We're heading over to the States and Canada for Dec/Jan this year, planning to cover the West Coast then fly across to the East. It's going to be a cool experience- we're from tropical Queensland where 10 degrees c is a cool day! Would love some helpful tips for the itinerary we've put together so far!
Itinerary as it stands:
Fly to San Fran (2 nights)
Fly to Seattle (or train to Portland, then Seattle) (2 nights)
~ any thoughts on whether Portland worth a stop? Is is better just to fly through to Seattle? (I realise it's a long trip by train)
Ferry to Vancouver (2 nights)
Fly Montreal, train Quebec (2 nights)
Return to Montreal via train, (2 nights)
Train to Toronto (4 nights) (daytrip to Niagara) (probably for Christmas Day)
I've read that the US doesn't celebrate Boxing Day, wondering if Canada does and how widespread the closures are if so- is it an ok day to travel?
Third leg is getting to NYC, is it better to travel East from Toronto or to go south via Lancaster etc.
I'm Wondering if the Amish/Mennonite communities are accessible via public transport during Winter.
Is a Niagara-Lancaster-Washington DC-Philadelphia route a worthwhile on via train?
We'd like to make it to NY for the 30 of Dec (despite the horrific price rises at hotels at that time of year!)... so is it realistic to cover all of these between the 26-30?
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Ottawa recs?
- 2 road trip toronto to nova scotia
- 3 Must-Sees & Must-Dos in Lake Louise
- 4 7 day itinerary of Nova Scotia
- 5 Western Ontario and Manitoba Drive
- 6 limited time biking - Eastern Canada
- 7 car needed in Vancouver?
- 8 Forming itinerary--Moraine Lake to Jasper to Banff Springs this Sept.
- 9 Ideas on Newfoundland
- 10 Its vegan capsules ignite the fat loss
- 11 Underwhelmed by Montreal - any suggestions?
- 12 Biking in Eastern Canada
- 13 Granville Island
- 14 Where to Eat & Drink in Vancouver!
- 15 Good eats and car question NS
- 16 Nova Scotia vs Newfoundland
- 17 Quebec Jazz? other to do's?
- 18 VIA Rail Ocean - Which Direction?
- 19 MUST SEE/DO VANCOUVER, BC
- 20 Road Trip to Montreal from Chicago
- 21 Trip to Banff from Glacier National Park
- 22 Marriott Chateau Champlain Vs. Le Square Phillips Hotel
- 23 Marriott Chateau Champlain beside Bell Centre
- 24 Which Marriott hotel in Montreal?
- 25 2 weeks in maritime provinces