We are a family of 4 (including six year old twin boys) planning a trip to BC and Alberta in June/July. After some time in Vancouver and Victoria we are flying to Edmonton. We will hire a car there and set off, with the aim to finish in Calgary when the Stampede is on.
We would welcome any feedback on the intinerary as I am not sure if we are trying to pack too much in. We definitely want to see Jasper, Banff and the Calgary Stampede and we will be staying at a dude ranch near Cranbrook. With that as the starting point and the fact we have 23/24 nights I have come up with this:
Edmonton - 3 nights (West Edmonton Mall, Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market , Fort Edmonton Park)
Edmonton to Jasper - 4 hours
Jasper - 3 nights
Jasper to Lake Louise - with stops: all day drive? overnight Lake Louise (see Lake Moraine in the morning)
Lake Louise to Revelstoke (via Wolf Centre at Golden)? 3 hours - overnight Revelstoke
Revelstoke to Nelson (given ferry crossings, not sure how long this will take - any ideas?)
Nelson - 2 nights (I have read that the town is pretty and worth a visit, might go rafting)
Nelson to Cranbrook - 2.5 hours?
We will be staying at a dude ranch near Cranbrook for 5 nights
Cranbrook to Banff - 3 hours? Stop at Fairmont Hot Springs
Banff - 3 nights (will visit the sled dogs in Canmore)
Banff to Drumheller - 3 hours maybe? What's the best route to get to Drumheller from Banff? See Dinosaur Museum in afternoon, overnight Drumheller
Drumheller to Dinosaur Provincial Park , 2 hours, take tour in afternoon. Overnight Brooks
Brooks to Calgary
Calgary - 3 nights
I am wondering whether the detour to Dinosaur Provincial Park is worth it, but I like the idea of the boys seeing fossils in the ground (rather than just in a museum). Do you think we should do both Drumheller and the Park?
Thanks so much!
Feedback please on BC and Alberta itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 NYC to Montreal by train
- 2 Driving trip from Vancouver to Rockies in June
- 3 Camping in Canada: sleeping with bears
- 4 Tent trailer camping tips? Ontario to Nanaimo (Summer 2014) with 2 kids
- 5 Two choices for PEI house for a week; which is better?
- 6 HELP! PEI or NB? I have only two days spare in my itinerary.
- 7 Any reviews of Wildland Tours?
- 8 Where to stay in Banff?
- 9 HELP! NB or PEI? I only have two days in my itinerary.
- 10 Ten days on Vancouver Island
- 11 Road trip tent camping Nova Scotia
- 12 Vancouver for 3 days in May 2014
- 13 Transport of cremated remains
- 14 Rockies trip in June.
- 15 Scenic Drives on Vancouver Island
- 16 What to do if I have 5 days in Vancouver
- 17 camping trip: Ontario-Quebec City-PEI-Cabot Trail or St Andrew's-Halifax
- 18 Calgary, Banff, Jasper, Edmonton - best direction to travel
- 19 Montreal Hotel During Jazz Festival
- 20 Toronto Hotels at Avenue Road & Bloor?
- 21 First cut Newfoundland itinerary
- 22 7 Days in Newfoundland
- 23 boarder crossing question
- 24 Best Areas to Stay in Montreal
- 25 Calgary hotel help needed