Thought I would write a brief trip report on our vacation to Nova Scotia. We just returned last night. There are 4 of us: my husband, myself, and 2 daughters in their 20's.
We took the CAT ferry from Portland to Yarmouth & visited Annapolis Valley, Cape Breton Island & Halifax.
Lodgings: We spent 3 nights at Tattingstone Inn in Wolfville. The inn is beautiful and the breakfast area is enclosed with glass windows overlooking the garden. Rate included full breakfast. We stayed in the carriage house, room #8. It is a nice room but too small for 4 people.
We spent a day in Annapolis Royal, & visited the Fort Anne Historic Site, Historical Gardens, & Port Royal. Had lunch outdoors at Leo's cafe.
Another day we went to Grand Pre Historical Site; drove to Cape Split but didn't hike because I am in a walking boot, but did see nice seacoast scenery. Then had lunch at Hall's Harbour Lobster Pound. Delicious lobster sandwiches, very full!!! Then did a wine-tasting at Domaine Winery in Grand Pre.
Ate at Paddy's Pub in Wolfeville 2 nights. On Sunday nights they have a live Celtic band. Food is good & reasonable. Had dinner one night at The Port in Port William. Modern, upscale ambiance, overlooking the river. Delicious food & pricier than Paddy's Pub.
Shopping: Recommend Tangled Garden in Grand Pre for unique food gifts, such as Basil Wine Jelly, Horseradish Jelly, Ginger Lime jelly, different herbed vinegars & sauces.
CAPE BRETON ISLAND:
Lodgings: Stayed 3 nights at the Lynwood Inn in Baddeck. The inn is beautiful with 3 rooms upstairs that are for 2 people. WE stayed in a nice room in their addition which houses 28 rooms. Our room for 4 was larger than the room at Tattingstone. Price does not include breakfast.
Spent one day at Fortress Louisbourg, which is fascinating & the location is beautiful. What an amazing place!!! This is the only day we had rain but we honestly didn't mind because the rain & mist added to the atmosphere.
Spent one day driving the Cabot Trail. Spectacular scenery!!! We hiked the Skyline Trail, the highlight of our trip. It is 2 hours roundtrip. The trail is wide & flat. Because I didn't think I could walk the trail with my walking boot, my family took turns pushing me along the trail in my wheelchair. We all agree the effort was worth it. The view from the headlands of the ocean, whales & Cabot trail is gorgeous, one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. I wish we had more than 2 whole days at Cape Breton.
Ate 2 meals at Baddeck Lobster Suppers because price was reasonable. 1 pound lobster, all you can eat seafood chowder & mussels, cole slaw, potatoe salad, dessert & drink for $30. Held in former Legion.
We ate our 3rd dinner at the Lynwood Inn. They do have a great restaurant. We had breakfast there one morning; then breakfast at Yellow Cello, which my husband did not like (his french toast was dry), & then 3rd breakfast at Highwater Cafe.
Lodging: Spent one night in Halifax at Garden Inn on South Park Drive. Lobby & breakfast rooms are very nice. Rooms are ok, more like hotel rooms. Convenient location.
Sightseeing: Only had one afternoon so we went to Maritime Musuem & enjoyed exhibit on Titanic. Walked around the city & waterfront. Lots of live music.
Dining: Our best dinner was at Sweet Basil Bistro at 1866 Upper Water Street; I highly recommend this restaurant. Classic Atlantic fare updated with Asian flare. Warm, cozy & elegant decor.
Next day, Sunday, we drove to Peggys Cove, which of course is quaint & beautiful. Hubby & I were in Nova Scotia in 1974 & I had forgotten how beautiful Peggys Cove & south shore is. Wish we had more time to spend there. But unfortunately, we had to return to Yarmouth on Sunday for the 4:00pm ferry.
If anyone has any questions, I will be happy to answer.
Nova Scotia Trip Report - Just Returned
- 1 Vancouver + Vancouver Island August Trip
- 2 Any Canadians driven a rental car from USA into Canada...
- 3 where to go for a romantic vacation in Nova Scotia.
- 4 Canadian Rodeo in early to mid July --- somewhere near Montreal or Ontario?
- 5 Restaurants in Niagara Falls - ON side
- 6 Reservations needed for BC ferries between Tsawwassen and Swartz Bay?
- 7 Hotel Reservations
- 8 Olde Stone Inn Hotel - Niagara Falls, ON
- 9 Trip to Rockies
- 10 Vancouver sightseeing - transportation tips
- 11 Buchart Gardens - Will flowers be blooming in early September?
- 12 Parksville Or Nanaimo
- 13 Huge British Columbia roadtrip
- 14 Road Trip from Montreal to PEI to Cape Breton
- 15 Itinery: Ottawa to Newfoundland
- 16 First time trip to Montreal for senior couple (late sixties)
- 17 Nova Scotia in June
- 18 Free National Geographic Travel Map of Newfoundland
- 19 Nova Scotia in 10 days - Roundtrip from Bangor, ME
- 20 Montreal-NB-PEI by car for a 7 day trip
- 21 Calgary - Things to Do
- 22 Transportation from Toronto to Niagara Falls
- 23 Need help, can't decide
- 24 Accommodation in Kelowna area
- 25 Canadian SIM card options (in Nova Scotia)?