Looking for some feedback on an upcoming trip to Australia in January. I have about two weeks that I plan to split primarily between Melbourne and southeastern Australia, and the Cairns/Gold Coast/Brisbane area. One of the other things I really wanted to do was make the trip out to Uluru for a few days, but I'm wondering if the heat in January will make it not enjoyable.
I'm not easily intimidated by hot weather; I've just returned from four months backpacking in the sweltering heat and humidity in Southeast Asia, but I've heard the exposure and dryness of the Red Centre can be pretty unbearable. So, I don't mind heat to a certain extent, but if it's going to be really unpleasant, there's so much else to see in Australia and maybe Uluru is best saved for another trip.
Alternatives for me would be something like Kangaroo Island or Fraser Island, or more time in Cairns or some time in Adelaide or the Barossa Valley. Very open to other suggestions on any of this, though Melbourne is a must for me. I'm a big tennis fan so I want to be there from the tournament, but other than that, I'm not set on this itinerary.
I'm 23, female, traveling alone. I'm planning to rent a car in these places so driving doesn't intimidate me, and I'm traveling on a mid-level budget. I'm fine splurging on a great hotel or something really amazing in one location if I can travel on the cheap everywhere else.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 In and around Sydney
- 2 Buy Real Passports,Driver’s License,ID Cards, Resident permits..
- 3 Driving direction on the Great Ocean Road
- 4 Airport Fees for Europcar Rental Cars
- 5 Six Weeks Down Under
- 6 Cairns airfare getting too high
- 7 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 8 Help with planning 7 weeks in NZ
- 9 Mt Buller for 1 night in July
- 10 Cruising AUS & NZ 2018
- 11 Hamilton Island
- 12 CFP: how much to bring, ATMs?
- 13 3 weeks in NZ
- 14 First Time - Assistance with NZ- South
- 15 Flood Emergency Services
- 16 7 days in New Zealand
- 17 16 Days on the South Island
- 18 Need help in Auckland
- 19 Restaurant recommendations for Tahiti
- 20 Sun, sandflies & sauvignon blanc: A short trip to the spectacular NZ SI
- 21 Itinerary for full day bus trip outside of Auckland
- 22 Uber in Sydney
- 23 Sydney Airport for International Flight
- 24 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 25 Sydney GTG - March 14?