I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
tongariro circuit reopened by late december?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 suggested 6 day itinerary for South island New Zealand in December
- 2 New Zealand: 2 week Honeymoon: Itinerary planning
- 3 Go into the wild.. Go inland Australia
- 4 So much good wine, so little time; South Australia's Limestone Coast
- 5 Has anyone stayed in the asylum hostel in Sydney recently?
- 6 Help with Australia/NZ itinerary in October.
- 7 How much luggage?
- 8 Most scenic route from Grampians to Burra in one day?
- 9 My tips for NZ motorhome hire
- 10 Tolls Between Sydney and Katoomba, Including Harbor Bridge?
- 11 Urgent help on 12 Nights South Island Itinerary
- 12 Help with itin Jan and Feb for Australia and New Zealand
- 13 Cruise around Australia and New Zealand-followed by land tour
- 14 New Zealand trip, Nov 2014 Part 2
- 15 5 guys travelling the GOR in March
- 16 1 Night Glentanner Park 1 Night Aoraki Court Motel
- 17 14 day honeymoon in NZ. Itinerary help please
- 18 New Zealand trip, Nov 2014
- 19 The Kimberley - Outback Spectcular
- 20 Southwest WA Itinerary Sept 2014
- 21 Australia in Oct - Sydney or Perth?
- 22 How to save in travel cost in Perth, Melborne and Sydney
- 23 Car Rental in Broome to Drop off in Perth
- 24 Sydney 23 Dec - 1st Jan then onto Perth advice please.
- 25 Please help with our first attempt at New Zealand itinerary