I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
tongariro circuit reopened by late december?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Advice for 5 days north of Cairns
- 2 When to travel to New Zealand?
- 3 Buy snorkeling fins in Sydney
- 4 New Zealand: Milford or Routeburn Track? 8 more days
- 5 Airport Customs in Auckland
- 6 Advice needed for South Pacific ports
- 7 "The Serengeti of Tasmania" - Photos from Narawntapu NP and elsewhere in Australia
- 8 Southern Australia Itinerary Advice July 3rd-July 19th
- 9 Second try for Australia Itinerary in October
- 10 Please help with New Zealand Itinerary - 12 days
- 11 NZ Proposed Trip Itinerary (Constructive Suggestions Appreciated!)
- 12 Mammals and avians in SA and NSW
- 13 16 days all over New Zealand
- 14 My Experience Traveling in New Zealand
- 15 The perfect exotic and romantic location for my girlfriend's 21st?
- 16 Tahiti Honeymoon in November?
- 17 Wash your Boots! A New Zealand Trip Report
- 18 Cairns - boat from Lizard Island
- 19 A major meander through Australia/Tasmania, Bali, Laos & Vietnam.
- 20 Adelaide/Kangaroo Island or AliceSprings/Uluru?
- 21 Australia Trip Guidance Needed - Esp GBR
- 22 Best deal on debit/credit/cash cards
- 23 Small group multi-day hiking operators around Queenstown NZ?
- 24 Question about the "Build Up"
- 25 Tentative South Island NZ itinerary--what do you think?