Need a little input about our trip from Vancouver Island to Toronto late September. Family wedding, so we thought we'd drive across the country for the first time.
We will stop to visit family and friends in Calgary and Winnipeg, but have never driven Northern Ontario. So I am mainly interested in the Ontario part of our trip ( we know Toronto well). We planto come home through the USA.
My husband is a paraplegic but independent and does most of the driving. But it is important that we have a bed at day's end, and not be having to catch ZZZ's at the roadside!
Would be fine driving 7-8 hours a day. Just wondering about driving times.
Thinking about Winnipeg to Thunder Bay, overnight, then Thunder Bay to Sault Ste Marie, overnight. Then would like to take the Chi-Cheemaun ferry if possible. Would we be able to make the 11:10 ferry, or better to slow down and plan on the 3:50?
I have read that the speed limit is only 90 km, and with time change ( loosing an hour) and earlier sunset, I'm concerned that we would be pushing it and driving in the dark.
Time is not a big issue, but does 3-4 days seem reasonable for Winnipeg to Toronto?
Any thoughts on accommodation, restaurants and must see/do's would be appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Victoria?
- 2 Pacific Northwest Itinerary Help: Victoria, Vancouver, Whistler, Seattle
- 3 Vancouver for Christmas
- 4 Marvellous Montreal
- 5 Vancouver, Mountains, Public Transit
- 6 Wheelchair accessible trails, sights, activities, etc?
- 7 St John's to Fogo Island : need a half way stop.
- 8 Icefields Pkwy going North in one day?
- 9 Vancouver/Pacific Northwest Trip - Mother/Daughter
- 10 Rocky Mountaineer train vacation
- 11 Tips for an awesome road trip in Canada BC !
- 12 Road trip to Maritime Provinces
- 13 Relentless Beauty - Panecott's Trip to the Canadian Rockies
- 14 Need travel help from Toronto to Vermont!
- 15 Cape Breton Island and Nova Scotia
- 16 One afternoon/night in Calgary.
- 17 Running in Jasper in late summer
- 18 Accomodation in Whistler, B.C.
- 19 Canadian Rockies Itinerary input?
- 20 Opinions on a rental service in Toronto
- 21 Niagara-on-the-Lake B&B for One In Town
- 22 Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper Itinerary Help
- 23 Quebec-Montreal in Summer
- 24 Would you stay in Quesnel?
- 25 PEI or Cape Breton?