My wife and I are planning a vacation to Alberta in October. We managed to gets some really low mile frequent flier tickets and are planning the trip around them. We fly into Calgary the night of October 19 and out the morning of October 29. At this point, I have a car rented and have a hotel near the airport for the first night.
We'd like to spend most of our time exploring the parks. We're big hikers and love the outdoors. We also like interesting local restaurants, brewpubs, vineyards, etc. We tend to like smaller places for lodging and plan to stay in lodges or B&B's.
My initial plan was to try and hit Jasper, Banff and Glacier (in Montana, not Canada). My thoughts were to drive to Jasper, spend three nights there, then drive down to Glacier. After spending three nights there, we'd drive back to Banff for the last three nights (leaving us reasonably close to the airport for our morning flight).
I'd love any general itinerary suggestions... should we skip Glacier and spend more time in the Canadian parks? Are there other things we shouldn't miss? Great hikes, places to stay, restaurants?
I'm still combing the other posts... and have found some great info.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 6 hr Montreal Layover
- 2 Winter resort offering snowshoeing, dog sledding and boat trip
- 3 RoadTrip Toronto- PEI
- 4 Nova Scotia Cabot Trail- Which hikes to consider?
- 5 Overnight en route to Fogo Island
- 6 Pre- and post-cruise plans
- 7 Storing luggage in Vancouver
- 8 Help with Niagara Falls and Toronto planning, please!
- 9 Work Visa Cutt off Age
- 10 Nova Scotia & New Brunswick and New Foundland
- 11 Quebec to yarmouth
- 12 Visit to the Maritimes Aug 2 - 11
- 13 Restaurants in Banff and Jasper / Canadian Rockies
- 14 5 hour layover in Toronto on a Tuesday
- 15 Toronto lodging for 15 people - something unique?
- 16 Northern route from Toronto to northern Newfoundland
- 17 Niagara Falls/Toronto Itinerary Help
- 18 Bears in Britsch Columbia and Alberta
- 19 Nova Scotia Wineries
- 20 Getting from Anchorage to Chicago Via Train?
- 21 Traveling to the maritimes this summer
- 22 Pearson Airport logistics
- 23 Based in PEI, visit to NS or NB?
- 24 Columbia Icefields Parkway
- 25 Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper ?