Hello fodor's helpers. Is Tofino the best home base for 3 or 4 nights to explore Vancouver Island by car? We will have spent 2 or 3 nights in Victoria and will be driving to Vancouver, Jasper and Banff afterwards. We want to be in or near a town with good dining options. We are 2 active 60 year old women who plan to swim, kayak, hike, ride horses, and bike, interspersed with leisurely lunches and cocktails and fine dining at the end of the day. Also, if during our 3 weeks in Canada, we want to visit wineries and overnight nearby, would you recommend Okanagan Valley or Cowichan Valley near Victoria? Are there organized winery tours from Victoria into Cowichan Valley? (Don't want to sample wine and then drive.) Thanks in advance. I'm addicted to reading these forums -- a wealth of info!
Is Tofino the best home base to explore Vancouver Island?
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 8 days in Nova Scotia & PEI
- 2 quebec
- 3 Any good ideas for Western Canada?
- 4 Fall travel - need hotels Montreal & Ottawa
- 5 Jet to Victoria
- 6 Possible to Jog in Canadian Rockies?
- 7 cross country and downhill skiing in Quebec
- 8 ottawa hotel and exhibit
- 9 New Brunswick & Nova Scotia
- 10 Fresh Fruit from US
- 11 10 full tourism days in NS & PEI
- 12 Ottawa and Quebec City Restaurants
- 13 Alberta Wildfires
- 14 Chip Credit card or will swipe work?
- 15 icebergs r us/ canada's far east: st john's NL
- 16 When Train Plans Go Awry—My 2 Day Winnipeg/ Saint Boniface Odyssey
- 17 Niagara Falls Canada
- 18 One Day in Niagra falls with kids
- 19 What do you think of this itinerary Ontario-Qebec trip?
- 20 Driving Victoria to Toronto
- 21 Vancouver Island: Scenic Drives
- 22 edmonton-jasper, banff, lake louise
- 23 Grouse or Whistler?
- 24 What all are must go locations in Algonquin Park ?
- 25 Montreal Museum of Fine Arts