We just got back from another long weekend in the Eastern Townships area of southern Quebec, a paradise for road bikers and wine lovers (we are both). The Granby, Cowansville,Bedford area is almost perfectly flat, with miles and miles of quiet country roads cutting thru vast stretches of farmland and vinyards interspersed with patches of forest and tiny villages. A beautiful mix of midwestern open expanses, New England foliage and charm, and French wine culture. The weather was a 10, the wines were pretty good, and the bicycling was unforgettable. We did a 13 mile loop yesterday starting at Le Bauge vinyard (we did a wine tasting when we got back!), thru some maginificent countryside, with almost no traffic - there was one stretch of 4 miles where we saw only one car on the road. Even though this was the height of foliage season, I don't recall seeing more than one or two USA licences on cars at the vinyards or restaurants. This area is an undiscoverd gem for most Americans.
Eastern Townships - biking and wine nirvana
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Are there private, less expensive fishing charters in Victoria BC?
- 2 15 Days in Canada - Quebec and Ontário region
- 3 Alberta parks to Glacier NP itinerary question
- 4 Victoria BC -What to do; What to watch out for
- 5 Driving trip from Vancouver to Rockies in June
- 6 Calgary, Banff, Jasper, Edmonton - best direction to travel
- 7 HELP! PEI or NB? I have only two days spare in my itinerary.
- 8 Adventures in Canada
- 9 Ten days on Vancouver Island
- 10 Scenic Drives on Vancouver Island
- 11 Does the Easter Bunny visit Canada?
- 12 NYC to Montreal by train
- 13 Camping in Canada: sleeping with bears
- 14 Tent trailer camping tips? Ontario to Nanaimo (Summer 2014) with 2 kids
- 15 Two choices for PEI house for a week; which is better?
- 16 Any reviews of Wildland Tours?
- 17 Where to stay in Banff?
- 18 HELP! NB or PEI? I only have two days in my itinerary.
- 19 Road trip tent camping Nova Scotia
- 20 Vancouver for 3 days in May 2014
- 21 Transport of cremated remains
- 22 Rockies trip in June.
- 23 What to do if I have 5 days in Vancouver
- 24 camping trip: Ontario-Quebec City-PEI-Cabot Trail or St Andrew's-Halifax
- 25 Montreal Hotel During Jazz Festival