Need a little input about our trip from Vancouver Island to Toronto late September. Family wedding, so we thought we'd drive across the country for the first time.
We will stop to visit family and friends in Calgary and Winnipeg, but have never driven Northern Ontario. So I am mainly interested in the Ontario part of our trip ( we know Toronto well). We planto come home through the USA.
My husband is a paraplegic but independent and does most of the driving. But it is important that we have a bed at day's end, and not be having to catch ZZZ's at the roadside!
Would be fine driving 7-8 hours a day. Just wondering about driving times.
Thinking about Winnipeg to Thunder Bay, overnight, then Thunder Bay to Sault Ste Marie, overnight. Then would like to take the Chi-Cheemaun ferry if possible. Would we be able to make the 11:10 ferry, or better to slow down and plan on the 3:50?
I have read that the speed limit is only 90 km, and with time change ( loosing an hour) and earlier sunset, I'm concerned that we would be pushing it and driving in the dark.
Time is not a big issue, but does 3-4 days seem reasonable for Winnipeg to Toronto?
Any thoughts on accommodation, restaurants and must see/do's would be appreciated!
BUCKET LIST TRIP ACROSS CANADA
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 1st time traveler through Canada in April
- 2 Cross-Country Road Trip
- 3 Rockies trip in June.
- 4 Toronto - Montrel - Toronto
- 5 Visiting Quebec City, Montreal, and a National Park
- 6 Trip Report from Montreal and Quebec City
- 7 Need tips for this trip
- 8 Montreal in july Solo female traveler
- 9 September two week trip to Nova Scotia & PEI
- 10 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 11 North Vancouver Island
- 12 Canadian Rockies Trip Report:
- 13 In Jasper: Sawridge Inn or Best Western?
- 14 Eastern Canada from Toronto, Quebec, Ottawa, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- 15 Why VIA train tickets spike?
- 16 Newfoundland questions
- 17 2 Months to see Canada, 2015 decision made, now to plan.
- 18 What is drive like between Seattle and Calgary/Lake Louise?
- 19 Best way to get from Seattle to Lake Louise/Banff area
- 20 Itinerary help
- 21 Tips for the West Coast and reviews of Moose Travel Network please!
- 22 Montreal/Toronto
- 23 Gros Morne hiking
- 24 Victoria for 2 days
- 25 Early Summer Banff/Lake Louise/Field