We are a couple from France (30 and 37) and we're traveling to BC and Alaska for 3 weeks this August.
We were having some problems with our itinerary and would very much appreciate some experienced advise.
We plan to start in Vancouver, rent a car (we'll have a car and a tent and are planning to camp most of the time). At the moment our plan looks like this:
My questions are:
We would really like to see a bit of the inside passage. we don't like cruises and don't have much time so we will take a few short ferry rides. in this plan we stop at Juneau, but we heard a lot about Sitka, and would really like to get there too. Problem is, we can't find a ferry timetable that would allow us to be more than half a day in Sitka, and this also means we don't go to Juneau.
Which port in your opinion is the better choice? is it worth it to go to Sitka for 1 day?
Another question- We want to go to Banff national park. this means about 1000 miles detour. If we don't go to Banff, we have more time in Alaska's inside passage. Is the Park really a must see, or it's a better choice to cut it and have more time in the inside passage?
We are big nature lovers and i'm excited about being able to see bears !
with all this in mind- this is our current itinerary.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts !
d1 : Arriving at 18h40 in Vancouver
d2 : Vancouver
4: Vancouver - Lillooet - Kamloops (6h30)
5: Kamloops-Banff (6h30)
8: route to Jasper (3h)
10: route to prince Rupert
12: Prince Rupert
13: Fort Nelson - Watson Lake (7h)
14: Watson Lake - Skagway (8h)
15: ferry to Skagway + night in Juneau
16: juneau + ferry in the late evening
17: ferry + night on the ferry
18: arriving at prince Rupert + night in Prince Rupert
19: Prince Rupert (treking or excursion)
20: ferry to vancouver island
21: vancouver island
22: vancouver island
23: return to Vancouver flight at 17h50
24: return to Paris à 15h
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Area between Montreal and Lake Champlain, VT
- 2 Jasper and Banff with 9 year old and Husband who hates crowds!
- 3 VANCOUVER RESTAURANT WITH A VIEW
- 4 East Coast Family Road Trip
- 5 Need help with Banff and Jasper Trip planning
- 6 Vancouver to Seattle, Possibly Victoria
- 7 Easy way to get from Quebec City down to Burlington?
- 8 Victoria Island
- 9 Montreal Quebec road trip with kids
- 10 Accommodation in halifax
- 11 Itinerary help needed: Seattle, Olympic National Park,Victorian Vancouver
- 12 Newfoundland by Public Transit! Can't Be Done!
- 13 Two week taster
- 14 Is it possible to drive to Nunavut?
- 15 Part Montreal, Part ?? 9 days
- 16 Fairmont Queen Elizabeth or Hotel Le St. James
- 17 Translink and itinerary questions
- 18 Driving the Cabot Trail
- 19 Montreal Restaurants
- 20 Would love to hear thoughts on Nova Scotia, NB and a dip into Maine
- 21 Halifax/PE in 6 nights
- 22 Bay of Fundy
- 23 Buying on Road Trip US>Canada>US
- 24 Banff/Yoho/Kootenay/Jasper Travelers Advice Please
- 25 Icebergs, Whales, Puffins and Potholes - A Newfoundland Adventure