We are a family of 4 (including six year old twin boys) planning a trip to BC and Alberta in June/July. After some time in Vancouver and Victoria we are flying to Edmonton. We will hire a car there and set off, with the aim to finish in Calgary when the Stampede is on.
We would welcome any feedback on the intinerary as I am not sure if we are trying to pack too much in. We definitely want to see Jasper, Banff and the Calgary Stampede and we will be staying at a dude ranch near Cranbrook. With that as the starting point and the fact we have 23/24 nights I have come up with this:
Edmonton - 3 nights (West Edmonton Mall, Old Strathcona Farmers’ Market , Fort Edmonton Park)
Edmonton to Jasper - 4 hours
Jasper - 3 nights
Jasper to Lake Louise - with stops: all day drive? overnight Lake Louise (see Lake Moraine in the morning)
Lake Louise to Revelstoke (via Wolf Centre at Golden)? 3 hours - overnight Revelstoke
Revelstoke to Nelson (given ferry crossings, not sure how long this will take - any ideas?)
Nelson - 2 nights (I have read that the town is pretty and worth a visit, might go rafting)
Nelson to Cranbrook - 2.5 hours?
We will be staying at a dude ranch near Cranbrook for 5 nights
Cranbrook to Banff - 3 hours? Stop at Fairmont Hot Springs
Banff - 3 nights (will visit the sled dogs in Canmore)
Banff to Drumheller - 3 hours maybe? What's the best route to get to Drumheller from Banff? See Dinosaur Museum in afternoon, overnight Drumheller
Drumheller to Dinosaur Provincial Park , 2 hours, take tour in afternoon. Overnight Brooks
Brooks to Calgary
Calgary - 3 nights
I am wondering whether the detour to Dinosaur Provincial Park is worth it, but I like the idea of the boys seeing fossils in the ground (rather than just in a museum). Do you think we should do both Drumheller and the Park?
Thanks so much!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 http://supplementch3mistry.com/chantel-st-claire-ca/
- 2 Vancouver to Ft St John/return - summer road trip
- 3 Vancouver to Toronto car or train?
- 4 4 Days Vancouver & 5 in Whistler
- 5 Help with Niagara Falls and Toronto planning, please!
- 6 Niagara Falls - 2 Nights Family of 4
- 7 Banff to Jasper and back
- 8 Vancouver & Vancouver Island
- 9 Canmore for a few days
- 10 Cat Ferry to Nova Scotia?
- 11 Keltic Lodge
- 12 The Canadian
- 13 2 weeks ‘corridor’, lowbudget daytrips by public bus, book on the spot?
- 14 Road from Calgary to Whitehorse
- 15 NS and PEI with elderly traveller
- 16 Restaurants in Jasper, Alberta
- 17 Getting from Vancouver to Nanaimo without a car
- 18 Going from Banff to Many Glacier without flying
- 19 East to West, Roadtrip
- 20 Tent camping with a dog
- 21 Help with Victoria get away
- 22 Help needed - Montreal/QC/Toronto Itinerary
- 23 Hotels in Vancouver and Calgary
- 24 car rental canada to alaska and return
- 25 West Coast Trail This May!