We are a couple of middle-aged Aussies who love to travel independently. Scenery, nature, lighthouses, medium hikes are all on our list of interests.
We are in the very early stages of planning a 6 week trip in July/August 2016. Our plan is to catch the overnight ferry from Portland, ME to Yarmouth, NS then hire a car and we will have about 20 days to get from there to Quebec.
Thinking of driving to just west of Halifax and staying for 3 nights and exploring Halifax and surrounds. Then possibly 4 nights on Cape Breton - any suggestions on where best to stay. We definitely want to drive the Cabot Trail (weather permitting). Hopewell Cape/Bay of Fundy are also on our list as is PEI (I am an Anne of Green Gables fan). Wondering about accommodation on PEI - better to stay in Charlottetown or somewhere out on the east coast? Is 4 nights on PEI reasonable?
Apart from Alma and the Bay of Fundy, I have no particular ideas for New Brunswick. Is Fredericton worth a night or 2? I there anything of particular note north of Fredericton? Can we reasonably drive from Fredericton to Quebec city in a day?
I look forward to hearing ideas and suggestions from locals and other travellers.
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 romantic dinner in Montreal suggestions
- 2 Vancouver to Seattle, Possibly Victoria
- 3 Vancouver Island in Winter
- 4 May2018 Banff accomodations
- 5 How long to drive from Vancouver to Jasper to Banff to calgary
- 6 Canadian Rockies Timing for Summer 2018
- 7 Saguenay & Sydney...Anything to See/Do?
- 8 Vancouver and Vancouver Island - a quick summary
- 9 Vancouver & Vancouver Island
- 10 Four days near(ish) from Vancouver
- 11 Onoir - eating in complete darkness
- 12 Neighbourhoods recommendation in Vancouver, BC
- 13 going to banff/jasper in may 2018
- 14 BC or Alberta drives
- 15 Torino in february
- 16 Saint Lawrence River Seaway
- 17 Vancouver to Seattle?
- 18 Canadian Thanksgiving Long Weekend Roadtrip Ideas
- 19 Oct driving conditions in the Canadian Rockies
- 20 Skiing in Whistler
- 21 Toronto Family Trip with Teens, kids, and Babies
- 22 lodging in whistler
- 23 Vancouver to Vancouver island
- 24 Fall road trip with a dog Toronto to East Coast
- 25 My Family Travle Vlog