We are a family of 4 (including six year old twin boys) planning a trip to BC and Alberta in June/July. After some time in Vancouver and Victoria we are flying to Edmonton. We will hire a car there and set off, with the aim to finish in Calgary when the Stampede is on.
We would welcome any feedback on the intinerary as I am not sure if we are trying to pack too much in. We definitely want to see Jasper, Banff and the Calgary Stampede and we will be staying at a dude ranch near Cranbrook. With that as the starting point and the fact we have 23/24 nights I have come up with this:
Edmonton - 3 nights (West Edmonton Mall, Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market , Fort Edmonton Park)
Edmonton to Jasper - 4 hours
Jasper - 3 nights
Jasper to Lake Louise - with stops: all day drive? overnight Lake Louise (see Lake Moraine in the morning)
Lake Louise to Revelstoke (via Wolf Centre at Golden)? 3 hours - overnight Revelstoke
Revelstoke to Nelson (given ferry crossings, not sure how long this will take - any ideas?)
Nelson - 2 nights (I have read that the town is pretty and worth a visit, might go rafting)
Nelson to Cranbrook - 2.5 hours?
We will be staying at a dude ranch near Cranbrook for 5 nights
Cranbrook to Banff - 3 hours? Stop at Fairmont Hot Springs
Banff - 3 nights (will visit the sled dogs in Canmore)
Banff to Drumheller - 3 hours maybe? What's the best route to get to Drumheller from Banff? See Dinosaur Museum in afternoon, overnight Drumheller
Drumheller to Dinosaur Provincial Park , 2 hours, take tour in afternoon. Overnight Brooks
Brooks to Calgary
Calgary - 3 nights
I am wondering whether the detour to Dinosaur Provincial Park is worth it, but I like the idea of the boys seeing fossils in the ground (rather than just in a museum). Do you think we should do both Drumheller and the Park?
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Canada~$$$~91#9872852111_@_ VaShIkArAn SpEcIaLiSt AsTroLoger in IndiA
- 2 http://essentialdetoxsweden.com/cafe-vert/
- 3 First Time Trip To Canada!!
- 4 Victoria, BC and Ottawa, ON -- similar?
- 5 Weekend in Calgary
- 6 Niagra Falls
- 7 One Week In Newfoundland itinerary advice.
- 8 Vancouver 2016 Trip Report
- 9 First Time Trip to Canada
- 10 Bus trip packing for August, Vancouver & Banff
- 11 Calgary-Vancouver-Calgary 12-day road trip
- 12 Irish Loop, Newfoundland
- 13 Seattle/Vancouver Retreat
- 14 A week in Eastern Newfoundland
- 15 Road trip from Toronto to New Brunswick and back
- 16 a visit to st john's one of the oldest cities
- 17 Need Help for First Trip to Toronto
- 18 Maritimes Trip - First Time 2016
- 19 Transporation - Quebec City to Montreal?
- 20 How were you treated in Quebec?
- 21 ideas for a short trip near Niagara
- 22 Dog Sled, Aurora & Niagara!!
- 23 Banff / Jasper 6 days
- 24 Road Trip to Calgary
- 25 Montreal to Quebec Ciry