My husband and I will be visiting Vancouver Island for the first time this August, and I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the options, particularly for transportation at this early point of our preparations.
From our research, we know we want to stay at/near Tofino for 4-5 days, a few days near Qualicum Bay, maybe 3-4 days on an island like Salt Spring Island, enjoy national parks in between, fit in a few hikes, visit wineries, and generally relax, ending with a few nights in Vancouver.
We are arriving in Vancouver late at night, so we were thinking of staying at an airport hotel for the 1st night, and then off to Vancouver Island where we want to rent a car.
What is our best option?
Should we take the bus that runs from the airport to Victoria via ferry, stay 2 nights in Victoria and then rent a car and explore, perhaps leaving the car in Nanaimo before taking the ferry back? This option is a lot more expensive though because of the different pick-up/return locations.
Or take the ferry to and from Nanaimo, and rent and return the car there?
Or another option I'm not thinking of?
Any tips are welcome!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper Itinerary Help
- 2 Nova Scotia. PEI - NFL?
- 3 Detroit to Windsor must do's
- 4 Icefields Pkwy going North in one day?
- 5 Nova Scotia Travel Input
- 6 Temporary residency in Canada
- 7 Vacation trip to Quebec
- 8 Tekarra Lodge/Becker's chalets/Pyramid Lodge
- 9 water filtration
- 10 Please plan our Saturday-Sunday Canadian Rockies trip!
- 11 Montreal & Quebec Trip Report
- 12 Western Canada in August
- 13 Rental Car- Canada Pick up and Drop off in Montana
- 14 Car rental: from Edmonton, flying out of Vancouver
- 15 U.S. ATM Bank (unchipped) cards work in Canada?
- 16 Jasper with two elderly
- 17 Dempster highway in early September
- 18 jasper
- 19 Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper ?
- 20 Toronto-afternoon tea
- 21 BC Ferries Experience Card
- 22 Banff, and Glacier National Park
- 23 Canadian Layover - OVI deemed Inadmissable
- 24 Pearson Canada Customs from Boston
- 25 Whistler Shuttle Bus
Need a bit of help transport-wise: 2-week trip to Vancouver Island