We are a family of 4 (including six year old twin boys) planning a trip to BC and Alberta in June/July. After some time in Vancouver and Victoria we are flying to Edmonton. We will hire a car there and set off, with the aim to finish in Calgary when the Stampede is on.
We would welcome any feedback on the intinerary as I am not sure if we are trying to pack too much in. We definitely want to see Jasper, Banff and the Calgary Stampede and we will be staying at a dude ranch near Cranbrook. With that as the starting point and the fact we have 23/24 nights I have come up with this:
Edmonton - 3 nights (West Edmonton Mall, Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market , Fort Edmonton Park)
Edmonton to Jasper - 4 hours
Jasper - 3 nights
Jasper to Lake Louise - with stops: all day drive? overnight Lake Louise (see Lake Moraine in the morning)
Lake Louise to Revelstoke (via Wolf Centre at Golden)? 3 hours - overnight Revelstoke
Revelstoke to Nelson (given ferry crossings, not sure how long this will take - any ideas?)
Nelson - 2 nights (I have read that the town is pretty and worth a visit, might go rafting)
Nelson to Cranbrook - 2.5 hours?
We will be staying at a dude ranch near Cranbrook for 5 nights
Cranbrook to Banff - 3 hours? Stop at Fairmont Hot Springs
Banff - 3 nights (will visit the sled dogs in Canmore)
Banff to Drumheller - 3 hours maybe? What's the best route to get to Drumheller from Banff? See Dinosaur Museum in afternoon, overnight Drumheller
Drumheller to Dinosaur Provincial Park , 2 hours, take tour in afternoon. Overnight Brooks
Brooks to Calgary
Calgary - 3 nights
I am wondering whether the detour to Dinosaur Provincial Park is worth it, but I like the idea of the boys seeing fossils in the ground (rather than just in a museum). Do you think we should do both Drumheller and the Park?
Thanks so much!
Feedback please on BC and Alberta itinerary
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Is Thanksgiving too early for Whistler?
- 2 Any good ideas for Western Canada?
- 3 sample itinerary for multi-generational family to Canadian Rockies in July
- 4 Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI and Newfoundland in 7-9 days?
- 5 iPhone in Canada
- 6 how to search for owls in winter
- 7 Long-overdue Trip report for Ontario, Albert and British Columbia.
- 8 Canada in winter
- 9 Trip Report - Banff & Jasper - Early Agust 2014
- 10 Relaxing Honeymoon
- 11 What do you think of Boston to Ottawa trip?
- 12 7 Days in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia
- 13 Victoria Dining
- 14 Northern Lights
- 15 Transportation Montreal to Quebec City. Bus or train?
- 16 Are plug adaptors needed?
- 17 Canadian Rockies Trip: Hiking priority
- 18 Fall Montreal weekend with 11-year-old daughter
- 19 Lake Huron Circle Tour
- 20 Mackenzie/Prince George BC - Safety & Car info needed
- 21 The Canadian - Toronto to Vancouver by Train - Part 1
- 22 Searching for the `Northern Lights`
- 23 Looking for custom wine tour from Vernon, BC
- 24 Vancouver, Canada - General information about organic food
- 25 Help us see Vancouver island