We're heading over to the States and Canada for Dec/Jan this year, planning to cover the West Coast then fly across to the East. It's going to be a cool experience- we're from tropical Queensland where 10 degrees c is a cool day! Would love some helpful tips for the itinerary we've put together so far!
Itinerary as it stands:
Fly to San Fran (2 nights)
Fly to Seattle (or train to Portland, then Seattle) (2 nights)
~ any thoughts on whether Portland worth a stop? Is is better just to fly through to Seattle? (I realise it's a long trip by train)
Ferry to Vancouver (2 nights)
Fly Montreal, train Quebec (2 nights)
Return to Montreal via train, (2 nights)
Train to Toronto (4 nights) (daytrip to Niagara) (probably for Christmas Day)
I've read that the US doesn't celebrate Boxing Day, wondering if Canada does and how widespread the closures are if so- is it an ok day to travel?
Third leg is getting to NYC, is it better to travel East from Toronto or to go south via Lancaster etc.
I'm Wondering if the Amish/Mennonite communities are accessible via public transport during Winter.
Is a Niagara-Lancaster-Washington DC-Philadelphia route a worthwhile on via train?
We'd like to make it to NY for the 30 of Dec (despite the horrific price rises at hotels at that time of year!)... so is it realistic to cover all of these between the 26-30?
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Exploring US & Canada December '12
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Montreal Entertainment
- 2 Vancouver top restaurant
- 3 Heli skiing in March
- 4 Any good ideas for Western Canada?
- 5 Vancouver Canada pocket wifi rental
- 6 Toronto: where to stay?
- 7 Vancouver, Canada - General information about organic food
- 8 Train travel Vancouver to Seattle
- 9 What to do at toronto airport ??
- 10 Relentless Beauty - Panecott's Trip to the Canadian Rockies
- 11 VIA Rail Winter Trip Vancouver to Toronto Need Some Advise
- 12 Victoria questions for 30th birthday trip
- 13 Three days in Halifax - One being daytrip to PEI.
- 14 Toronto lodgings
- 15 Free parking in Halifax near Waterfront.
- 16 Planing a Trip to Toronto in December
- 17 rockies in september
- 18 Looking for a cold place to visit during my school break
- 19 Fabulous five days/Montreal & Quebec City
- 20 Viking Trail
- 21 sample itinerary for multi-generational family to Canadian Rockies in July
- 22 Quebec City trip.report
- 23 Difficulty getting from Montreal to Burlington by public transport help plz
- 24 Best weekend of Carnaval?
- 25 Is anyone has visited eagle lake in ontario