I'll be traveling to the south island, New Zealand in October and want to know if I should plan to visit the west coast or moreso the Mt. Cook/Dundedin/Akaroa area. I'll be including Queenstown/Milford Sound in both itineraries. I've read that New Zealand is predicted to have an El Nino type of effect in the spring, which means winds continuing to blow in from the south west. I know overall, that the west coast tends to be a bit more rainy, but I believe that the west coast is more spectacular in terms of scenery. I don't think it would be too much fun, however, if there was substantial rainy wet weather. What type of weather does the Mt Cook area or Dunedin get around that time of year? I just wanted to see if Mt Cook was a bit drier before I book hotels and choose some activities. Since I'll only be there one week, I like to have things booked so I don't have to worry, so once I make an itinerary, I'll be sticking to it for the most part. Any suggestions would be appreciated....thanks
west coast vs mt cook/dunedin/akaroa area in october
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Help with South Island Itinerary Please
- 2 The Rainbow Coast, Western Australia photos
- 3 2 week trip in AU: 5 nights in Sydney and 5 nights in Cairns area?
- 4 Dare I Plan? Melbourne - Sydney - Auckland
- 5 Packages
- 6 Trip itinerary-Sydney Melbourne Tasmania
- 7 Melbourne Itinery - GOR/Mornington/Philips Island
- 8 Should we change our plans ???
- 9 Please critique my plan for 2 weeks in Australia (first trip)
- 10 Victoria to Uluru - Trip Report
- 11 Australia and New Zealand 2 month itinerary
- 12 Australia Vacation Sept 2014: Focus on WA
- 13 Tour/Travel Company-Goway
- 14 Paging Cathies
- 15 Kangaroo island
- 16 Itinerary 20 days
- 17 Avoid Europcar car rental
- 18 One day in Fiji
- 19 Looking for feedback on four week itinerary
- 20 Leaving on a jet plane....
- 21 Queenstown to Nelson Itinerary Question
- 22 Recommendations for kids travel book?
- 23 Rent or buy campervan
- 24 Great Ocean Road Itinerary
- 25 Melbourne Tram riders and visitors