I'll be traveling to the south island, New Zealand in October and want to know if I should plan to visit the west coast or moreso the Mt. Cook/Dundedin/Akaroa area. I'll be including Queenstown/Milford Sound in both itineraries. I've read that New Zealand is predicted to have an El Nino type of effect in the spring, which means winds continuing to blow in from the south west. I know overall, that the west coast tends to be a bit more rainy, but I believe that the west coast is more spectacular in terms of scenery. I don't think it would be too much fun, however, if there was substantial rainy wet weather. What type of weather does the Mt Cook area or Dunedin get around that time of year? I just wanted to see if Mt Cook was a bit drier before I book hotels and choose some activities. Since I'll only be there one week, I like to have things booked so I don't have to worry, so once I make an itinerary, I'll be sticking to it for the most part. Any suggestions would be appreciated....thanks
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Pudding cups in New Zealand
- 2 Uluru
- 3 In & Around Melbourne & Sydney
- 4 Picton to Queenstown 6days
- 5 NEW ZEALAND 18 DAYS ITINERARY
- 6 16 days in Australia
- 7 Exmouth WhaleSharks and Wildflowers
- 8 NZ forum HELP- North and South Island itinerary review
- 9 Gluten free Australia
- 10 Sydney to Coffs Harbour in Jan with kids, 9 and 11
- 11 New Zealnd 17 days--North to Top of the South Itinerary
- 12 Between a rock and a hard spot
- 13 bushwalking in the Blue Mountains
- 14 Where to stay overnight between Abel Tasman NP and Fox Glacier?
- 15 Cairns & Port Douglas
- 16 One week stay using Brisbane as starting base
- 17 Melbourne, GOR & Grampians
- 18 Brisbane to Sydney in 4-5 days! Itinerary help!
- 19 from Te Anau, NZ: fly to AKL from Invercargill or Queenstown?
- 20 25day planning for Australia
- 21 Going to Uluru - Is it worth it?
- 22 Help New Zealand
- 23 Snow ideas near Melbourne and Sydney
- 24 8 day trip to New Zealand
- 25 Hervey Bay Whales & Apartment