We're heading over to the States and Canada for Dec/Jan this year, planning to cover the West Coast then fly across to the East. It's going to be a cool experience- we're from tropical Queensland where 10 degrees c is a cool day! Would love some helpful tips for the itinerary we've put together so far!
Itinerary as it stands:
Fly to San Fran (2 nights)
Fly to Seattle (or train to Portland, then Seattle) (2 nights)
~ any thoughts on whether Portland worth a stop? Is is better just to fly through to Seattle? (I realise it's a long trip by train)
Ferry to Vancouver (2 nights)
Fly Montreal, train Quebec (2 nights)
Return to Montreal via train, (2 nights)
Train to Toronto (4 nights) (daytrip to Niagara) (probably for Christmas Day)
I've read that the US doesn't celebrate Boxing Day, wondering if Canada does and how widespread the closures are if so- is it an ok day to travel?
Third leg is getting to NYC, is it better to travel East from Toronto or to go south via Lancaster etc.
I'm Wondering if the Amish/Mennonite communities are accessible via public transport during Winter.
Is a Niagara-Lancaster-Washington DC-Philadelphia route a worthwhile on via train?
We'd like to make it to NY for the 30 of Dec (despite the horrific price rises at hotels at that time of year!)... so is it realistic to cover all of these between the 26-30?
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Exploring US & Canada December '12
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Orleans Express Montreal Station
- 2 8 days in Nova Scotia & PEI
- 3 Lodging in Lake Louise
- 4 Help us see Vancouver island
- 5 Moraine lake / larch valley / sentinal pass vs plain of six glaciers
- 6 Rockies Weather Profile for September?
- 7 Lake Huron Circle Tour
- 8 Transportation Montreal to Quebec City. Bus or train?
- 9 17 days in Newfoundland - a good start!
- 10 Ile d'Orléans & Côte-de-Beaupré - getting around on day trips
- 11 Long-overdue Trip report for Ontario, Albert and British Columbia.
- 12 Need help planning travel around New Brunswick and Nova Scotia
- 13 Stay inside Algonquin park
- 14 Montreal for work -- what to see?
- 15 Brian zucker : choosing between Toronto and Niagara falls
- 16 Buddy MacMaster RIP
- 17 NB, PEI, Nova Scotia in Oct
- 18 Quebec City - week before Christmas or New Year
- 19 Good Restaurants nearby Niagra?
- 20 Orange County car services for birthdays
- 21 Hoping for Autumn Colors
- 22 Looking for gallery wine events in Vancouver.
- 23 Any good ideas for Western Canada?
- 24 gasrun.ca, ever wonder how much it costs to drive from A to B?
- 25 Halifax-PEI