I'm planning a trip to the South Island NZ at the beginning of October. I have 3 itineraries that I'm playing around with and just can't decide which one. My husband and I have a total of 6 days to spend in the South Island, flying out on the morning of the 7th. We'll be flying in from Auckland from Australia. We like some active activities, i.e kayaking, but also enjoy the scenery.
Question about 1st itinerary: Is it too rushed from Milford Sound up through the west coast, or is it doable with time to actually get out and do some short hikes on the west coast:
The first itinerary:
1. Fly to Christchurch-arrive at 7:40am and drive to Akaroa. Kayak and do the penguin tour at night. Stay in Akaroa
2. Drive to Dunedin and do Elm Wildlife Tour from 3-8pm; stay in Dunedin
3. Drive to Te'Anau (either straight over or through Catlin Coast)-stay in Te'Anau
4. Milford Sound Cruise at 8:55, then drive to Wanaka with a stop in Queenstown
5. See Haast and drive to Fox Glacier and through to Hokitita
6. Drive from Hokitita to Westport to Nelson
7. Fly out from Nelson
The second itinerary is similar, but done in reverse and adds an extra day to the west coast, which cuts off Akaroa at the end.
The third itineray is the same as the first one through the Milford Sound Cruise, then instead of driving to Wanaka, we would drive to Queenstown and overnight there. On Day 5, we would drive to Mt. Cook and hike and then to Lake Tekapu. On Day 6, we would drive back to Christchurch and fly from Christchurch.
Any thoughts/suggestions would be helpful.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Seeking StopOver Ideas for US to Australia Trip
- 2 some questions about upcoming trip to Australia and New Zealand
- 3 A family trip to Sydney and the Blue Mountains
- 4 Apex car rental in Australia
- 5 Drive from Nelson or Christchurch to Queenstown during winter
- 6 6 1/2 weeks Australia and New Zealand
- 7 Stay near to Melbourne airport / city?
- 8 help on NZ trip itinerary, what to keep what to skip
- 9 Where best to pickup rental car in Sydney to travel to the Blue Mountains?
- 10 Fantastic South Island Trip May-June 2016
- 11 New Zealand 12 Days Aug-Sept
- 12 2016 Rugby internationals - anyone watching?
- 13 Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand
- 14 13 Days North & South Island in October (NZ Spring)
- 15 Tasmania
- 16 NZ expects 4.5 million tourists per year by 2022
- 17 Help for 6 days based in Queenstown
- 18 Accommodations Brisbane
- 19 Skiing in Australia in July?
- 20 Australia 2017 - Oz Winter or Spring Honeymoon?
- 21 Cairns to Sydney early 2017
- 22 Repositioning cruise
- 23 18 days nz.
- 24 South Island over December-January Holidays
- 25 Australia/New Zealand 3 weeks
West Coast New Zealand vs time for activities, i.e kayaking in Akaroa