We're heading over to the States and Canada for Dec/Jan this year, planning to cover the West Coast then fly across to the East. It's going to be a cool experience- we're from tropical Queensland where 10 degrees c is a cool day! Would love some helpful tips for the itinerary we've put together so far!
Itinerary as it stands:
Fly to San Fran (2 nights)
Fly to Seattle (or train to Portland, then Seattle) (2 nights)
~ any thoughts on whether Portland worth a stop? Is is better just to fly through to Seattle? (I realise it's a long trip by train)
Ferry to Vancouver (2 nights)
Fly Montreal, train Quebec (2 nights)
Return to Montreal via train, (2 nights)
Train to Toronto (4 nights) (daytrip to Niagara) (probably for Christmas Day)
I've read that the US doesn't celebrate Boxing Day, wondering if Canada does and how widespread the closures are if so- is it an ok day to travel?
Third leg is getting to NYC, is it better to travel East from Toronto or to go south via Lancaster etc.
I'm Wondering if the Amish/Mennonite communities are accessible via public transport during Winter.
Is a Niagara-Lancaster-Washington DC-Philadelphia route a worthwhile on via train?
We'd like to make it to NY for the 30 of Dec (despite the horrific price rises at hotels at that time of year!)... so is it realistic to cover all of these between the 26-30?
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Thanksgiving in Canada
- 2 RV trip to Alberta to see Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper,etc.
- 3 Foodie Advice for Vancouver...Please!
- 4 Romantic Dine and Dance Vancouver
- 5 Jasper
- 6 day trip to Victoria
- 7 Newfoundland itinerary help
- 8 Cape Breton, Nova Scotia & PEI
- 9 Van to Alaska Road Trip in 10 days
- 10 Newfoundland in July
- 11 9 Day Nova Scotia Trip Report
- 12 Toronto - Niagara Falls NO CAR
- 13 roadtrip kelowna and alberta
- 14 Planning a week in Canadian Rockies, need some help with itinerary !
- 15 Family vacation
- 16 Ferry from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay
- 17 4-6 hours in Gaspe
- 18 Drive from Spokane to Yoho/Banff/Jasper
- 19 2016 East Canada Road Trip
- 20 UP, Manitoulin, and Quebec Driving
- 21 A month in Atlantic Canada
- 22 Calgary Stampede
- 23 My Trip to Montreal and Quebec City
- 24 Fairmont Hot Springs
- 25 11 Day Road trip