we are a family of father, mother, 6 yo and 2.5 yo. We were all set to go to Japanese Alps (about 500km or 250 miles away from the nuclear plant) late June - July. But now that the whole nuclear thing is rated a 7 and not dying down, I am cancelling my plan since we do have 2 young kids in tow.
Some of my family is based in Brisbane, so I am thinking of flying there and roughly basing ourselves there. But I'm not sure what we can do not far from Brisbane. We come from super polluted, cramped, humid and hot Jakarta, so we look for outdoor spaces for the kids to run around, walkable cities, temperate weather (we like cold, just not freezing or scorching hot like Brisbane in December . Some of the places we've been to and enjoyed: Hong Kong, Amsterdam, Brugge, Brisbane, Zurich, Queenstown, Japanese villages. Some of the places I don't find as pleasant: Venice, Athens, Tokyo.
We are not big skiers, so we are not looking to do winter sports. I know we are gonna spend some time in Brisbane just to relax, do some shopping, let the kids go to the playground.
Is it warm enough for us to go to the Great Barrier Reef? Can the kids swim and play in the water? If you mention Cairns, would you mind being more specific on which places to go? It doesn't have to be super kid friendly at all.
Thanks so much if you've made it this far.
Where to go in July not too far from Brisbane?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Tasmania or Fiji?
- 2 Great Barrier Reef---Luxury resort and convenient snorkeling
- 3 Aussie SPRING with foodie & wino...Perth? SW region? GBR? Help!
- 4 New Zealand itinerary help
- 5 Hotel in Sydney
- 6 Anniversary Cruise Struggling with Excursions
- 7 Melbourne Drive
- 8 Hotel w. airport shuttle in Sydney
- 9 Sydney or Melbourne
- 10 Christchurch flooding, motorists should expect delays
- 11 Qantas Flight QF 7
- 12 Hamilton Station, NSW Taxis
- 13 Fishing Charters on Rarotonga
- 14 Adventure Vacation to Australia !!! Need suggestions.
- 15 The Wonders of Western Australia: Trip Report & Slideshow
- 16 Australia in 28 days (Sept 17- Oct 18, 2012)
- 17 Kakadu yellow river cruise
- 18 Launceston,Tasmania-where to stay?
- 19 New York Times guide to Perth
- 20 Where to go in Oz/NZ in March and April?
- 21 1 month Australia East Coast December / January - ideas
- 22 Tasmania-11 nights and more questions
- 23 Shopping for Opals
- 24 Cooking classes near Melbourne
- 25 Tasmania-where to stay for Freycinet Park,Launceston,Cradle Mt?