We are a family of 4 (including six year old twin boys) planning a trip to BC and Alberta in June/July. After some time in Vancouver and Victoria we are flying to Edmonton. We will hire a car there and set off, with the aim to finish in Calgary when the Stampede is on.
We would welcome any feedback on the intinerary as I am not sure if we are trying to pack too much in. We definitely want to see Jasper, Banff and the Calgary Stampede and we will be staying at a dude ranch near Cranbrook. With that as the starting point and the fact we have 23/24 nights I have come up with this:
Edmonton - 3 nights (West Edmonton Mall, Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market , Fort Edmonton Park)
Edmonton to Jasper - 4 hours
Jasper - 3 nights
Jasper to Lake Louise - with stops: all day drive? overnight Lake Louise (see Lake Moraine in the morning)
Lake Louise to Revelstoke (via Wolf Centre at Golden)? 3 hours - overnight Revelstoke
Revelstoke to Nelson (given ferry crossings, not sure how long this will take - any ideas?)
Nelson - 2 nights (I have read that the town is pretty and worth a visit, might go rafting)
Nelson to Cranbrook - 2.5 hours?
We will be staying at a dude ranch near Cranbrook for 5 nights
Cranbrook to Banff - 3 hours? Stop at Fairmont Hot Springs
Banff - 3 nights (will visit the sled dogs in Canmore)
Banff to Drumheller - 3 hours maybe? What's the best route to get to Drumheller from Banff? See Dinosaur Museum in afternoon, overnight Drumheller
Drumheller to Dinosaur Provincial Park , 2 hours, take tour in afternoon. Overnight Brooks
Brooks to Calgary
Calgary - 3 nights
I am wondering whether the detour to Dinosaur Provincial Park is worth it, but I like the idea of the boys seeing fossils in the ground (rather than just in a museum). Do you think we should do both Drumheller and the Park?
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Neighbourhoods recommendation in Vancouver, BC
- 2 My passion in Toronto
- 3 Oct driving conditions in the Canadian Rockies
- 4 Skiing in Whistler
- 5 Toronto Family Trip with Teens, kids, and Babies
- 6 lodging in whistler
- 7 Onoir - eating in complete darkness
- 8 BC or Alberta drives
- 9 Torino in february
- 10 Vancouver to Vancouver island
- 11 Fall road trip with a dog Toronto to East Coast
- 12 My Family Travle Vlog
- 13 Banff - best route to visit these highlights
- 14 Nova Scotia: Fort Louisbourg?
- 15 What is famous in canada?
- 16 Looking for fellow travellers
- 17 Banff conference- 2 days to sightsee
- 18 Pacific Central Rail Station Vancouver--Taxi?
- 19 Boston to Cabot Trail for foliage
- 20 Happy Canada Day
- 21 Calgary plus Canada Rockies- Advice
- 22 Across Canada by Train
- 23 Montreal & Quebec City
- 24 Ottawa in December
- 25 Recommended car hire