Montreal opened up to us like a neon festival in the darkness. Our cab driver sped toward the shining lights and concrete jungle that is downtown Montreal. We arrived in the evening and became intent with getting our feet on the ground to explore the city. The first experience with our new city was the cold! Our Arizona-thinned blood screamed with a chill but soon settled into the groove as we arrived at a noodle house to enjoy a steaming bowl of Asian pasta. The waiter explained why the streets were so bare: "...it's either a hockey game or maybe it's just too cold!" Our blood already knew.
A cold welcome, but warm embrace. Montreal, J'taime!
Quebec City: a cold journey up the River
If you think a trip north to Canada will make you feel like you really haven't left home at all, except for maybe the currency exchange, Quebec city will change your mind. It feels so much like you are in France here that you start responding to waiters and cashiers in your broken, high school French. They smile and then respond in perfect English.
The ice rink has just been set up for another winter season and the residents are breaking it in. No snow yet but, if the temperature is any indication, it is due any day now. The cruise ship season may be over but the ski season is just about to begin. Just another beautiful day in Quebec's most Francophile city.
The thing I like the most about Ville de Quebec (Quebec city) is that it has a perfect blend of the old world and a contemporary, hip flare that provides interests for any taste. Stroll through a 17th century church, meander up a historic hill containing a centuries-old battlefield and then relax at a drag show sipping a pint while a disco ball illuminates the lavish lip synching.
Montreal's little sister up the River has grown up and moved to Paris! Ville de Quebec, I love you!
- excerpts from the TravelingFish blog @
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 All of the above ingredients exist naturally
- 2 Suggest some best places to travel and accommodation facilities in Toronto
- 3 Road trip Vancouver to Seattle?
- 4 good lobster roll
- 5 Bromont - a perfect getaway
- 6 Montreal or Toronto?
- 7 Visit the east coast in July /16
- 8 Trip Report--Canadian Rockies
- 9 One night in Calgary - accommodation suggestions please
- 10 Which boat trip to take under the Falls
- 11 When to Visit Canadian Rockies
- 12 Western Ontario and Manitoba Drive
- 13 Canada in Feb 2016
- 14 King City and surrounding
- 15 Georgia to Fairbanks
- 16 20 hour layover
- 17 Is my itinerary the best Ontario loop?
- 18 Great Canadian Bungee: watch me jump!
- 19 Montreal for two days -- mini TR
- 20 VYR to Victoria Inner Harbour
- 21 montreal to Manchester leaf peeping
- 22 Vancouver/Victoria Honeymoon
- 23 cheap Toronto airport hotel
- 24 My husband cheated and I'm moving away! PEI, Newfoundland or Nova Scotia?
- 25 Barberian's Steak House, Toronto: dcguy477