We were very, very lucky on weather and had fabulous weather our two days on the Cabot Trail and our one day on Bras d'Or Lake. We had lots of rain flanking those days! We did the Cabot Trail clockwise, turning left once we crossed the causeway. The night before we headed to CBI, we stayed at Sea Kindly B&B in Egerton; lovely place with delightful proprietors and we recommend it highly, just be aware that restaurants are a good 15 min. drive away (not a big problem). We took the Sunrise Trail from there to Antigonish. Once on CBI, we stopped in Pleasant Bay for dinner at the Rusty Anchor and can recommend it...we had the lobster/snow crab special. We hiked the Skyline Trail and were disappointed not to see moose, but did enjoy the trail and the views. Spent that night in Oakwood Manor B&B, a very nice place in a beautiful setting. Had lunch the next day at Water's Edge Cafe in Baddeck and enjoyed eating outside. Took a great sail on the Amoeba. Loved the Alexander Graham Bell museum: very well done. Spent 2 nights at A Paradise Found B&B in Sydney. Sydney itself isn't as pretty as Baddeck (not by a long shot) but it is a convenient location and we thought the B&B was great! Beautiful home, delicious breakfast, great hospitality and as a consequence, quite a nice comraderie among the guests. Did the Miner's Museum and loved the tour of the mine lead by a former mine worker. Also enjoyed Louisbourg Fortress in spite of rain, which actually seemed fitting. It did stop long enough for them to fire a cannon. Next day, headed back to Halifax via the Bras d'Or Scenic Drive (Rt. 4). Stopped for lunch in Auld Cove at the Mariner's Room in the Cove Motel. We have no complaints really; found people very friendly and helpful. Scenery is just spectacular. Some of the roads are on the rough side so you do need to be careful with your driving. Now, if I could just have seen a bull moose!!!
Cape Breton Island trip report
View all Canada activity »
- 1 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 2 Recommended language schools in Montreal or Quebec City?
- 3 Christmas Eve Dinner in Quebec City with kids
- 4 alberta is experiencing a big storm dec 2
- 5 Looking for suggestions: Banff activities for 7-year old
- 6 Day trips around Toronto in the fall
- 7 Ucluelet or Tofino
- 8 Banff/Canmore, Lake Louise (Field?) and Jasper in July
- 9 Golden, British Columbia
- 10 Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver - May/June 14
- 11 Northern Lights at Banff National Park in Winter?
- 12 Canadian Rockies Trip Report:
- 13 Best time of year and place for salmon fishing
- 14 tofino kayaking and fishing
- 15 Hiking Crypt Lake in May
- 16 Trip to Maritime Provinces
- 17 HELP ! Where to move in Vancouver?
- 18 Which area to live in Kelowna? Help please.
- 19 America by Rail
- 20 trip - Calgary, Jasper, Banff, Lake Louise -- where to stay?
- 21 Travel partner to Banff AB
- 22 Canadians with second home in Phoenix -- gift ideas?
- 23 Best SIM card for use in Canada - mainly for data
- 24 Information needed
- 25 Reliable Taxis in Vancouver