Montreal opened up to us like a neon festival in the darkness. Our cab driver sped toward the shining lights and concrete jungle that is downtown Montreal. We arrived in the evening and became intent with getting our feet on the ground to explore the city. The first experience with our new city was the cold! Our Arizona-thinned blood screamed with a chill but soon settled into the groove as we arrived at a noodle house to enjoy a steaming bowl of Asian pasta. The waiter explained why the streets were so bare: "...it's either a hockey game or maybe it's just too cold!" Our blood already knew.
A cold welcome, but warm embrace. Montreal, J'taime!
Quebec City: a cold journey up the River
If you think a trip north to Canada will make you feel like you really haven't left home at all, except for maybe the currency exchange, Quebec city will change your mind. It feels so much like you are in France here that you start responding to waiters and cashiers in your broken, high school French. They smile and then respond in perfect English.
The ice rink has just been set up for another winter season and the residents are breaking it in. No snow yet but, if the temperature is any indication, it is due any day now. The cruise ship season may be over but the ski season is just about to begin. Just another beautiful day in Quebec's most Francophile city.
The thing I like the most about Ville de Quebec (Quebec city) is that it has a perfect blend of the old world and a contemporary, hip flare that provides interests for any taste. Stroll through a 17th century church, meander up a historic hill containing a centuries-old battlefield and then relax at a drag show sipping a pint while a disco ball illuminates the lavish lip synching.
Montreal's little sister up the River has grown up and moved to Paris! Ville de Quebec, I love you!
- excerpts from the TravelingFish blog @
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 travel to Montreal/Quebec City in July
- 2 Maritimes Itinerary
- 3 Bay of Fundy Weekend
- 4 Montreal Winery area
- 5 Water park near Toronto
- 6 Fastest HVAC service for commercial and residential housing
- 7 4 days in Newfoundland
- 8 Thoughts on a honeymoon in Quebec City
- 9 Banff or Jasper
- 10 road trip Phila to Toronto
- 11 Vancouver Suspension Bridges
- 12 which hotel in Vancouver
- 13 youth group trip to nova scotia and prince edward island
- 14 Banff and Jasper National Parks
- 15 Banff / Golden September weekend
- 16 Mothreal/Quebec trip report
- 17 Banff/Jasper/Yoho Parks and Canmore Trip Report
- 18 Biking in Eastern Canada
- 19 Eastern Townships - biking and wine nirvana
- 20 Jasper Day Hikes
- 21 Nova Scotia and PEI highlights in 6days
- 22 Montreal and cruise to Boston
- 23 Montreal for 4 days
- 24 Opinions on 10 days Ontario & Quebec
- 25 Montreal hotel on level ground