I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
tongariro circuit reopened by late december?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Changing nationality Changing the nation Changing the world
- 2 Sydney 23 Dec - 1st Jan then onto Perth advice please.
- 3 14 day honeymoon in NZ. Itinerary help please
- 4 So much good wine, so little time; South Australia's Limestone Coast
- 5 5 guys travelling the GOR in March
- 6 Please help with our first attempt at New Zealand itinerary
- 7 still distorted. I
- 8 planning honeymoon trip in Australia in February
- 9 12-14 Days - Sydney and Auckland - January 2015
- 10 Tahiti? First time Impressions? Good French Polynesia Deals?
- 11 Paging Cathies
- 12 Transit time between international connections at Brisbane Airport?
- 13 Urgent help on 12 Nights South Island Itinerary
- 14 Cape Trib-self-drive or tour
- 15 Traveling between Australia and New Zealand in June
- 16 Weather ?
- 17 Wicked Camper: DON'T ever hire from them!!!!!!!!!!
- 18 Need Help with a 16 night itinerary in Australia with Kids
- 19 Itinerary Planning
- 20 Sydney - City to Surf. 10 August 2014
- 21 South IslandItinerary Help
- 22 Australia Trip Report with Pictures May 2013
- 23 Lazy, don't want to research on line..
- 24 Sydney for 3 days
- 25 Careful before booking any short-term accommodation on NSW Coast