We are a family of 4 (including six year old twin boys) planning a trip to BC and Alberta in June/July. After some time in Vancouver and Victoria we are flying to Edmonton. We will hire a car there and set off, with the aim to finish in Calgary when the Stampede is on.
We would welcome any feedback on the intinerary as I am not sure if we are trying to pack too much in. We definitely want to see Jasper, Banff and the Calgary Stampede and we will be staying at a dude ranch near Cranbrook. With that as the starting point and the fact we have 23/24 nights I have come up with this:
Edmonton - 3 nights (West Edmonton Mall, Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market , Fort Edmonton Park)
Edmonton to Jasper - 4 hours
Jasper - 3 nights
Jasper to Lake Louise - with stops: all day drive? overnight Lake Louise (see Lake Moraine in the morning)
Lake Louise to Revelstoke (via Wolf Centre at Golden)? 3 hours - overnight Revelstoke
Revelstoke to Nelson (given ferry crossings, not sure how long this will take - any ideas?)
Nelson - 2 nights (I have read that the town is pretty and worth a visit, might go rafting)
Nelson to Cranbrook - 2.5 hours?
We will be staying at a dude ranch near Cranbrook for 5 nights
Cranbrook to Banff - 3 hours? Stop at Fairmont Hot Springs
Banff - 3 nights (will visit the sled dogs in Canmore)
Banff to Drumheller - 3 hours maybe? What's the best route to get to Drumheller from Banff? See Dinosaur Museum in afternoon, overnight Drumheller
Drumheller to Dinosaur Provincial Park , 2 hours, take tour in afternoon. Overnight Brooks
Brooks to Calgary
Calgary - 3 nights
I am wondering whether the detour to Dinosaur Provincial Park is worth it, but I like the idea of the boys seeing fossils in the ground (rather than just in a museum). Do you think we should do both Drumheller and the Park?
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Help with Niagara Falls and Toronto planning, please!
- 2 Calgary, Banff, and Jasper
- 3 RoadTrip Toronto- PEI
- 4 Traveling to the maritimes this summer
- 5 Quebec to yarmouth
- 6 6 hr Montreal Layover
- 7 Winter resort offering snowshoeing, dog sledding and boat trip
- 8 Nova Scotia Cabot Trail- Which hikes to consider?
- 9 Overnight en route to Fogo Island
- 10 Pre- and post-cruise plans
- 11 Storing luggage in Vancouver
- 12 Work Visa Cutt off Age
- 13 Nova Scotia & New Brunswick and New Foundland
- 14 Visit to the Maritimes Aug 2 - 11
- 15 Restaurants in Banff and Jasper / Canadian Rockies
- 16 5 hour layover in Toronto on a Tuesday
- 17 Toronto lodging for 15 people - something unique?
- 18 Northern route from Toronto to northern Newfoundland
- 19 Niagara Falls/Toronto Itinerary Help
- 20 Bears in Britsch Columbia and Alberta
- 21 Nova Scotia Wineries
- 22 Getting from Anchorage to Chicago Via Train?
- 23 Pearson Airport logistics
- 24 Based in PEI, visit to NS or NB?
- 25 Columbia Icefields Parkway