It's holiday planning time...
One serious option for our 2016 summer trip would be from Calgary to Vancouver Island to Vancouver.
Our working schedule would have 5 "chapters" (1x Rocky Mountains, 3x Vancouver Island, 1x Vancouver), each of a certain duration, as follows:
D-01: flight and arrival at Calgary
D-02, 03, 04, 05: departure from Calgary via Jasper, Tête Jaune Cache and Kamloops towards Vancouver, visit of the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
D-05 in the evening, arrival at Vancouver somewhere close for the ferry to Vancouver Island the next day.
D-06: arrival on Vancouver Island, destination 1, for 3 nights.
D-09: destination 2 for 4 nights.
D-13: destination 3 for 4 nights.
D-17: transfert to Vancouver (city) for 5 nights, to visit and enjoy the city summer life.
Our "politics" behind this schedule are:
- Inbound on Calgary, outbound from Vancouver, the other way round is not possible, Vancouver City comes at the end of the trip.
- We only take one car rental, and we don’t need a car in Vancouver city.
- We appreciate longer stays at each base point, just to have a swim, read a book, do nothing other than sip a local brew,... although we know that one night stays are sometimes inevitable.
- General interests: 1 to 3 hours hikes during the day (but not every day!!!), enjoy natural and cultural heritage, fine eating especially fish and seafruit-shellfish, do nothing at the swimming pool
- Canadian Rockies part, a hike in some NP is mandatory…
- On Vancouver Island, we take 3 base points to cover the "close neighbourhood" with daytrips.
General appreciation regarding the number of “chapters” and the days accorded?
Do we need 3 different spots on Vancouver Island, or 2, eventually longer than 4 nights? Any suggestions where?
Suggestions of nice spots for the entire trip?
Fire away please!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 UFC 206 Preview
- 2 Border crossing
- 3 Vancouver for Christmas
- 4 Help for Central Canada Itinerary
- 5 Driving to Fort ST. John
- 6 Eastern Townships late Dec. 2016
- 7 Alternatives to expensive hotel parking in Niagara Falls, Canada?
- 8 Eastern Canada Itinerary
- 9 Restaurants in Montreal and Quebec City
- 10 7 Days in Lake Louise, Banff, Jasper
- 11 March in Montreal?
- 12 Eastern Canada in December
- 13 Seeking Trans Canada train recs
- 14 Montreal two nights with kids (10 and 6): anything fun?
- 15 Toronto-Vancouver VIA Rail Canada
- 16 driving from Vancouver airport to Smithers
- 17 The Rocky Mountaineer
- 18 Tips for an awesome road trip in Canada BC !
- 19 Niagara-on-the-Lake with Kids
- 20 Tofino
- 21 Lesser Known BC Travel Gems
- 22 Prince Edward Island-must do things
- 23 Need Help with Banff/LL/Jasper Itinerary
- 24 11th and 12th grade
- 25 Vancouver trip report!
Calgary/VancouverIsland/Vancouver trip, 3 weeks, first schedule