We were very, very lucky on weather and had fabulous weather our two days on the Cabot Trail and our one day on Bras d'Or Lake. We had lots of rain flanking those days! We did the Cabot Trail clockwise, turning left once we crossed the causeway. The night before we headed to CBI, we stayed at Sea Kindly B&B in Egerton; lovely place with delightful proprietors and we recommend it highly, just be aware that restaurants are a good 15 min. drive away (not a big problem). We took the Sunrise Trail from there to Antigonish. Once on CBI, we stopped in Pleasant Bay for dinner at the Rusty Anchor and can recommend it...we had the lobster/snow crab special. We hiked the Skyline Trail and were disappointed not to see moose, but did enjoy the trail and the views. Spent that night in Oakwood Manor B&B, a very nice place in a beautiful setting. Had lunch the next day at Water's Edge Cafe in Baddeck and enjoyed eating outside. Took a great sail on the Amoeba. Loved the Alexander Graham Bell museum: very well done. Spent 2 nights at A Paradise Found B&B in Sydney. Sydney itself isn't as pretty as Baddeck (not by a long shot) but it is a convenient location and we thought the B&B was great! Beautiful home, delicious breakfast, great hospitality and as a consequence, quite a nice comraderie among the guests. Did the Miner's Museum and loved the tour of the mine lead by a former mine worker. Also enjoyed Louisbourg Fortress in spite of rain, which actually seemed fitting. It did stop long enough for them to fire a cannon. Next day, headed back to Halifax via the Bras d'Or Scenic Drive (Rt. 4). Stopped for lunch in Auld Cove at the Mariner's Room in the Cove Motel. We have no complaints really; found people very friendly and helpful. Scenery is just spectacular. Some of the roads are on the rough side so you do need to be careful with your driving. Now, if I could just have seen a bull moose!!!
Cape Breton Island trip report
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Car travel from jasper to vancouver via whistler
- 2 Buying a wheelchair in Toronto
- 3 Quebec City on the Weekend of Saint Jean Baptiste Day
- 4 Questions about future trip to Montreal and Quebec City
- 5 no foreign transaction fee, possible?
- 6 Quebec road trip excluding Montreal and Quebec City -- suggestions?
- 7 Montreal vs Quebec City for Canada Day
- 8 Driving from Victoria to Tofino
- 9 Victoria
- 10 Help us see Vancouver island
- 11 Newfoundland and Labrador with young children
- 12 Whistler, Jasper, Banff 13 nights, thoughts on must see/dos?
- 13 Ottawa, Montreal and Quabec in 10 days late November ?
- 14 The hotel called one king west in Toronto
- 15 NOTL weather in Sept
- 16 Calgary Banff LL Edmonton
- 17 Banff and Jasper National Parks
- 18 Visit to Nova Scotia and PEI
- 19 August trip to Montreal, Quebec and the Eastern Townships
- 20 birthday trip
- 21 3 Days in Newfoundland
- 22 Vancouver - Seattle - Portland
- 23 Best hikes in Banff
- 24 Hotels in Toronto
- 25 Advice trip to Canada