We just got back from another long weekend in the Eastern Townships area of southern Quebec, a paradise for road bikers and wine lovers (we are both). The Granby, Cowansville,Bedford area is almost perfectly flat, with miles and miles of quiet country roads cutting thru vast stretches of farmland and vinyards interspersed with patches of forest and tiny villages. A beautiful mix of midwestern open expanses, New England foliage and charm, and French wine culture. The weather was a 10, the wines were pretty good, and the bicycling was unforgettable. We did a 13 mile loop yesterday starting at Le Bauge vinyard (we did a wine tasting when we got back!), thru some maginificent countryside, with almost no traffic - there was one stretch of 4 miles where we saw only one car on the road. Even though this was the height of foliage season, I don't recall seeing more than one or two USA licences on cars at the vinyards or restaurants. This area is an undiscoverd gem for most Americans.
Eastern Townships - biking and wine nirvana
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Looking for a campsite for a summer program
- 2 Buffet Lunch near Niagra Falls?
- 3 Toronto: where to stay?
- 4 yo yo honey
- 5 Vancouver top restaurant
- 6 Montreal Entertainment
- 7 Heli skiing in March
- 8 Any good ideas for Western Canada?
- 9 Vancouver Canada pocket wifi rental
- 10 Vancouver, Canada - General information about organic food
- 11 Train travel Vancouver to Seattle
- 12 What to do at toronto airport ??
- 13 Relentless Beauty - Panecott's Trip to the Canadian Rockies
- 14 VIA Rail Winter Trip Vancouver to Toronto Need Some Advise
- 15 Victoria questions for 30th birthday trip
- 16 Three days in Halifax - One being daytrip to PEI.
- 17 Toronto lodgings
- 18 Free parking in Halifax near Waterfront.
- 19 Planing a Trip to Toronto in December
- 20 rockies in september
- 21 Looking for a cold place to visit during my school break
- 22 Fabulous five days/Montreal & Quebec City
- 23 Viking Trail
- 24 sample itinerary for multi-generational family to Canadian Rockies in July
- 25 Quebec City trip.report