I'll be traveling to the south island, New Zealand in October and want to know if I should plan to visit the west coast or moreso the Mt. Cook/Dundedin/Akaroa area. I'll be including Queenstown/Milford Sound in both itineraries. I've read that New Zealand is predicted to have an El Nino type of effect in the spring, which means winds continuing to blow in from the south west. I know overall, that the west coast tends to be a bit more rainy, but I believe that the west coast is more spectacular in terms of scenery. I don't think it would be too much fun, however, if there was substantial rainy wet weather. What type of weather does the Mt Cook area or Dunedin get around that time of year? I just wanted to see if Mt Cook was a bit drier before I book hotels and choose some activities. Since I'll only be there one week, I like to have things booked so I don't have to worry, so once I make an itinerary, I'll be sticking to it for the most part. Any suggestions would be appreciated....thanks
west coast vs mt cook/dunedin/akaroa area in october
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Darwin vs Cairns
- 2 Best/ Most beautiful/scenic GrayLine Tours in Australia and NZ?
- 3 Family trip to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
- 4 Honeymoon in Australia - Sydney
- 5 Review our NZ Itinerary please
- 6 First trip to NZ (2 weeks in Dec/Jan)
- 7 Skiing for beginners
- 8 12 day Australia Itinerary
- 9 Lochiel Fraudulant Hotel near Melbourne warning to fellow travellers
- 10 Kangaroo Island/port Douglas
- 11 New Zealand: Cruise vs. Land
- 12 Itinerary Help
- 13 I've been, I've been to the Land Down Under...
- 14 Tasmania-11 nights and more questions
- 15 Packing List
- 16 Abel - Kayak and Walk / Timing Questions
- 17 4 weeks in NZ in Feb. 2015
- 18 Sydney and Auckland
- 19 Internet access
- 20 Night Out Byron Bay
- 21 Christchurch or Auckland?
- 22 Planning first trip to Australia - input requested.
- 23 10 days itinerary
- 24 Fremantle my love..
- 25 26 day NZ motorhome itinerary.