Need a little input about our trip from Vancouver Island to Toronto late September. Family wedding, so we thought we'd drive across the country for the first time.
We will stop to visit family and friends in Calgary and Winnipeg, but have never driven Northern Ontario. So I am mainly interested in the Ontario part of our trip ( we know Toronto well). We planto come home through the USA.
My husband is a paraplegic but independent and does most of the driving. But it is important that we have a bed at day's end, and not be having to catch ZZZ's at the roadside!
Would be fine driving 7-8 hours a day. Just wondering about driving times.
Thinking about Winnipeg to Thunder Bay, overnight, then Thunder Bay to Sault Ste Marie, overnight. Then would like to take the Chi-Cheemaun ferry if possible. Would we be able to make the 11:10 ferry, or better to slow down and plan on the 3:50?
I have read that the speed limit is only 90 km, and with time change ( loosing an hour) and earlier sunset, I'm concerned that we would be pushing it and driving in the dark.
Time is not a big issue, but does 3-4 days seem reasonable for Winnipeg to Toronto?
Any thoughts on accommodation, restaurants and must see/do's would be appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 travel to Montreal/Quebec City in July
- 2 Maritimes Itinerary
- 3 Bay of Fundy Weekend
- 4 Montreal Winery area
- 5 Water park near Toronto
- 6 Fastest HVAC service for commercial and residential housing
- 7 4 days in Newfoundland
- 8 Thoughts on a honeymoon in Quebec City
- 9 Banff or Jasper
- 10 road trip Phila to Toronto
- 11 Vancouver Suspension Bridges
- 12 which hotel in Vancouver
- 13 youth group trip to nova scotia and prince edward island
- 14 Banff and Jasper National Parks
- 15 Banff / Golden September weekend
- 16 Mothreal/Quebec trip report
- 17 Banff/Jasper/Yoho Parks and Canmore Trip Report
- 18 Biking in Eastern Canada
- 19 Eastern Townships - biking and wine nirvana
- 20 Jasper Day Hikes
- 21 Nova Scotia and PEI highlights in 6days
- 22 Montreal and cruise to Boston
- 23 Montreal for 4 days
- 24 Opinions on 10 days Ontario & Quebec
- 25 Montreal hotel on level ground