We're travelling to North America in January and will be taking the Canadian from Vancouver to Toronto with a connecting train up to Ottawa. We have booked the tickets with VIA which give us 3 nights in Jasper (or surrounds) and one night in Toronto before moving on up to Ottawa.
Looking for some advice as to possible itineraries and transport options for the stopovers.
Jasper (3 nights):
We'd like to explore the Icefields Parkway. Obviously it's going to be the middle of winter so we'd like to leave the driving to the professionals. We love stunning landscapes and I'm sure we'll see plenty on this detour. Which tour companies would you recommend for the Icefields Parkway? Our first night will be in Jasper as the train arrives at 16:00. The question is, should we do 2 nights in Banff (or somewhere around there)? Would that allow a reasonable margin on travel to be back in Jasper for a 17:30 train departure if we were to leave Banff that same day? Or are we better off aiming to do one night in Banff and then return to Jasper with an additional night there before our train journey continues?
Toronto (1 night):
We'd like to head down to see the Niagara Falls. Our train arrives in Toronto at 09:30 on a Tuesday and we depart to Ottawa from Toronto (by train) at 16:20 on Wednesday. We looked at booking rail tickets straight through to/from Niagara Falls but were only given local bus routes as booking options - not ideal for taking our luggage methinks! So we have open options at this stage as to what happens once we arrive in Toronto. I see most of the tour companies depart Toronto at 9am for day trips to Niagara so it looks unlikely we will be able to tag onto one of those. What would be our next best option? We're thinking maybe a Greyhound bus there and back with a night in Niagara Falls?
Thank you in advance for any advice.
Jasper and Toronto (Niagara Falls) stopovers on The Canadian
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 youth group trip to nova scotia and prince edward island
- 2 How do I get from Calgary to Glacier National Park or near by?
- 3 Restaurant with amazing view (and decent food) Whistler
- 4 Activities for Children in Vancouver
- 5 Montreal Questions
- 6 Romantic destination in Canada
- 7 Travel Guide to Quebec
- 8 Travel Guide to Quebec
- 9 Newfoundland and Labrador with young children
- 10 Trip report/Burlington, VT to Quebec City to Charlevoix
- 11 Vancouver
- 12 Need help planning a Nova Scotia/PEI trip
- 13 Jasper and Banff
- 14 Traveling Banff, Vancouver and Seattle
- 15 Vancouver to Tofino on Orca Air -- Connection Time Question
- 16 Furnished suites in Toronto T
- 17 BC Place Parking or Transit Recommendations Please
- 18 Nova Scotia
- 19 Travelling from NYC to Montreal
- 20 Need Help Exploring Best of Vancouver Island Over 4 Days
- 21 Trip to Vancouver in June
- 22 Vancouver-Torino-Whistler-Banff-Canmore-Calgary August Road trip
- 23 Great Lakes Car Ferries
- 24 Car rental in Victoria, BC
- 25 7 day family itinerary to Nova Scotia needed