I found this post (http://www.fodors.com/community/canada/suggestions-for-travel-itineraries-in-newfoaundland.cfm) while searching for information on my upcoming trip and the forum looked so friendly and informative I figured I'd post a little about my plans and see if I could get some suggestions and feedback.
I'm in St John's for a conference in June and am going to rent a car for a week afterwards to do a little exploring. I have a friend staying in Tilting (on Fogo Island) who I'd like to visit and since I'm more of a 'slow' traveller, I figured thats as far as I'd go.
I haven't done much research yet, but here a few things I'm planning on seeing:
Besides Tilting (the focus of my prof's PhD), I'm super excited by the new artists residency program (http://www.artscorpfogoisland.ca/) - did I mention I'm an architecture student?
Terra Nova Ntl Park:
I figured this would be a good place to stop for a day or too. HIking, swimming? (too cold in mid-June?). The Malady Head campground looks more my style.
Perhaps a day trip out from Terra Nova? The other post (see above) mentioned Kerley's Harbour, which sounds really neat. A nice place for a hike/picnic and a little sketching?
Would you recommend spending some time on the Avalon peninsula? I'm not a big driver and I will be spending 3 or 4 days on Fogo. I'm only leaving St John's after lunch, so perhaps a short drive on the first day and a place to spend the night?
Thanks for your help and advice,
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Calgary-Vancouver-Calgary 12-day road trip
- 2 Bus trip packing for August, Vancouver & Banff
- 3 Niagra Falls
- 4 First Time Trip to Canada
- 5 Fodor's Montreal & Quebec City Errata
- 6 Irish Loop, Newfoundland
- 7 Seattle/Vancouver Retreat
- 8 A week in Eastern Newfoundland
- 9 Road trip from Toronto to New Brunswick and back
- 10 Vancouver 2016 Trip Report
- 11 a visit to st john's one of the oldest cities
- 12 Need Help for First Trip to Toronto
- 13 Maritimes Trip - First Time 2016
- 14 Transporation - Quebec City to Montreal?
- 15 How were you treated in Quebec?
- 16 ideas for a short trip near Niagara
- 17 Dog Sled, Aurora & Niagara!!
- 18 Banff / Jasper 6 days
- 19 Road Trip to Calgary
- 20 Montreal to Quebec Ciry
- 21 A Week in Nova Scotia
- 22 Thousand Islands - Must Dos
- 23 Thousand Islands - Hiking
- 24 Seattle/ONP/Vancouver/Whistler
- 25 Chicago to London, ON, Canada