We're heading over to the States and Canada for Dec/Jan this year, planning to cover the West Coast then fly across to the East. It's going to be a cool experience- we're from tropical Queensland where 10 degrees c is a cool day! Would love some helpful tips for the itinerary we've put together so far!
Itinerary as it stands:
Fly to San Fran (2 nights)
Fly to Seattle (or train to Portland, then Seattle) (2 nights)
~ any thoughts on whether Portland worth a stop? Is is better just to fly through to Seattle? (I realise it's a long trip by train)
Ferry to Vancouver (2 nights)
Fly Montreal, train Quebec (2 nights)
Return to Montreal via train, (2 nights)
Train to Toronto (4 nights) (daytrip to Niagara) (probably for Christmas Day)
I've read that the US doesn't celebrate Boxing Day, wondering if Canada does and how widespread the closures are if so- is it an ok day to travel?
Third leg is getting to NYC, is it better to travel East from Toronto or to go south via Lancaster etc.
I'm Wondering if the Amish/Mennonite communities are accessible via public transport during Winter.
Is a Niagara-Lancaster-Washington DC-Philadelphia route a worthwhile on via train?
We'd like to make it to NY for the 30 of Dec (despite the horrific price rises at hotels at that time of year!)... so is it realistic to cover all of these between the 26-30?
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Help w/ quick Lake Louise itinerary
- 2 Rail/Drive Canadain Rockies in Sept, 2016?
- 3 Please advice on 1.5 day itinerary in Jasper, Banff
- 4 Visa misspelled in Passport and CPR
- 5 Toronto: Dinner Before Train Departure
- 6 Thousand Islands - Must Dos
- 7 Itinerary Help - Vancouver Area
- 8 24 hours in Toronto
- 9 Toronto to East Cost Road trip Advice
- 10 Do I need a rental car for travel to Seattle and Vancouver (Sept 2016)?
- 11 Ontario to PEI Roadtrip!
- 12 Vancouver 4 days
- 13 Looks for Sites in Manitoba
- 14 Trip to Tornoto
- 15 Marvellous Montreal
- 16 Cross country road trip in Déc 2016
- 17 Hotels in Montreal near McGill University
- 18 Little over three days in Vancouver
- 19 Quebec Province & City,Montreal
- 20 One week in August British Columbia or Pacific Northwest
- 21 Gettinng around Jasper
- 22 Help Seattle Vancouver Is Whistler vs.Via Rail rockies
- 23 Nova Scotia Late Aug. are Reservations Necessary
- 24 Nova Scotia & PEI Hiking
- 25 Help - Winnipeg to vancouver roadtrip