My wife and I are planning a vacation to Alberta in October. We managed to gets some really low mile frequent flier tickets and are planning the trip around them. We fly into Calgary the night of October 19 and out the morning of October 29. At this point, I have a car rented and have a hotel near the airport for the first night.
We'd like to spend most of our time exploring the parks. We're big hikers and love the outdoors. We also like interesting local restaurants, brewpubs, vineyards, etc. We tend to like smaller places for lodging and plan to stay in lodges or B&B's.
My initial plan was to try and hit Jasper, Banff and Glacier (in Montana, not Canada). My thoughts were to drive to Jasper, spend three nights there, then drive down to Glacier. After spending three nights there, we'd drive back to Banff for the last three nights (leaving us reasonably close to the airport for our morning flight).
I'd love any general itinerary suggestions... should we skip Glacier and spend more time in the Canadian parks? Are there other things we shouldn't miss? Great hikes, places to stay, restaurants?
I'm still combing the other posts... and have found some great info.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Vancouver for Christmas
- 2 Border crossing
- 3 Help for Central Canada Itinerary
- 4 Driving to Fort ST. John
- 5 Eastern Townships late Dec. 2016
- 6 Alternatives to expensive hotel parking in Niagara Falls, Canada?
- 7 Eastern Canada Itinerary
- 8 Restaurants in Montreal and Quebec City
- 9 7 Days in Lake Louise, Banff, Jasper
- 10 March in Montreal?
- 11 Eastern Canada in December
- 12 Seeking Trans Canada train recs
- 13 Montreal two nights with kids (10 and 6): anything fun?
- 14 Toronto-Vancouver VIA Rail Canada
- 15 driving from Vancouver airport to Smithers
- 16 The Rocky Mountaineer
- 17 Tips for an awesome road trip in Canada BC !
- 18 Niagara-on-the-Lake with Kids
- 19 Tofino
- 20 Lesser Known BC Travel Gems
- 21 Prince Edward Island-must do things
- 22 Need Help with Banff/LL/Jasper Itinerary
- 23 11th and 12th grade
- 24 Vancouver trip report!
- 25 Moving to Nova Scotia