My fiancé and I have flights booked to Greece in just under 3 months and we have a 1 hour and 10 minute layover in Canada on our way there. I received an OVI 4 years ago (traffic violation in the states, but it is considered a criminal charge in Canada) so I have learned that I am technically inadmissible. I have done a lot of research and have determined that my options are:
1. Show up at the border and hope that the Border Guard is not in a bad mood that day and grants me an OB 389(?)
2. Apply for a TRP (Temporary Resident Permit) on my own which there is no guarantee it would be processed in time (in fact it is likely to NOT process anywhere near in time)
3. Pay an Immigration Attorney $1,300+ to prepare the paperwork for me and get it in my hands to present at the border
We are unable to cancel our flights as they are through Air Canada and all have layovers in Toronto - so then we would have $2,100 in useless flight credits (not to mention the straight loss of $400 in change fees).
What I am WONDERING is how many people in my situation (1 time OVI, no other charges before or since, only "entering" the country for a quick layover) have actually been sent BACK to the states when showing up without the TRP paperwork in hand??? I am really trying to understand how often this happens.
I really appreciate everyone's POV =)
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 증권지수 세계증시 oninve.com
- 2 Transportation documents between SEA and YVR
- 3 Jasper/Banff holiday help
- 4 Help with Niagara Falls and Toronto planning, please!
- 5 9 Days in a Camper Van, Alberta Rockies Itinerary
- 6 10 Days in Nova Scotia
- 7 Transportation questions Vancouver and Victoria
- 8 Small group tour for my parents
- 9 Niagara Falls/Toronto Itinerary Help
- 10 Romantic 4-Day July Getaway Ideas Needed
- 11 Hotel near Stanley Parc
- 12 Looking for travel lapel pins HELP
- 13 Itinerary feedback, please
- 14 Need Help!! 1 week itinerary vancouver, whistler & islands
- 15 Vancouver and possibly elsewhere for two weeks?
- 16 Ocean Odyssey: Vancouver Island (and Vancouver)
- 17 Canada's 150th anniversary in the Maritimes
- 18 Prince Edward Island-must do things
- 19 RoadTrip Toronto- PEI
- 20 Best Way
- 21 Nova Scotia & New Brunswick and New Foundland
- 22 Montreal and Quebec City in August
- 23 9 hour layover in Montreal, what to do?
- 24 Bay of Fundy
- 25 Toronto 2 nights from Buffalo