Need a little input about our trip from Vancouver Island to Toronto late September. Family wedding, so we thought we'd drive across the country for the first time.
We will stop to visit family and friends in Calgary and Winnipeg, but have never driven Northern Ontario. So I am mainly interested in the Ontario part of our trip ( we know Toronto well). We planto come home through the USA.
My husband is a paraplegic but independent and does most of the driving. But it is important that we have a bed at day's end, and not be having to catch ZZZ's at the roadside!
Would be fine driving 7-8 hours a day. Just wondering about driving times.
Thinking about Winnipeg to Thunder Bay, overnight, then Thunder Bay to Sault Ste Marie, overnight. Then would like to take the Chi-Cheemaun ferry if possible. Would we be able to make the 11:10 ferry, or better to slow down and plan on the 3:50?
I have read that the speed limit is only 90 km, and with time change ( loosing an hour) and earlier sunset, I'm concerned that we would be pushing it and driving in the dark.
Time is not a big issue, but does 3-4 days seem reasonable for Winnipeg to Toronto?
Any thoughts on accommodation, restaurants and must see/do's would be appreciated!
BUCKET LIST TRIP ACROSS CANADA
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 iPhone in Canada
- 2 Banff - Jasper weekend itinerary October
- 3 HELP revamping Nova Scotia trip due to illness
- 4 10 Day Trip to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick
- 5 Weather in Quebec City end of October
- 6 sample itinerary for multi-generational family to Canadian Rockies in July
- 7 Searching for the `Northern Lights`
- 8 Canada in winter
- 9 Canadian Rockies Trip: Hiking priority
- 10 Mackenzie/Prince George BC - Safety & Car info needed
- 11 Is Thanksgiving too early for Whistler?
- 12 Northern Lights
- 13 Any good ideas for Western Canada?
- 14 Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, PEI and Newfoundland in 7-9 days?
- 15 how to search for owls in winter
- 16 Long-overdue Trip report for Ontario, Albert and British Columbia.
- 17 Trip Report - Banff & Jasper - Early Agust 2014
- 18 Relaxing Honeymoon
- 19 What do you think of Boston to Ottawa trip?
- 20 7 Days in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia
- 21 Victoria Dining
- 22 Transportation Montreal to Quebec City. Bus or train?
- 23 Are plug adaptors needed?
- 24 Fall Montreal weekend with 11-year-old daughter
- 25 Lake Huron Circle Tour