We’ve been on planes and trains – now day 4 puts our family of 4 in an automobile on the way to Hopewell Rocks. We checked into the family suite in the main part of the Hopewell Rocks motel. We had 2 beds plus a little alcove with a fold-out couch. Plenty of room for the 4 of us. I was nervous about this motel but we didn’t have a lot of choice in the area. However, it was perfectly adequate and we enjoyed the free pancake breakfast the next morning. The best part of the motel was that it was minutes from the Hopewell Rocks. We got over there around 3:30 and walked down to the flower pots. We took the obligatory pictures in front of the rising tide (almost high tide by the time all was done). We also found some very tasty wild raspberries. Early August is berry season so we enjoyed them in ice cream, pie and other tasty treats during our tip. After the rocks, we went back to the motel for a quick swim – there were mosquitoes in the evening, could have done with some bug spray! We had dinner in the motel restaurant as there were no other choices around. The next morning (Day 5), we got back to the Rocks at 9:00 AM. Our ticket from the day before was still good. We walked back to the flower pots and down the stairs to the ocean floor. It was hard to get a real sense of scale until you saw people next to the big formations. The ocean floor is very muddy. I was glad we had our water (beach) shoes on. We looked for little ocean critters (not many – surprising sterile environment), skipped rocks in the ocean and climbed through a cave. Some of our party also managed to get pretty muddy. We walked back up the beach and back up the stairs. All but my husband decided to take the shuttle back. (1.50 per person each way). We were very surprised to see one of the families from the train at the foot washing station! We left about 30 min before low tide because we had a long drive to Cape Breton. There were rather long lines to get into the park when we left. The drive to Cape Breton (Ingonish) was very long but not eventful. We got to the Keltic Lodge in time for a late dinner. Day 6 to follow in a separate entry. Click on my name to get the other parts of this trip report!
Hopewell Rocks Trip Report
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Vancouver hotel Times Square Suites
- 2 Cross-Country Road Trip
- 3 1st time traveler through Canada in April
- 4 Rockies trip in June.
- 5 Toronto - Montrel - Toronto
- 6 Visiting Quebec City, Montreal, and a National Park
- 7 Trip Report from Montreal and Quebec City
- 8 Need tips for this trip
- 9 Montreal in july Solo female traveler
- 10 September two week trip to Nova Scotia & PEI
- 11 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 12 North Vancouver Island
- 13 Canadian Rockies Trip Report:
- 14 In Jasper: Sawridge Inn or Best Western?
- 15 Eastern Canada from Toronto, Quebec, Ottawa, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- 16 Why VIA train tickets spike?
- 17 Newfoundland questions
- 18 2 Months to see Canada, 2015 decision made, now to plan.
- 19 What is drive like between Seattle and Calgary/Lake Louise?
- 20 Best way to get from Seattle to Lake Louise/Banff area
- 21 Itinerary help
- 22 Tips for the West Coast and reviews of Moose Travel Network please!
- 23 Montreal/Toronto
- 24 Gros Morne hiking
- 25 Victoria for 2 days