- Booked a regional jet from SFO to Calgary through United, which is run by SkyWest.
What we liked: carry on bags were collected at the departure gate, loaded on the plane, and were waiting for us at the gate when we disembarked. Our seats were definitely more roomy than our last economy Air France flight.
- Hertz car rental at YYC.
What we liked: Rental office and car conveniently located near the terminal. Very quick process!
Hotel on arrival: the Westin, Downtown
What we liked: excellent bed, great comfort and outstanding hospitality, value rate last-minute. Perfect for exploring downtown, a walking and bicycling city. Locals were friendly and helpful, often going out of their way to give directions or chat.
Not so much: fee for wi-fi. However, access was free in the lobby. Fee for parking in the underground garage. Breakfast Buffet is very expensive, so a better option is Cora's which is 2 blocks away.
Hotel the night before departure: Kensington Riverside Inn, Kensington District, Calgary
What we liked: beautiful, comfortable quiet room with luxury feel, excellent personal service, lovely cooked-to-order breakfast included. The Kensington District is charming with lots of shops, restaurants, cafes, pubs, lounges, and a quaint movie theater around the corner.
Restaurants: Home Tasting Room, Stephens Ave Pedestrian Mall.
What we liked: outside seating on a warm night, outstanding food including a
light gazpacho, roasted vegetable salad, lamb shanks, seared scallops with lentils, and an incredible mousse made out of something not available in the US ( name escapes me).
The Brasserie Kensington - A French style brasserie
What we liked: I had an amazing crispy chicken breast dish with gnocchi and vegetables. The windows from this second floor restaurant provided a view of the charming neighborhood and activities of its residents. Truly not a tourist area.
Not so much: my husband was disappointed with his fish and chips - perhaps because it was gluten-free or perhaps because they use duck fat. Our waiter was so sour that it made us laugh repeatedly. He was almost a caricature of the classic rude French waiter, except he fawned over the table next to us. Later, another waiter arrived and was quite charming. There was nothing wrong with the service itself, but don't expect a chatty friendship. I would eat there again, however, The Wine Bar downstairs had a much friendlier vibe and would be perfect if you were in the mood to share tapas. ( Same owner, same kitchen).
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 ( OUTLOOK Password Reset CONTACT ☎1 800:681:7208 OUTLOOK Tec*h SUPP
- 2 New Jersey to Quebec City
- 3 Driving around Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alberta and BC
- 4 Kala Jadu Specialist +91-9888977887 Love Marriage Specialist in usa
- 5 Kala Jadu Specialist +91-9888977887 Love Marriage Specialist in usa
- 6 Kala Jadu Specialist +91-9888977887 Love Marriage Specialist in usa
- 7 Driving from Vancouver to Anchorage
- 8 one week trip to Nova Scotia
- 9 Solo Trip to BC in August
- 10 Alberta Trip_2017
- 11 Day Trip from Niagara Falls, NY
- 12 Where to eat in Vancouver and Sidney
- 13 4 Day Photography trip to Quebec during July 4th
- 14 Vancouver to Calgary - advice on itinerary and what to reserve first
- 15 Driving round trip from Vancouver to Calgary
- 16 Best Urban N American Cycling: Ottawa?
- 17 Baseball
- 18 Vermont to Montreal for 2 days?
- 19 Another trip to bicycling heaven.
- 20 Transportation from airport for 7
- 21 calgary to vancover 10days
- 22 Itinerary in the Rockies
- 23 Vancouver, Calgary roundtrip 4.5 days
- 24 Tour to New Foundland
- 25 Summer Day Trips From Toronto