as well as the 49 states (Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find an RV to drive across the Pacific in, so Hawaii won't be happening this time ). I am Canadian, the rest of my group is American. We have one week for each province or state (62 weeks total), but we will probably adjust that so small areas (or boring ones!) get less time, and exciting places like British Columbia or California get a bit more time.
Within our group, on egirl owns a fairly large RV that we plan on using; I do have a question though; are we better to tow a car, or rent cars in large cities (Los Angeles, etc)?
We were initially planning to start on the East Coast, and work South then West, but due to seasonal changes, we decided to start in Ontario, work along western Canada and Alaska; before heading South. Our time frame is May 2014 until August 2015.
I have taken several short car roadtrips (longest being 2-3 days driving each way - with 17 hour drive days being put in) but I have never driven an RV....Even though it is not my RV, In most situations I will be driving the most.
If anyone has taken extended or RV roadtrips, or roadtrips across the US and Canada, any advice you could give me would be fabulous!
We have a rough budget in place (covering travel insurance, repairs, gas, food and lodging) but nothing is definite as I don't have a definite itinerary yet.
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Is my itinerary the best Ontario loop?
- 2 Kensington Market
- 3 hotel in vancouver
- 4 trip report Quebec City and Montreal
- 5 5 days in Banff and Lake Lousie
- 6 Forming itinerary--Moraine Lake to Jasper to Banff Springs this Sept.
- 7 Thoughts on a honeymoon in Quebec City
- 8 Best place for wedding flowers
- 9 PEI/Bay of Fundy or PEI/Cape Breton in 5 nights/6 days
- 10 yarmouth,nova scotia
- 11 Underwhelmed by Montreal - any suggestions?
- 12 Toronto Breakfast Places
- 13 Quebec Restaurant Suggestions
- 14 Ideas for extra night traveling from Canmore to Spokane
- 15 Visiting Toronto 2 days
- 16 Rainy Lake fishing trip
- 17 Trip to Niagara Falls/Toronto/Montreal/Quebec
- 18 NH to Nova Scotia
- 19 planning 3 weeks trip in western Canada
- 20 Banff Area In October
- 21 Venue for destination wedding!!
- 22 Is Prince Edward Island worth just a few hours?
- 23 Niagara Falls Advise
- 24 Ottawa recs?
- 25 Pow Wow, feating with Canadian aboriginals
Roadtrip to all provinces, territories + 49 United States?