At first I didn't even think going to Anne of Green Gables House was a possibility as my friend & I don't drive and we're staying in Charlottetown, not Cavendish. Although not mentioned in my guidebook, I discovered in another guidebook that there's something called the "Beach Shuttle" which goes from Charlottetown to Cavendish at 9:15 in the morning, leaving at 5:15 in the afternoon.
Reading the Anne of Green Gables book as a grown man, I enjoyed Lucy Maud Montgomery's book probably as much as many eleven-year-old girls do, but I'm not one of these folk either who would go to PEI to expressly visit it for the "Anne (of course with an e LOL) factor". My reason to go to PEI is for the scenery and its reputation as a terrific cycling destination. Besides, I always imagined the Anne of Green Gables home swarming with tourist mobs (the Anne story is apparently especially popular with the Japanese) and Ms. Montgomery's lifetime to me seems such recent history, that visiting the home never really appealed to me and I'd left it at that. However, a friend of mine recently told me that the home really IS worthwhile, that he too thought it would be tacky, but that he ended up loving it, that it was a highlight of his trip to Prince Edward Island.
I have 5 full days in Charlottetown this June. The plan was to do different cycling itineraries out of the city on various days, maybe enjoy one day just walking around Charlottetown itself. I want your thoughts: Do you think Anne of Green Gables House is worth an excursion (remembering that neither of us drive)? I've learned that they do allow bicycles aboard the Beach Shuttle, so we could potentially bike back from Cavendish to Charlottetown after visiting Anne of Green Gables House... seems a do-able distance one-way... or possibly take the bike both ways and just putter around the Cavendish area.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts. DANIEL
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 academic writers needed
- 2 Toronto Union Station area for a few evening hours
- 3 Banff in early June
- 4 Jasper hike out-cabin October
- 5 Planning a 2 week 'taste' of Canada
- 6 Roadtrip ON-NL
- 7 Quebec City in mid-November
- 8 5 day road trip from Vancouver to Calgary
- 9 Lake Louise to Seattle Washington
- 10 Places to stay in Kelowna, British Columbia
- 11 Eastern Canada in December
- 12 Preferred Route for Driving the Rockies in November
- 13 Calgary
- 14 Tofino
- 15 Vegetarian Restaurant Recommendations Quebec City
- 16 Gypsy Guide to Driving the Icefield Parkway
- 17 Would you stay in Quesnel?
- 18 Vancouver/Pacific Northwest Trip - Mother/Daughter
- 19 Toronto or Quebec City?
- 20 Banff in October
- 21 Halifax Nova Scotia to Peggy's Cove
- 22 Quebec City in autumn
- 23 Feedback on itinerary - Mid October Banff/Lake Louise/jasper
- 24 Quebec City
- 25 Family ski holiday