we are a family of father, mother, 6 yo and 2.5 yo. We were all set to go to Japanese Alps (about 500km or 250 miles away from the nuclear plant) late June - July. But now that the whole nuclear thing is rated a 7 and not dying down, I am cancelling my plan since we do have 2 young kids in tow.
Some of my family is based in Brisbane, so I am thinking of flying there and roughly basing ourselves there. But I'm not sure what we can do not far from Brisbane. We come from super polluted, cramped, humid and hot Jakarta, so we look for outdoor spaces for the kids to run around, walkable cities, temperate weather (we like cold, just not freezing or scorching hot like Brisbane in December . Some of the places we've been to and enjoyed: Hong Kong, Amsterdam, Brugge, Brisbane, Zurich, Queenstown, Japanese villages. Some of the places I don't find as pleasant: Venice, Athens, Tokyo.
We are not big skiers, so we are not looking to do winter sports. I know we are gonna spend some time in Brisbane just to relax, do some shopping, let the kids go to the playground.
Is it warm enough for us to go to the Great Barrier Reef? Can the kids swim and play in the water? If you mention Cairns, would you mind being more specific on which places to go? It doesn't have to be super kid friendly at all.
Thanks so much if you've made it this far.
Where to go in July not too far from Brisbane?
- 1 Sightseeing & transport in Sydney
- 2 Toucan2 in Sydney December 31--mini GTG anyone?
- 3 Alices Springs and uluru tour
- 4 Emirates and Jetstar
- 5 17 days in NZ - NI and SI - Would like feedback on finalizing itinerary
- 6 16 days all over New Zealand
- 7 Songdoc's "Mini" NZ Trip Report: Auckland, Wellington & Abel Tasman
- 8 Sydney/GBR/Cairns
- 9 Cricket, diving and NZ - how long to fit it all in?
- 10 Interesting women's clothes shops in Sydney?
- 11 Heading to Australia!
- 12 New Zealand Accommodation Recommendations Needed
- 13 South Island Itinerary
- 14 Franz Josef Glacier in December - Weather and Packing
- 15 A quick jaunt to WASHINGTON DC, CHICAGO, MOOREA FRENCH POLYNESIA - Oct 2013
- 16 Trip Report: Milford and Routeburn Tracks Nov 2010
- 17 Having trouble with 17 day itinerary in Australia especially Melbourne area
- 18 Information on Transit Visa in Australia
- 19 NZ Winter 2013 (July) Trip Report - 20 days SI & NI
- 20 victoria in march
- 21 3 months in Australia and New Zealand
- 22 Victoria with kids
- 23 Puffing billy day trip from Melbourne
- 24 Egyptian Clay Bowl
- 25 Australia for 4 weeks