My wife and I are planning a vacation to Alberta in October. We managed to gets some really low mile frequent flier tickets and are planning the trip around them. We fly into Calgary the night of October 19 and out the morning of October 29. At this point, I have a car rented and have a hotel near the airport for the first night.
We'd like to spend most of our time exploring the parks. We're big hikers and love the outdoors. We also like interesting local restaurants, brewpubs, vineyards, etc. We tend to like smaller places for lodging and plan to stay in lodges or B&B's.
My initial plan was to try and hit Jasper, Banff and Glacier (in Montana, not Canada). My thoughts were to drive to Jasper, spend three nights there, then drive down to Glacier. After spending three nights there, we'd drive back to Banff for the last three nights (leaving us reasonably close to the airport for our morning flight).
I'd love any general itinerary suggestions... should we skip Glacier and spend more time in the Canadian parks? Are there other things we shouldn't miss? Great hikes, places to stay, restaurants?
I'm still combing the other posts... and have found some great info.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Vancouver and Victoria recommendations
- 2 Vancouver/Pacific Northwest Trip - Mother/Daughter
- 3 Please help with BC itinerary
- 4 Travel through Chicago
- 5 Vancouver hotel question
- 6 Banff in October
- 7 Vancouver First Timer - What to do, see?
- 8 Toronto or Quebec City?
- 9 Niagara Falls in Oct
- 10 quebec city and wine route
- 11 Montreal, Quebec City and Vermont
- 12 A week in Eastern Newfoundland
- 13 2016 East Canada Road Trip
- 14 Gypsy Guide to Driving the Icefield Parkway
- 15 Feedback on itinerary - Mid October Banff/Lake Louise/jasper
- 16 Victoria?
- 17 Fishing Canada. Opinions and Rec's much needed.
- 18 Nova Scotia vs Newfoundland
- 19 Calgary
- 20 Calgary-Banff-Lake Louise-Jasper - Edmonton
- 21 St John's to Fogo Island : need a half way stop.
- 22 Cape Breton Trip
- 23 Fall foliage trip -Quebec vs New England
- 24 Toronto - Niagara transportation
- 25 how long will it take to clear customs in FCO airport italy