My fiancé and I have flights booked to Greece in just under 3 months and we have a 1 hour and 10 minute layover in Canada on our way there. I received an OVI 4 years ago (traffic violation in the states, but it is considered a criminal charge in Canada) so I have learned that I am technically inadmissible. I have done a lot of research and have determined that my options are:
1. Show up at the border and hope that the Border Guard is not in a bad mood that day and grants me an OB 389(?)
2. Apply for a TRP (Temporary Resident Permit) on my own which there is no guarantee it would be processed in time (in fact it is likely to NOT process anywhere near in time)
3. Pay an Immigration Attorney $1,300+ to prepare the paperwork for me and get it in my hands to present at the border
We are unable to cancel our flights as they are through Air Canada and all have layovers in Toronto - so then we would have $2,100 in useless flight credits (not to mention the straight loss of $400 in change fees).
What I am WONDERING is how many people in my situation (1 time OVI, no other charges before or since, only "entering" the country for a quick layover) have actually been sent BACK to the states when showing up without the TRP paperwork in hand??? I am really trying to understand how often this happens.
I really appreciate everyone's POV =)
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Border crossing
- 2 Vancouver for Christmas
- 3 Help for Central Canada Itinerary
- 4 Driving to Fort ST. John
- 5 Eastern Townships late Dec. 2016
- 6 Alternatives to expensive hotel parking in Niagara Falls, Canada?
- 7 Eastern Canada Itinerary
- 8 Restaurants in Montreal and Quebec City
- 9 7 Days in Lake Louise, Banff, Jasper
- 10 March in Montreal?
- 11 Eastern Canada in December
- 12 Seeking Trans Canada train recs
- 13 Montreal two nights with kids (10 and 6): anything fun?
- 14 Toronto-Vancouver VIA Rail Canada
- 15 driving from Vancouver airport to Smithers
- 16 The Rocky Mountaineer
- 17 Tips for an awesome road trip in Canada BC !
- 18 Niagara-on-the-Lake with Kids
- 19 Tofino
- 20 Lesser Known BC Travel Gems
- 21 Prince Edward Island-must do things
- 22 Need Help with Banff/LL/Jasper Itinerary
- 23 11th and 12th grade
- 24 Vancouver trip report!
- 25 Moving to Nova Scotia