At first I didn't even think going to Anne of Green Gables House was a possibility as my friend & I don't drive and we're staying in Charlottetown, not Cavendish. Although not mentioned in my guidebook, I discovered in another guidebook that there's something called the "Beach Shuttle" which goes from Charlottetown to Cavendish at 9:15 in the morning, leaving at 5:15 in the afternoon.
Reading the Anne of Green Gables book as a grown man, I enjoyed Lucy Maud Montgomery's book probably as much as many eleven-year-old girls do, but I'm not one of these folk either who would go to PEI to expressly visit it for the "Anne (of course with an e LOL) factor". My reason to go to PEI is for the scenery and its reputation as a terrific cycling destination. Besides, I always imagined the Anne of Green Gables home swarming with tourist mobs (the Anne story is apparently especially popular with the Japanese) and Ms. Montgomery's lifetime to me seems such recent history, that visiting the home never really appealed to me and I'd left it at that. However, a friend of mine recently told me that the home really IS worthwhile, that he too thought it would be tacky, but that he ended up loving it, that it was a highlight of his trip to Prince Edward Island.
I have 5 full days in Charlottetown this June. The plan was to do different cycling itineraries out of the city on various days, maybe enjoy one day just walking around Charlottetown itself. I want your thoughts: Do you think Anne of Green Gables House is worth an excursion (remembering that neither of us drive)? I've learned that they do allow bicycles aboard the Beach Shuttle, so we could potentially bike back from Cavendish to Charlottetown after visiting Anne of Green Gables House... seems a do-able distance one-way... or possibly take the bike both ways and just putter around the Cavendish area.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts. DANIEL
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 Quebec City/Montreal for Christmas
- 2 May2018 Banff accomodations
- 3 romantic dinner in Montreal suggestions
- 4 Vancouver to Seattle, Possibly Victoria
- 5 Vancouver Island in Winter
- 6 How long to drive from Vancouver to Jasper to Banff to calgary
- 7 Canadian Rockies Timing for Summer 2018
- 8 Saguenay & Sydney...Anything to See/Do?
- 9 Vancouver and Vancouver Island - a quick summary
- 10 Vancouver & Vancouver Island
- 11 Four days near(ish) from Vancouver
- 12 Onoir - eating in complete darkness
- 13 Neighbourhoods recommendation in Vancouver, BC
- 14 going to banff/jasper in may 2018
- 15 BC or Alberta drives
- 16 Torino in february
- 17 Saint Lawrence River Seaway
- 18 Vancouver to Seattle?
- 19 Canadian Thanksgiving Long Weekend Roadtrip Ideas
- 20 Oct driving conditions in the Canadian Rockies
- 21 Skiing in Whistler
- 22 Toronto Family Trip with Teens, kids, and Babies
- 23 lodging in whistler
- 24 Vancouver to Vancouver island
- 25 Fall road trip with a dog Toronto to East Coast