I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
tongariro circuit reopened by late december?
- 1 Where to stay in Christchurch?
- 2 Need Packing Advice for Sydney and New Zealand in January
- 3 17 days in NZ - NI and SI - Would like feedback on finalizing itinerary
- 4 14 days in NZ in February
- 5 Emirates and Jetstar
- 6 Sightseeing & transport in Sydney
- 7 Alices Springs and uluru tour
- 8 Toucan2 in Sydney December 31--mini GTG anyone?
- 9 16 days all over New Zealand
- 10 Songdoc's "Mini" NZ Trip Report: Auckland, Wellington & Abel Tasman
- 11 Sydney/GBR/Cairns
- 12 Cricket, diving and NZ - how long to fit it all in?
- 13 Interesting women's clothes shops in Sydney?
- 14 Heading to Australia!
- 15 New Zealand Accommodation Recommendations Needed
- 16 South Island Itinerary
- 17 Franz Josef Glacier in December - Weather and Packing
- 18 A quick jaunt to WASHINGTON DC, CHICAGO, MOOREA FRENCH POLYNESIA - Oct 2013
- 19 Trip Report: Milford and Routeburn Tracks Nov 2010
- 20 Having trouble with 17 day itinerary in Australia especially Melbourne area
- 21 Information on Transit Visa in Australia
- 22 NZ Winter 2013 (July) Trip Report - 20 days SI & NI
- 23 victoria in march
- 24 3 months in Australia and New Zealand
- 25 Victoria with kids