We just got back from another long weekend in the Eastern Townships area of southern Quebec, a paradise for road bikers and wine lovers (we are both). The Granby, Cowansville,Bedford area is almost perfectly flat, with miles and miles of quiet country roads cutting thru vast stretches of farmland and vinyards interspersed with patches of forest and tiny villages. A beautiful mix of midwestern open expanses, New England foliage and charm, and French wine culture. The weather was a 10, the wines were pretty good, and the bicycling was unforgettable. We did a 13 mile loop yesterday starting at Le Bauge vinyard (we did a wine tasting when we got back!), thru some maginificent countryside, with almost no traffic - there was one stretch of 4 miles where we saw only one car on the road. Even though this was the height of foliage season, I don't recall seeing more than one or two USA licences on cars at the vinyards or restaurants. This area is an undiscoverd gem for most Americans.
Eastern Townships - biking and wine nirvana
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Whistler, Jasper, Banff 13 nights, thoughts on must see/dos?
- 2 Newfoundland and Labrador with young children
- 3 Ottawa, Montreal and Quabec in 10 days late November ?
- 4 The hotel called one king west in Toronto
- 5 Help us see Vancouver island
- 6 Montreal vs Quebec City for Canada Day
- 7 NOTL weather in Sept
- 8 Calgary Banff LL Edmonton
- 9 Banff and Jasper National Parks
- 10 Visit to Nova Scotia and PEI
- 11 August trip to Montreal, Quebec and the Eastern Townships
- 12 birthday trip
- 13 3 Days in Newfoundland
- 14 Vancouver - Seattle - Portland
- 15 Driving from Victoria to Tofino
- 16 Best hikes in Banff
- 17 Victoria
- 18 Hotels in Toronto
- 19 Advice trip to Canada
- 20 Martimes Vacation: flying from Wpg to Halifax (2 weeks)
- 21 Credit Valley Explorer Railway Timetable and Prices
- 22 Fundy Parkway NB vs Cabot Trail Cape Breton NS - if you had to choose?
- 23 Maritime Road Trip from Ottawa - HELP !
- 24 Downtown Montreal Restaurants
- 25 Great hiking spots between Calgary and Alberta