We're planning a week-long trip to Newfoundland (first time) in late-July. We see two main options: either we do the West and North (Gros Morne-L'Anse aux Meadows-Labrador Coastal Drive/Battle Harbour) or the South and East (St. John's/Avalon, Bonavista, Trinity). Which would you recommend to first-timers? Up to now we've mostly researched the west-north option. I'm looking for recommendations for the south-east option, particularly suggestions for a couple of places (maybe three?) to stay as "base camps" for day trips. We're looking for nice mix of nature (hiking, birdwatching, whales) and history/culture. St John's seems like an obvious choice, but how much daily driving would we need to do to for day trips around Avalon?
Newfoundland in a week
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Any reviews of Wildland Tours?
- 2 Where to stay in Banff?
- 3 HELP! PEI or NB? I have only two days spare in my itinerary.
- 4 HELP! NB or PEI? I only have two days in my itinerary.
- 5 NYC to Montreal by train
- 6 Two choices for PEI house for a week; which is better?
- 7 Ten days on Vancouver Island
- 8 Road trip tent camping Nova Scotia
- 9 Vancouver for 3 days in May 2014
- 10 Transport of cremated remains
- 11 Rockies trip in June.
- 12 Scenic Drives on Vancouver Island
- 13 What to do if I have 5 days in Vancouver
- 14 camping trip: Ontario-Quebec City-PEI-Cabot Trail or St Andrew's-Halifax
- 15 Calgary, Banff, Jasper, Edmonton - best direction to travel
- 16 Montreal Hotel During Jazz Festival
- 17 Toronto Hotels at Avenue Road & Bloor?
- 18 First cut Newfoundland itinerary
- 19 7 Days in Newfoundland
- 20 boarder crossing question
- 21 Best Areas to Stay in Montreal
- 22 Calgary hotel help needed
- 23 Air Canada vs Westjet for flight to Barbados from Toronto
- 24 a week in St John's, NL
- 25 Where to go with grandson in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick , PEI