We're heading over to the States and Canada for Dec/Jan this year, planning to cover the West Coast then fly across to the East. It's going to be a cool experience- we're from tropical Queensland where 10 degrees c is a cool day! Would love some helpful tips for the itinerary we've put together so far!
Itinerary as it stands:
Fly to San Fran (2 nights)
Fly to Seattle (or train to Portland, then Seattle) (2 nights)
~ any thoughts on whether Portland worth a stop? Is is better just to fly through to Seattle? (I realise it's a long trip by train)
Ferry to Vancouver (2 nights)
Fly Montreal, train Quebec (2 nights)
Return to Montreal via train, (2 nights)
Train to Toronto (4 nights) (daytrip to Niagara) (probably for Christmas Day)
I've read that the US doesn't celebrate Boxing Day, wondering if Canada does and how widespread the closures are if so- is it an ok day to travel?
Third leg is getting to NYC, is it better to travel East from Toronto or to go south via Lancaster etc.
I'm Wondering if the Amish/Mennonite communities are accessible via public transport during Winter.
Is a Niagara-Lancaster-Washington DC-Philadelphia route a worthwhile on via train?
We'd like to make it to NY for the 30 of Dec (despite the horrific price rises at hotels at that time of year!)... so is it realistic to cover all of these between the 26-30?
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Suggest some best places to travel and accommodation facilities in Toronto
- 2 Road trip Vancouver to Seattle?
- 3 good lobster roll
- 4 Bromont - a perfect getaway
- 5 Montreal or Toronto?
- 6 Visit the east coast in July /16
- 7 Trip Report--Canadian Rockies
- 8 One night in Calgary - accommodation suggestions please
- 9 Which boat trip to take under the Falls
- 10 When to Visit Canadian Rockies
- 11 Western Ontario and Manitoba Drive
- 12 Canada in Feb 2016
- 13 King City and surrounding
- 14 Georgia to Fairbanks
- 15 20 hour layover
- 16 Is my itinerary the best Ontario loop?
- 17 Great Canadian Bungee: watch me jump!
- 18 Montreal for two days -- mini TR
- 19 VYR to Victoria Inner Harbour
- 20 montreal to Manchester leaf peeping
- 21 Vancouver/Victoria Honeymoon
- 22 cheap Toronto airport hotel
- 23 My husband cheated and I'm moving away! PEI, Newfoundland or Nova Scotia?
- 24 Barberian's Steak House, Toronto: dcguy477
- 25 YYZ - QC - NB - NS - PEI Road Trip!