Looking for some feedback on an upcoming trip to Australia in January. I have about two weeks that I plan to split primarily between Melbourne and southeastern Australia, and the Cairns/Gold Coast/Brisbane area. One of the other things I really wanted to do was make the trip out to Uluru for a few days, but I'm wondering if the heat in January will make it not enjoyable.
I'm not easily intimidated by hot weather; I've just returned from four months backpacking in the sweltering heat and humidity in Southeast Asia, but I've heard the exposure and dryness of the Red Centre can be pretty unbearable. So, I don't mind heat to a certain extent, but if it's going to be really unpleasant, there's so much else to see in Australia and maybe Uluru is best saved for another trip.
Alternatives for me would be something like Kangaroo Island or Fraser Island, or more time in Cairns or some time in Adelaide or the Barossa Valley. Very open to other suggestions on any of this, though Melbourne is a must for me. I'm a big tennis fan so I want to be there from the tournament, but other than that, I'm not set on this itinerary.
I'm 23, female, traveling alone. I'm planning to rent a car in these places so driving doesn't intimidate me, and I'm traveling on a mid-level budget. I'm fine splurging on a great hotel or something really amazing in one location if I can travel on the cheap everywhere else.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 VERIZON Password Recovery CONTACT ☎ 1:8OO:54O:683O Technical SUPP0RT 24*7
- 2 Vacation to New Zealand during deep Winter
- 3 5 days trip in South Island
- 4 5 nights in Sydney
- 5 Oct - 30 Day Trip to Australia & New Zealand
- 6 4 weeks in New Zealand
- 7 14 day South NZ Trip
- 8 NZ's Yellow Eyed Penguins Face Extinction on the Mainland
- 9 North Island Itinerary Help
- 10 Visa for Australia
- 11 Gold Coast -whale watching
- 12 Hotel Sydney
- 13 Transportation advice needed
- 14 Need advice on Blue Mountain trip
- 15 Sydney Harbor Marriott
- 16 Three days in Cairns
- 17 Best Priced Tour for Sydney Harbor Bridge Blue Mountain & Hunter Valley
- 18 Gold coast for 6 days in July
- 19 2 Nights in Blue moutain End June
- 20 Tasmania - looking for bird watching guide for day trips
- 21 itinerary for one month in Australia with a kid
- 22 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 23 Air Tahiti Baggage Allowance
- 24 Potts point OR CBD in Sydney
- 25 NZ DoC hut fees to rise in some cases