Need a little input about our trip from Vancouver Island to Toronto late September. Family wedding, so we thought we'd drive across the country for the first time.
We will stop to visit family and friends in Calgary and Winnipeg, but have never driven Northern Ontario. So I am mainly interested in the Ontario part of our trip ( we know Toronto well). We planto come home through the USA.
My husband is a paraplegic but independent and does most of the driving. But it is important that we have a bed at day's end, and not be having to catch ZZZ's at the roadside!
Would be fine driving 7-8 hours a day. Just wondering about driving times.
Thinking about Winnipeg to Thunder Bay, overnight, then Thunder Bay to Sault Ste Marie, overnight. Then would like to take the Chi-Cheemaun ferry if possible. Would we be able to make the 11:10 ferry, or better to slow down and plan on the 3:50?
I have read that the speed limit is only 90 km, and with time change ( loosing an hour) and earlier sunset, I'm concerned that we would be pushing it and driving in the dark.
Time is not a big issue, but does 3-4 days seem reasonable for Winnipeg to Toronto?
Any thoughts on accommodation, restaurants and must see/do's would be appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Marriott Chateau Champlain beside Bell Centre
- 2 Affordable accommodation for 5 in Tofino
- 3 Rockies or Atlantic Canada?
- 4 Rockies Tour, itinerary critic.
- 5 youth group trip to nova scotia and prince edward island
- 6 Restaurant in Montreal underground
- 7 3 days in europe
- 8 Qualicum Beach, North of Nashville concert
- 9 30th anniversary spot in BC or Alberta in August
- 10 Vancouver Chinatown Night Markets
- 11 Quebec province GTG?
- 12 57 YEAR OLD GRANDMOTHER BACKPACKS ACROSS CANADA
- 13 banff - trail closed - be bear wise
- 14 Quebec Jazz? other to do's?
- 15 Bromont - a perfect getaway
- 16 Best hikes in Banff
- 17 Taking Amtrak from Plattsburg to Montreal
- 18 Is this area in Montreal safe?
- 19 Train to Vancouver from Toronto
- 20 Pros and Cons of using a Car in Vancouver
- 21 Nova Scotia hotels
- 22 3 full days in and round Banff
- 23 Victoria/butchart gardens
- 24 Montreal / Quebec City trip
- 25 From Vancouver to Halifax - how best to travel