We just got back from another long weekend in the Eastern Townships area of southern Quebec, a paradise for road bikers and wine lovers (we are both). The Granby, Cowansville,Bedford area is almost perfectly flat, with miles and miles of quiet country roads cutting thru vast stretches of farmland and vinyards interspersed with patches of forest and tiny villages. A beautiful mix of midwestern open expanses, New England foliage and charm, and French wine culture. The weather was a 10, the wines were pretty good, and the bicycling was unforgettable. We did a 13 mile loop yesterday starting at Le Bauge vinyard (we did a wine tasting when we got back!), thru some maginificent countryside, with almost no traffic - there was one stretch of 4 miles where we saw only one car on the road. Even though this was the height of foliage season, I don't recall seeing more than one or two USA licences on cars at the vinyards or restaurants. This area is an undiscoverd gem for most Americans.
Eastern Townships - biking and wine nirvana
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Part of Larch Valley Hike Banff versus Going to Yoho
- 2 Gaspe
- 3 Driving from Calgary to U SA
- 4 Tofino -Are 5-6 days long enough or too long for family with preschoolers?
- 5 8 days in Nova Scotia & PEI
- 6 10 full tourism days in NS & PEI
- 7 Montreal and Quebec with 12 year old girl
- 8 ATM for cash in Vancouver
- 9 cross country and downhill skiing in Quebec
- 10 Any good ideas for Western Canada?
- 11 Vancouver Island: Scenic Drives
- 12 Fine Dining in Vancouver
- 13 New Brunswick & Nova Scotia
- 14 Niagara/Toronto to Quebec & Maybe Montreal--need advice
- 15 Chip Credit card or will swipe work?
- 16 Alberta Wildfires
- 17 Niagara Falls Canada
- 18 Fall travel - need hotels Montreal & Ottawa
- 19 Fresh Fruit from US
- 20 Possible to Jog in Canadian Rockies?
- 21 quebec
- 22 Jet to Victoria
- 23 ottawa hotel and exhibit
- 24 Ottawa and Quebec City Restaurants
- 25 icebergs r us/ canada's far east: st john's NL