Husband and I have done one holiday in Canada in winter but now it's time to plan a family vacation.
This will be my third visit to this beautiful land and umpteenth time for OH who grew up there and hasvisited many times to ski. We love history, nature and easy walks - no winter hiking...love wildlife, sanctuaries, zoos
This is what I'm thinking for a three week trip :
The four of us...(son will be 20 by then and daughter 22 )will fly from oz to Seattle stay two days and hire car and drive either to Vancouver and on to Banff ( or go through Washington and Idaho up to Banff )
Visit Banff area for five days
Maybe the boys can ski for three days at sunshine and lake Louise whilst my daughter and I ( we don't ski )explore Banff ..later the four of us can drive to jasper if we can or lake emerald and any other points of interest thaT my husband and I visited last trip
Then id like to drive to Vancouver through radium hot springs ,Nelson and Whistler or any other route anyone here can recommend
Stay in Vancouver for two nights or so and maybe cross over to Vancouver Island if we have time..we probably won't have time unless we decide not to drive one way..say fly to Calgary rather than drive ( OH reckons it's cheaper for us to fly to Seattle and hire a car )
I asked advice from the forum last time about driving in Canada in winter and upon your advice, I insisted that OH and not drive from Vancouver to Banff
Having been a passenger in the car that we did use to get from Calgary to Banff and then again all around that Banff area, I must say that the road conditions were fine... We didn't go as far as jasper ..only lake Louise and emerald that time.
SO my questions:
Any suggestions for accommodation? We would prefer a family suite or apartment along the way
In Banff we stayed at charleton cedar court ..close enough for me to walk into town so OH could take the car up to the slopes
I believe they have suites with a kitchenette
has anyone stayed with kids in Banff within walking distance of the town centre?
I don't really want to stay up in the Douglas mountain area cos I'd need the car or have to get a shuttle
I would consider it if it were amazingly good value but I've always preferred to stay central and parking in Banff isn't all that easy anyway...is it?
We'd also need family accommodation in Montana or Idaho ..somewhere along the route to Seattle ...then in Seattle itself and Vancouver so please chime in if you have some experience in that..and probably a night in Calgary, too
Don't really want to take two hotel rooms because of the expense but will consider for a night here and there
Any comments about the trip in general are very welcome
OH does have experience driving in icy conditions and we would ensure that the rental has snow tyres / tires
( rather than just all- weather tires)
Any suggestions for Montana would be great too
We'd only pass through but if there are any must sees id love to read your input
Thanks in advance !
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 CHARTER@ password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Tec*h CAre 24/7
- 2 Ottawa transportation question
- 3 Newfoundland by Public Transit! Can't Be Done!
- 4 Trip to Montreal with Daughters
- 5 BC road trip advice
- 6 Aug or Sep Trip to Cape Breton
- 7 Christmas vacation in Montreal
- 8 vancouver to jasper and banff in 9 days
- 9 9 Day Photography trip to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland
- 10 Driving around Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alberta and BC
- 11 Where to eat in Vancouver and Sidney
- 12 Solo Trip to BC in August
- 13 princess cruise to new england and canada
- 14 Summer Day Trips From Toronto
- 15 Newfoundland and Labrador with Two Nights in St. Pierre and Miquelon
- 16 Traveling with your bike
- 17 Driving from Vancouver to Anchorage
- 18 New Jersey to Quebec City
- 19 one week trip to Nova Scotia
- 20 Alberta Trip_2017
- 21 Day Trip from Niagara Falls, NY
- 22 4 Day Photography trip to Quebec during July 4th
- 23 Vancouver to Calgary - advice on itinerary and what to reserve first
- 24 Driving round trip from Vancouver to Calgary
- 25 Best Urban N American Cycling: Ottawa?
Family holiday in Canada ( winter)..accommodation in Montana and Idaho too!