I got so much help from all of you while planning this trip, I just wanted to say thanks. And post my report in hopes that it will help someone else. I'm going to leave the restaurant details and reviews for the end, because some people seem to like that, others would prefer to skip it, so I'll include it but separate. Room types and rates are include because some folks say they find the info useful.
it was just me and the DH, driving from Massachusetts, for 2 weeks in Atlantic Canada and Maine. The heart of the trip was a 1 week rental in PEI, but we decided to take some time on the way up and the way back.
We left on a Tuesday afternoon, drove to Bar Harbor. We stayed one night at the Bar Habor Motel ($110 for a room with king bed, pvt bath). It was a decent, inexpensive room very close to the ferry pier. We had reservations on the 8AM CAT ferry. we arrived around 6:50, and it took about 40 minutes to get our tickets, and get loaded onto the ferry. It must have taken even longer for the folks behind us, because the ferry didn't leave till at least 8:30. It was a smooth and pleasant ride. No view to speak of though, as Nova Scotia was pretty fogged in. Then it took forever to get through the customs gate at the other side (we were in the very slow line...8 motorcycles in front of us!). So we got a late start out of Yarmouth (probably around 1:15 already).
We drove the main highway from Yarmouth to Shelburne, stopped for lunch at Charlotte Lane Cafe. Then we took the lighthouse route through Lunenberg, visiting Blue Rocks, and Mahone Bay. This whole process (lunch, and the driving) took so long it was already 6:30 PM when we got to Mahone Bay. So we decided to skip Peggy's cove and drive straight to Halifax. I found the lighthouse thing pretty uninspiring. I guess Lunenberg and Mahone Bay were pretty enough, but barely worth the side trip. Maybe if I'd stayed longer, and explored a little I would have enjoyed them more. this was pretty much a drive by, but I feel no urge to return.
We arrived in Halifax, and checked in to the Westin Nova Scotia ($209 Cdn, king room, harbor view). Very nice room, very comfortable. The location is a few blocks furthur from the sights than some of the other big hotels, but quite convenient to the restaurants we wanted to try, so I found it a good location.
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 0nline : YAHOO Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT ☎ 1:8OO:540 :6830 YAHOO MAIL 24*7
- 2 Best places in Toronto
- 3 Tweak itinerary for Canadian Rockies
- 4 Vancouver and Vancouver Island - a quick summary
- 5 Victoria, Canada
- 6 Day trip from Toronto to 1000 Islands
- 7 Planning a trip to 1000 Islands
- 8 Is it too late to plan Banff & Jasper for this July?
- 9 Newfoundland in early June
- 10 Vancouver to Toronto car or train?
- 11 Think a horsey ride is a good idea?
- 12 Vancouver/Seattle Trip
- 13 HELP: Winnipeg to Grand Forks,ND
- 14 Toronto to N.F. to Buffalo without a car. Need help.
- 15 Nova Scotia in July
- 16 Cape Breton in early June
- 17 Magdalen Islands in early June
- 18 Magdalen Islands
- 19 Grround transportation from Vancouver Airport
- 20 How to break the drive from Montreal to Niagara falls?
- 21 Passport question for Int flight
- 22 Banff Jasper Itinerary Help - Need ASAP Married Couple 9 days
- 23 Itinerary for 10 day Maritime trip
- 24 Icefields Parkway
- 25 3 Nights in Cape Breton