My fiancé and I have flights booked to Greece in just under 3 months and we have a 1 hour and 10 minute layover in Canada on our way there. I received an OVI 4 years ago (traffic violation in the states, but it is considered a criminal charge in Canada) so I have learned that I am technically inadmissible. I have done a lot of research and have determined that my options are:
1. Show up at the border and hope that the Border Guard is not in a bad mood that day and grants me an OB 389(?)
2. Apply for a TRP (Temporary Resident Permit) on my own which there is no guarantee it would be processed in time (in fact it is likely to NOT process anywhere near in time)
3. Pay an Immigration Attorney $1,300+ to prepare the paperwork for me and get it in my hands to present at the border
We are unable to cancel our flights as they are through Air Canada and all have layovers in Toronto - so then we would have $2,100 in useless flight credits (not to mention the straight loss of $400 in change fees).
What I am WONDERING is how many people in my situation (1 time OVI, no other charges before or since, only "entering" the country for a quick layover) have actually been sent BACK to the states when showing up without the TRP paperwork in hand??? I am really trying to understand how often this happens.
I really appreciate everyone's POV =)
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 6 hr Montreal Layover
- 2 Winter resort offering snowshoeing, dog sledding and boat trip
- 3 RoadTrip Toronto- PEI
- 4 Nova Scotia Cabot Trail- Which hikes to consider?
- 5 Overnight en route to Fogo Island
- 6 Pre- and post-cruise plans
- 7 Storing luggage in Vancouver
- 8 Help with Niagara Falls and Toronto planning, please!
- 9 Work Visa Cutt off Age
- 10 Nova Scotia & New Brunswick and New Foundland
- 11 Quebec to yarmouth
- 12 Visit to the Maritimes Aug 2 - 11
- 13 Restaurants in Banff and Jasper / Canadian Rockies
- 14 5 hour layover in Toronto on a Tuesday
- 15 Toronto lodging for 15 people - something unique?
- 16 Northern route from Toronto to northern Newfoundland
- 17 Niagara Falls/Toronto Itinerary Help
- 18 Bears in Britsch Columbia and Alberta
- 19 Nova Scotia Wineries
- 20 Getting from Anchorage to Chicago Via Train?
- 21 Traveling to the maritimes this summer
- 22 Pearson Airport logistics
- 23 Based in PEI, visit to NS or NB?
- 24 Columbia Icefields Parkway
- 25 Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper ?