My husband and I will be visiting Vancouver Island for the first time this August, and I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the options, particularly for transportation at this early point of our preparations.
From our research, we know we want to stay at/near Tofino for 4-5 days, a few days near Qualicum Bay, maybe 3-4 days on an island like Salt Spring Island, enjoy national parks in between, fit in a few hikes, visit wineries, and generally relax, ending with a few nights in Vancouver.
We are arriving in Vancouver late at night, so we were thinking of staying at an airport hotel for the 1st night, and then off to Vancouver Island where we want to rent a car.
What is our best option?
Should we take the bus that runs from the airport to Victoria via ferry, stay 2 nights in Victoria and then rent a car and explore, perhaps leaving the car in Nanaimo before taking the ferry back? This option is a lot more expensive though because of the different pick-up/return locations.
Or take the ferry to and from Nanaimo, and rent and return the car there?
Or another option I'm not thinking of?
Any tips are welcome!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 BC or Alberta drives
- 2 Saint Lawrence River Seaway
- 3 Canadian Thanksgiving Long Weekend Roadtrip Ideas
- 4 Vancouver to Seattle?
- 5 going to banff/jasper in may 2018
- 6 Onoir - eating in complete darkness
- 7 Neighbourhoods recommendation in Vancouver, BC
- 8 Oct driving conditions in the Canadian Rockies
- 9 Skiing in Whistler
- 10 Toronto Family Trip with Teens, kids, and Babies
- 11 lodging in whistler
- 12 Torino in february
- 13 Vancouver to Vancouver island
- 14 Fall road trip with a dog Toronto to East Coast
- 15 My Family Travle Vlog
- 16 Banff - best route to visit these highlights
- 17 Nova Scotia: Fort Louisbourg?
- 18 What is famous in canada?
- 19 Looking for fellow travellers
- 20 Banff conference- 2 days to sightsee
- 21 Pacific Central Rail Station Vancouver--Taxi?
- 22 Boston to Cabot Trail for foliage
- 23 Happy Canada Day
- 24 Calgary plus Canada Rockies- Advice
- 25 Across Canada by Train
Need a bit of help transport-wise: 2-week trip to Vancouver Island