Looking for some feedback on an upcoming trip to Australia in January. I have about two weeks that I plan to split primarily between Melbourne and southeastern Australia, and the Cairns/Gold Coast/Brisbane area. One of the other things I really wanted to do was make the trip out to Uluru for a few days, but I'm wondering if the heat in January will make it not enjoyable.
I'm not easily intimidated by hot weather; I've just returned from four months backpacking in the sweltering heat and humidity in Southeast Asia, but I've heard the exposure and dryness of the Red Centre can be pretty unbearable. So, I don't mind heat to a certain extent, but if it's going to be really unpleasant, there's so much else to see in Australia and maybe Uluru is best saved for another trip.
Alternatives for me would be something like Kangaroo Island or Fraser Island, or more time in Cairns or some time in Adelaide or the Barossa Valley. Very open to other suggestions on any of this, though Melbourne is a must for me. I'm a big tennis fan so I want to be there from the tournament, but other than that, I'm not set on this itinerary.
I'm 23, female, traveling alone. I'm planning to rent a car in these places so driving doesn't intimidate me, and I'm traveling on a mid-level budget. I'm fine splurging on a great hotel or something really amazing in one location if I can travel on the cheap everywhere else.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Christmas Day in Sydney
- 2 Maasdam (Holland America) verse Golden Princess
- 3 Kaikoura roads update
- 4 Free Camping
- 5 New Zealand SI and Auckland
- 6 Driving Times South Island New Zealand
- 7 Clever, mischievous keas
- 8 Perth, Margaret River, Albany loop
- 9 New Zealand: Milford and Routeburn Tracks
- 10 NZ South Island Advice - Glaciers or Abel Tasman?
- 11 17 Days Around New Zealand South Island. My Jaw Dropped Everywhere I went!
- 12 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 3 - Travel Report
- 13 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 2 - Travel Report
- 14 Feedback on my 2 month OZ/NZ itin
- 15 Help with our 14-day NZ Itinerary
- 16 45-ish days Solo NZ Trip Report
- 17 Ohau Point Seal Colony destroyed
- 18 North or South after Perth in rental car?
- 19 Cheap and affordable car hire in port douglas
- 20 14 Day RV from Christchurch
- 21 Whales spotted off Kaikoura first time since quake
- 22 Translation of documents
- 23 SH1 to Kaikoura update
- 24 10 days NZ-crusie or land??
- 25 Cooking classes near Melbourne