I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Christmas Day in Sydney
- 2 hotels Sydney Jan 10-15, 2017
- 3 Tara Elizabeth Buchanan - Best places to visit in Sydney
- 4 Perth, Margaret River, Albany loop
- 5 Help with NZ Travel
- 6 Christmas Day in Auckland
- 7 Bora Bora- April or/vs May+Agencies/Travel/Activites/Places to stay
- 8 NZ get off cruise and drive to QT/Fjorland?
- 9 Maasdam (Holland America) verse Golden Princess
- 10 Kaikoura roads update
- 11 Free Camping
- 12 New Zealand SI and Auckland
- 13 Driving Times South Island New Zealand
- 14 Clever, mischievous keas
- 15 New Zealand: Milford and Routeburn Tracks
- 16 NZ South Island Advice - Glaciers or Abel Tasman?
- 17 17 Days Around New Zealand South Island. My Jaw Dropped Everywhere I went!
- 18 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 3 - Travel Report
- 19 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 2 - Travel Report
- 20 Feedback on my 2 month OZ/NZ itin
- 21 Help with our 14-day NZ Itinerary
- 22 45-ish days Solo NZ Trip Report
- 23 Ohau Point Seal Colony destroyed
- 24 North or South after Perth in rental car?
- 25 Cheap and affordable car hire in port douglas