We just got back from another long weekend in the Eastern Townships area of southern Quebec, a paradise for road bikers and wine lovers (we are both). The Granby, Cowansville,Bedford area is almost perfectly flat, with miles and miles of quiet country roads cutting thru vast stretches of farmland and vinyards interspersed with patches of forest and tiny villages. A beautiful mix of midwestern open expanses, New England foliage and charm, and French wine culture. The weather was a 10, the wines were pretty good, and the bicycling was unforgettable. We did a 13 mile loop yesterday starting at Le Bauge vinyard (we did a wine tasting when we got back!), thru some maginificent countryside, with almost no traffic - there was one stretch of 4 miles where we saw only one car on the road. Even though this was the height of foliage season, I don't recall seeing more than one or two USA licences on cars at the vinyards or restaurants. This area is an undiscoverd gem for most Americans.
Eastern Townships - biking and wine nirvana
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Confused about VIA rail options - upper berth, cabin?
- 2 season greetings
- 3 Taxi Stand near Saint Jean Baptiste in Montreal
- 4 December activities for kids in downtown Toronto?
- 5 Toronto: where to stay?
- 6 Alberta????
- 7 Victoria questions for 30th birthday trip
- 8 moving from Saskatchewan - choices
- 9 Ottawa and Montreal New Years
- 10 Wifi rental
- 11 Your favorite travel web sites?
- 12 Short term lodging
- 13 Looking for a campsite for a summer program
- 14 Beware of Cottage owner in Ottawa/Renfrew area
- 15 Vancouver island or Northern West
- 16 Vancouver top restaurant
- 17 Montreal Entertainment
- 18 Heli skiing in March
- 19 Any good ideas for Western Canada?
- 20 Vancouver Canada pocket wifi rental
- 21 Vancouver, Canada - General information about organic food
- 22 Train travel Vancouver to Seattle
- 23 What to do at toronto airport ??
- 24 Relentless Beauty - Panecott's Trip to the Canadian Rockies
- 25 VIA Rail Winter Trip Vancouver to Toronto Need Some Advise