Montreal opened up to us like a neon festival in the darkness. Our cab driver sped toward the shining lights and concrete jungle that is downtown Montreal. We arrived in the evening and became intent with getting our feet on the ground to explore the city. The first experience with our new city was the cold! Our Arizona-thinned blood screamed with a chill but soon settled into the groove as we arrived at a noodle house to enjoy a steaming bowl of Asian pasta. The waiter explained why the streets were so bare: "...it's either a hockey game or maybe it's just too cold!" Our blood already knew.
A cold welcome, but warm embrace. Montreal, J'taime!
Quebec City: a cold journey up the River
If you think a trip north to Canada will make you feel like you really haven't left home at all, except for maybe the currency exchange, Quebec city will change your mind. It feels so much like you are in France here that you start responding to waiters and cashiers in your broken, high school French. They smile and then respond in perfect English.
The ice rink has just been set up for another winter season and the residents are breaking it in. No snow yet but, if the temperature is any indication, it is due any day now. The cruise ship season may be over but the ski season is just about to begin. Just another beautiful day in Quebec's most Francophile city.
The thing I like the most about Ville de Quebec (Quebec city) is that it has a perfect blend of the old world and a contemporary, hip flare that provides interests for any taste. Stroll through a 17th century church, meander up a historic hill containing a centuries-old battlefield and then relax at a drag show sipping a pint while a disco ball illuminates the lavish lip synching.
Montreal's little sister up the River has grown up and moved to Paris! Ville de Quebec, I love you!
- excerpts from the TravelingFish blog @
Montreal & Quebec City:
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Arriving Montreal, leaving Albany. Best mode for in between?
- 2 Travelling from Edmonton to Vancouver - via Jasper
- 3 Seeking Advice on Banff/Jasper trip Fall 2015
- 4 Canadian Rockies Trip Report:
- 5 looking 12 passenger van rental vancouver
- 6 Layovers in Toronto and Montreal - Ideas?
- 7 Seeking advice for itinerary Waterton and Glacier National Park
- 8 Fall Quebec/Montreal - best time to go?
- 9 Do Canadians need to take the Liablity Insurance when traveling in Florida?
- 10 18 nights in Newfoundland
- 11 Help us see Vancouver island
- 12 Need Help Exploring Best of Vancouver Island Over 4 Days
- 13 Journey series CAD
- 14 Madrid or Montreal
- 15 Help with Kelowna
- 16 Best Scenic Route from Moncton (NB) to Quebec City ??
- 17 9 nights in Nfld
- 18 10 days in The Maritimes
- 19 2 days in Vancouver
- 20 Vancouver
- 21 June trip to: Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper/Via Rail to Vancouver
- 22 Vancouver bike shops and cross Canada what to see
- 23 Imminent travel to Vancouver, Whistler and Calgary. Tips plz!
- 24 August trip to Montreal, Quebec and the Eastern Townships
- 25 Travelling from Toronto to Quebec City and New Brunswick