I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Stopover Toronto- Perth
- 2 NZ S Island itinerary help please!
- 3 Bay of Islands vs Marlborough Sound
- 4 Question on Driving from Sydney to Blue Mts
- 5 Tasmania Itinerary
- 6 Tasmania, Melbourne, and the Great Ocean Road--November/December 2015
- 7 Scuba trip Great Barrier Reef
- 8 January-March When to visit NZ
- 9 Best spot for first time SCUBA
- 10 Hikes in New Zealand
- 11 New Zealand Itinerary Help
- 12 Australia/New Zealand 3 weeks
- 13 Tiger Air and Baggage Fees
- 14 Nervous American driving in AU
- 15 Domestic flights in Australia? when?
- 16 9.5 days in New Zealand
- 17 Milford Sound day trip sounds like too long a day!
- 18 New Zeaaland
- 19 A major meander through Australia/Tasmania, Bali, Laos & Vietnam.
- 20 HELP! New Zealand 2weeks July with baby (and pregnant)
- 21 New Zealand on our own?
- 22 2nd year visa extentiom
- 23 Sydney places to stay
- 24 Sydney in March
- 25 Help, 24 hours in Tassie to fill!!