We just got back from another long weekend in the Eastern Townships area of southern Quebec, a paradise for road bikers and wine lovers (we are both). The Granby, Cowansville,Bedford area is almost perfectly flat, with miles and miles of quiet country roads cutting thru vast stretches of farmland and vinyards interspersed with patches of forest and tiny villages. A beautiful mix of midwestern open expanses, New England foliage and charm, and French wine culture. The weather was a 10, the wines were pretty good, and the bicycling was unforgettable. We did a 13 mile loop yesterday starting at Le Bauge vinyard (we did a wine tasting when we got back!), thru some maginificent countryside, with almost no traffic - there was one stretch of 4 miles where we saw only one car on the road. Even though this was the height of foliage season, I don't recall seeing more than one or two USA licences on cars at the vinyards or restaurants. This area is an undiscoverd gem for most Americans.
Eastern Townships - biking and wine nirvana
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Quebec City - week before Christmas or New Year
- 2 Good Restaurants nearby Niagra?
- 3 Long-overdue Trip report for Ontario, Albert and British Columbia.
- 4 Moraine lake / larch valley / sentinal pass vs plain of six glaciers
- 5 Brian zucker : choosing between Toronto and Niagara falls
- 6 NB, PEI, Nova Scotia in Oct
- 7 Orange County car services for birthdays
- 8 Rockies Weather Profile for September?
- 9 Hoping for Autumn Colors
- 10 Looking for gallery wine events in Vancouver.
- 11 Any good ideas for Western Canada?
- 12 gasrun.ca, ever wonder how much it costs to drive from A to B?
- 13 Halifax-PEI
- 14 PEI and Nova Scotia
- 15 4 days in Vancouver Island
- 16 Torn about our July multi-generation vacation
- 17 Montreal for work -- what to see?
- 18 Connecticut to Nova Scotia
- 19 Part of Larch Valley Hike Banff versus Going to Yoho
- 20 Quebec City hotel near VIA Rail station
- 21 Need help planning travel around New Brunswick and Nova Scotia
- 22 8 days in Nova Scotia & PEI
- 23 Aloft or Sheraton near Montreal Airport
- 24 SIM Cards for the States and Canada
- 25 Victoria Dining