We're heading over to the States and Canada for Dec/Jan this year, planning to cover the West Coast then fly across to the East. It's going to be a cool experience- we're from tropical Queensland where 10 degrees c is a cool day! Would love some helpful tips for the itinerary we've put together so far!
Itinerary as it stands:
Fly to San Fran (2 nights)
Fly to Seattle (or train to Portland, then Seattle) (2 nights)
~ any thoughts on whether Portland worth a stop? Is is better just to fly through to Seattle? (I realise it's a long trip by train)
Ferry to Vancouver (2 nights)
Fly Montreal, train Quebec (2 nights)
Return to Montreal via train, (2 nights)
Train to Toronto (4 nights) (daytrip to Niagara) (probably for Christmas Day)
I've read that the US doesn't celebrate Boxing Day, wondering if Canada does and how widespread the closures are if so- is it an ok day to travel?
Third leg is getting to NYC, is it better to travel East from Toronto or to go south via Lancaster etc.
I'm Wondering if the Amish/Mennonite communities are accessible via public transport during Winter.
Is a Niagara-Lancaster-Washington DC-Philadelphia route a worthwhile on via train?
We'd like to make it to NY for the 30 of Dec (despite the horrific price rises at hotels at that time of year!)... so is it realistic to cover all of these between the 26-30?
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Exploring US & Canada December '12
- 1 Recommendations needed for change of Hotel in Victoria, please.
- 2 New to Montreal - want to stay in Plateau area
- 3 Gros Morne accommodations
- 4 Dressing for Dinner on a BC Road Trip
- 5 Almost 2 days in Vancouver....help!!!
- 6 Jasper - a drive too far?
- 7 Hotel for Calgary Arrival?
- 8 Moncton start, Nova Scotia and PEI in 9 days
- 9 Nova Scotia ideas...
- 10 Time Management between Montreal and Quebec City
- 11 Nova Scotia in 10 days - Roundtrip from Bangor, ME
- 12 Two nights in Quebec City - hotel, restaurant, activity suggestions?
- 13 Woody Island Resort in Newfoundland
- 14 Vancouver shopping with teens
- 15 Calgary treats
- 16 Honeymoon in Quebec City
- 17 Best way to get from Quebec City to Boston
- 18 Canadian Rockies - Burgess Shale and rafting
- 19 Best nature options near Vancouver
- 20 Northern Vermont to Sault Ste Marie via Trans-Canada Highway
- 21 Montreal Race Weekend - Grand Prix F1
- 22 Wine Tour - Where to stay, how long to plan for
- 23 Vancouver Whale Watching
- 24 DOG SLEDDING
- 25 Route from Ns to Calgary, side trip to Niagra Falls