It's holiday planning time...
One serious option for our 2016 summer trip would be from Calgary to Vancouver Island to Vancouver.
Our working schedule would have 5 "chapters" (1x Rocky Mountains, 3x Vancouver Island, 1x Vancouver), each of a certain duration, as follows:
D-01: flight and arrival at Calgary
D-02, 03, 04, 05: departure from Calgary via Jasper, Tête Jaune Cache and Kamloops towards Vancouver, visit of the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
D-05 in the evening, arrival at Vancouver somewhere close for the ferry to Vancouver Island the next day.
D-06: arrival on Vancouver Island, destination 1, for 3 nights.
D-09: destination 2 for 4 nights.
D-13: destination 3 for 4 nights.
D-17: transfert to Vancouver (city) for 5 nights, to visit and enjoy the city summer life.
Our "politics" behind this schedule are:
- Inbound on Calgary, outbound from Vancouver, the other way round is not possible, Vancouver City comes at the end of the trip.
- We only take one car rental, and we don’t need a car in Vancouver city.
- We appreciate longer stays at each base point, just to have a swim, read a book, do nothing other than sip a local brew,... although we know that one night stays are sometimes inevitable.
- General interests: 1 to 3 hours hikes during the day (but not every day!!!), enjoy natural and cultural heritage, fine eating especially fish and seafruit-shellfish, do nothing at the swimming pool
- Canadian Rockies part, a hike in some NP is mandatory…
- On Vancouver Island, we take 3 base points to cover the "close neighbourhood" with daytrips.
General appreciation regarding the number of “chapters” and the days accorded?
Do we need 3 different spots on Vancouver Island, or 2, eventually longer than 4 nights? Any suggestions where?
Suggestions of nice spots for the entire trip?
Fire away please!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 What are best Caribbean restaurants in Toronto?
- 2 Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper Itinerary Help
- 3 Nova Scotia. PEI - NFL?
- 4 Detroit to Windsor must do's
- 5 Icefields Pkwy going North in one day?
- 6 Nova Scotia Travel Input
- 7 Temporary residency in Canada
- 8 Vacation trip to Quebec
- 9 Tekarra Lodge/Becker's chalets/Pyramid Lodge
- 10 water filtration
- 11 Please plan our Saturday-Sunday Canadian Rockies trip!
- 12 Montreal & Quebec Trip Report
- 13 Western Canada in August
- 14 Rental Car- Canada Pick up and Drop off in Montana
- 15 Car rental: from Edmonton, flying out of Vancouver
- 16 U.S. ATM Bank (unchipped) cards work in Canada?
- 17 Jasper with two elderly
- 18 Dempster highway in early September
- 19 jasper
- 20 Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper ?
- 21 Toronto-afternoon tea
- 22 BC Ferries Experience Card
- 23 Banff, and Glacier National Park
- 24 Canadian Layover - OVI deemed Inadmissable
- 25 Pearson Canada Customs from Boston
Calgary/VancouverIsland/Vancouver trip, 3 weeks, first schedule