I'm new to all of this but want to make sure that what I had planned for our family is life-long memorable. I've planned our first ever trip to NS from the southern US for late June into early July (13 days) and bringing the 14 year old and 12 year old along. They're at the ages now when I cannot be assured of much anything--they'll either greatly enjoy the trip or not (and complain . What we like (at least my wife and I) and what I would like to "inspire" in our kids is an appreciation God's natural beauty, wildlife, a little history, and some shopping (for my daughter, of course . Here in South Carolina, we ran into some great Canadians on vacation and they strongly recommended that we include a visit Fort Louisbourg, The place looks incredible, but knowing our kids, I think that might be a little "heavy" for their interests and that the Citadel, church, Titanic maritime museum, and other historic spots of Halifax will suffice. Anyway, here's what we've planned, in order:
First 2 nights (really, it's more like 1 night and one full day because we land around midnight in Halifax): staying in Peggy's Cove area. Would plan taking in Peggy's Cove (of course) and Blue Rocks Cove area (if I can find it!)
1 night: Lunenburg--Hope that the Bluenose II has it's shipyard work completed. I have to think that missing it would be devastating
1 night: Annapolis Royal--the plan is to base ourselves here and head to Tiverton on Digby Neck for a whale watch on a Kodiak. The balance of the day spending in Annapolis Royal or Bear River
3 nights: Ingonish Beach (Keltic Lodge)--This is the toughest part of the trip given the driving distance---not a problem for me, but perhaps the rest of the family. I thought about staying in Baddeck or further south, but would prefer to stay in a place for more than 1 night. Can (should) this travel leg be done? With 4 days/3 nights in Ingonish Beach, I have got to think that we can spend the better part of a day driving back down to Baddeck (hoping to sail on the Amoeba).
2 nights in Aspy Bay area (4 Mile Beach Inn)--this is our kind of place it seems. I know my wife and I will love it, but not sure about the kids. So, between these 5 nights (3 nights above), we should have plenty of time along the Trail to hike, perhaps whale watch, sail, take in the National Park's trails, etc.)
1 night: Mabou (Mabou River Inn)--plans are to take in the Celtic/musical side of the island at the Red Shoe Pub and more.
3 nights back in Halifax--Fort, history, shopping. We timed this specifically for Canada Day there as we've never experience the country's big celebration day.
So, does this absolutely need to be adjusted somewhere? I'd love to see the effects of the Bay of Fundy, but that seems somewhat time consuming. I think we're fortunate to have 13 days, but really didn't want to live out of a backpack each night and wanted to somewhat settle in a couple of places for more than 1 night at a stop.
Any local feedback greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Canada activity »
- 1 45th Birthday Getaway
- 2 Seattle and Vancouver/Victoria
- 3 Montreal & Quebec City - June/July
- 4 Layover in Toronto
- 5 Nature drive in Canada and the U.S.
- 6 Travel agencies in Toronto, ON, Canada
- 7 Grround transportation from Vancouver Airport
- 8 Icefields Parkway
- 9 Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise, Calgary ITINERARY
- 10 Eastern Canada trip with 3 kids -- advice/itinerary needed
- 11 Driving From Vancouver to Jasper, Banff, Lake Louise all over
- 12 4 Days Vancouver & 5 in Whistler
- 13 Keltic Lodge
- 14 Cat Ferry to Nova Scotia?
- 15 Question on Staying on Nova Scotia
- 16 Niagara Falls - 2 Nights Family of 4
- 17 NS and PEI with elderly traveller
- 18 Vancouver & Vancouver Island
- 19 Vancouver to Toronto car or train?
- 20 Vancouver to Ft St John/return - summer road trip
- 21 Help with Niagara Falls and Toronto planning, please!
- 22 Banff to Jasper and back
- 23 Canmore for a few days
- 24 The Canadian
- 25 2 weeks ‘corridor’, lowbudget daytrips by public bus, book on the spot?