I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Honeymoon in New Zealand! Looking for some final thoughts on itinerary
- 2 New Zealand - A 7 week road trip
- 3 Flights from Ottawa to Sydney to Auckland
- 4 using a credit card in AU and NZ
- 5 Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand
- 6 New Zealnd 17 days--North to Top of the South Itinerary
- 7 Sydney places to stay
- 8 2 days post cruise in Sydney
- 9 transfer services between Sydney Airport and hotels
- 10 A family trip to Sydney and the Blue Mountains
- 11 New Zealand Honeymoon Itinerary
- 12 Cairns/Port Douglas from Sydney
- 13 Fantastic South Island Trip May-June 2016
- 14 Best spot for first time SCUBA
- 15 South Island Trip Planning: Akaroa Tour or Tranzalpine?
- 16 Transiting in Nadi Airport, Fiji
- 17 Scuba trip Great Barrier Reef
- 18 North island New Zealand-help
- 19 Rarotonga
- 20 Australia New Zealand - help with itinerary
- 21 New Zealand SI book ahead??
- 22 South Island trip in Oct.
- 23 What Do you Think of My Itin
- 24 Great Barrier Reef in January/February??
- 25 7 full days itinerary in Melbourne