I'll be traveling to the south island, New Zealand in October and want to know if I should plan to visit the west coast or moreso the Mt. Cook/Dundedin/Akaroa area. I'll be including Queenstown/Milford Sound in both itineraries. I've read that New Zealand is predicted to have an El Nino type of effect in the spring, which means winds continuing to blow in from the south west. I know overall, that the west coast tends to be a bit more rainy, but I believe that the west coast is more spectacular in terms of scenery. I don't think it would be too much fun, however, if there was substantial rainy wet weather. What type of weather does the Mt Cook area or Dunedin get around that time of year? I just wanted to see if Mt Cook was a bit drier before I book hotels and choose some activities. Since I'll only be there one week, I like to have things booked so I don't have to worry, so once I make an itinerary, I'll be sticking to it for the most part. Any suggestions would be appreciated....thanks
west coast vs mt cook/dunedin/akaroa area in october
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Aussie SPRING with foodie & wino...Perth? SW region? GBR? Help!
- 2 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 3 Great Barrier Reef---Luxury resort and convenient snorkeling
- 4 Tasmania or Fiji?
- 5 New Zealand itinerary help
- 6 Hotel in Sydney
- 7 Anniversary Cruise Struggling with Excursions
- 8 Melbourne Drive
- 9 Hotel w. airport shuttle in Sydney
- 10 Sydney or Melbourne
- 11 Christchurch flooding, motorists should expect delays
- 12 Qantas Flight QF 7
- 13 Hamilton Station, NSW Taxis
- 14 Fishing Charters on Rarotonga
- 15 Adventure Vacation to Australia !!! Need suggestions.
- 16 The Wonders of Western Australia: Trip Report & Slideshow
- 17 Australia in 28 days (Sept 17- Oct 18, 2012)
- 18 Kakadu yellow river cruise
- 19 Launceston,Tasmania-where to stay?
- 20 New York Times guide to Perth
- 21 Where to go in Oz/NZ in March and April?
- 22 1 month Australia East Coast December / January - ideas
- 23 Tasmania-11 nights and more questions
- 24 Shopping for Opals
- 25 Cooking classes near Melbourne