Our family will soon be spending approximately 2 weeks in the Jasper/Banff/Yoho area starting August 7th. We are pulling our pop-up camper with us from Michigan and on Monday August 7 will head up from Calgary area to our first camp spot at Whistlers Campground. We are staying there thru Saturday morning the 12th 5 nights) and hoping to high-tail it to Cochrane to see a rodeo (Police Rodeo?) and then stay in Calgary one night then Banff one night until we are camping at Tunnel Mtn Village II (4 nights) or Yoho Kicking Horse Campground if we can get in. Monday the 14th we thought we would head over to Yoho and see about camping, but at least hike something over that way...
My advice request is the following: My 9 year old is a fairly good hiker but only good for maybe around a 6 to 8 mile rt hike - not all day for sure. My husband also despises crowds and I have heard alot of rumblings about how crazy crowded this area will be this August.
So with all that in mind, what hikes/attractions/etc... would you recommend that me and my traveling companions should see and do and would most enjoy?
Also, my son loves to kayak - any (lesser crowded) lakes we could rent something from?
We are into off the beaten path stuff, local establishments (not chain restaurants), and local art and foods... Any advice would be most appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 7 Day Trip to PEI and Cape Breton Islands with Vegetarian Options
- 2 Dinabol increase your muscle power
- 3 How to find Condo Townhouses for Sale Brampton ON?
- 4 You can increase the muscle strenght witrh the help of Bulking Stack
- 5 Nova Scotia and Quebec
- 6 Best Jasper Campground
- 7 Banff conference- 2 days to sightsee
- 8 Freedom of speech in reviews
- 9 RV trip Calgary to Vancouver
- 10 Car Rental from Montreal to Boston
- 11 need accommodation suggestions for Banff and Jasper
- 12 Victoria in December
- 13 Aug or Sep Trip to Cape Breton
- 14 Opportunity for business loan
- 15 BEWARE! - CAR RENTAL NIGHTMARE! London, Ontario
- 16 Road trip from Minneapolis to Ontario.. suggestions for 91yr old
- 17 Nova Scotia - October
- 18 Smoke at Banff and Jasper?
- 19 Low Altitude Mountain Destinations
- 20 Across Canada by Train
- 21 Mont Tremblant attractions
- 22 Victoria to Vancouver (best travel options)
- 23 Nova Scotia
- 24 Halifax/PE in 6 nights
- 25 Eating lobster
Jasper and Banff with 9 year old and Husband who hates crowds!