Need a little input about our trip from Vancouver Island to Toronto late September. Family wedding, so we thought we'd drive across the country for the first time.
We will stop to visit family and friends in Calgary and Winnipeg, but have never driven Northern Ontario. So I am mainly interested in the Ontario part of our trip ( we know Toronto well). We planto come home through the USA.
My husband is a paraplegic but independent and does most of the driving. But it is important that we have a bed at day's end, and not be having to catch ZZZ's at the roadside!
Would be fine driving 7-8 hours a day. Just wondering about driving times.
Thinking about Winnipeg to Thunder Bay, overnight, then Thunder Bay to Sault Ste Marie, overnight. Then would like to take the Chi-Cheemaun ferry if possible. Would we be able to make the 11:10 ferry, or better to slow down and plan on the 3:50?
I have read that the speed limit is only 90 km, and with time change ( loosing an hour) and earlier sunset, I'm concerned that we would be pushing it and driving in the dark.
Time is not a big issue, but does 3-4 days seem reasonable for Winnipeg to Toronto?
Any thoughts on accommodation, restaurants and must see/do's would be appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 alaska and British Columbia
- 2 Must see places in Toronto
- 3 Aussies first trip to NS, PEI & NB
- 4 Half day in Vancouver
- 5 Insurance after a heart attack
- 6 Indian Summer (Montmorency Falls)
- 7 When to Visit Canadian Rockies
- 8 Budget travel deal Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec City
- 9 What to see in IceField Parkway ?
- 10 Canadian Rockies: when to go, where to base?
- 11 good lobster roll
- 12 Can I drive across the rocky mountains in mid-April, without snow tires?
- 13 Banff/Jasper/Yoho Parks and Canmore Trip Report
- 14 Suggest some best places to travel and accommodation facilities in Toronto
- 15 Road trip Vancouver to Seattle?
- 16 Bromont - a perfect getaway
- 17 Montreal or Toronto?
- 18 Visit the east coast in July /16
- 19 Trip Report--Canadian Rockies
- 20 One night in Calgary - accommodation suggestions please
- 21 Which boat trip to take under the Falls
- 22 Western Ontario and Manitoba Drive
- 23 Canada in Feb 2016
- 24 King City and surrounding
- 25 Georgia to Fairbanks