I would appreciate it very much if people could critique/review my Ottawa itinerary. I didn't put any sightseeing down for Toronto because the purpose of going to Toronto is to visit relatives and a family grave. We've been to Toronto several times, & if we have free time, we'll probably just stroll around, shop & visit markets.
For Ottawa, I listed sightseeing, museums, etc., but they really are in no particular order. I just want to have everything written down in one place.
I have a few questions: Should we purchase tickets for the play at 1000 Islands Playhouse in advance? Is it worth it to take the 5 hour cruise so that we can tour the Boldt Castle (we don't have a lot of time in Gananonque)? Have I left out anything of importance?
July 23 (Sat) – Drive to Toronto
July 24 (Sunday) – Toronto
July 25 (Monday) – Toronto
July 26 (Tues) - Leave Toronto in the morning (no later than 10AM)
o Drive to Kingston, Ontario – 3 hours from Toronto
o Have lunch in Kingston (old historic town, former capital of Canada)
o Tour Fort Henry – Hours: 10AM – 5PM
• Visit time – 3 hours maximum
o Drive to Ottawa after we see Fort Henry.
o Should be 2 hour drive to Ottawa – will arrive in early evening, hopefully around 7PM.
o OVERNIGHT IN OTTAWA – Stay at McGee’s Inn on Daly St.
July 27 (Wed) – Ottawa
o Changing of the Guard Ceremony outside of Parliament @ 10AM
o Tour of Parliament Buildings
o Museum of Civilization - need at least an afternoon
o Take a walk along Rideau Canal
o Perhaps see a play at Theater Under the Stars in Strathcona Park @ 8PM – The Fan
July 28 (Thurs) – Ottawa
o Byward Market
o National Gallery of Canada (Art Gallery) – need at least two hours
o War Museum
July 29 (Friday) - Ottawa
o Drive to Gatineau Park in Quebec – beautiful scenery & lots of lakes
o Perhaps lunch in Wakefield – cute village with covered bridge
o OR perhaps stay in Ottawa & visit Museum of Nature & take boat cruise on the canal with Paul’s Boat Lines (or boat cruise of Ottawa River).
July 30 (Saturday) – Check out of McGee’s Inn
o Drive to Gananoque – 2 hour drive
o Boat cruise through Thousand Islands – either 2 ½ hour cruise or 5 hour cruise (this one includes tour of Boldt Castle) – Gananoque Boat Line
o See a play at 1000 Islands Playhouse – LEND ME A TENOR – 8PM (might purchase tickets in advance).
O OVERNIGHT IN GANANOQUE @ VICTORIA ROSE INN.
July 31 (Sunday) – Drive home – should be 6 hour drive.
o Drive along Thousand Islands Parkway.
o Stop at Skydeck Observation Tower in IvyLea (half way across soaring bridges).
Thanks for everyone's help!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Layover in Toronto
- 2 45th Birthday Getaway
- 3 45th Birthday Getaway
- 4 Fastest way Ottawa-Toronto
- 5 Nature drive in Canada and the U.S.
- 6 Travel agencies in Toronto, ON, Canada
- 7 Grround transportation from Vancouver Airport
- 8 Icefields Parkway
- 9 Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise, Calgary ITINERARY
- 10 Eastern Canada trip with 3 kids -- advice/itinerary needed
- 11 Driving From Vancouver to Jasper, Banff, Lake Louise all over
- 12 4 Days Vancouver & 5 in Whistler
- 13 Keltic Lodge
- 14 Cat Ferry to Nova Scotia?
- 15 Question on Staying on Nova Scotia
- 16 Niagara Falls - 2 Nights Family of 4
- 17 NS and PEI with elderly traveller
- 18 Vancouver & Vancouver Island
- 19 Vancouver to Toronto car or train?
- 20 Seattle and Vancouver/Victoria
- 21 Vancouver to Ft St John/return - summer road trip
- 22 Help with Niagara Falls and Toronto planning, please!
- 23 Banff to Jasper and back
- 24 Canmore for a few days
- 25 The Canadian