I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 1 extra day to Nelson or Picton
- 2 Phone Cards
- 3 4-hour layover in Melbourne (From LAX to New Zealand)
- 4 Base for visiting great barrier reef
- 5 Sydney to Brisbane
- 6 Australia Trip Report (Sydney, Cairns, Hamilton Island) 2012
- 7 February Travel
- 8 its just a post
- 9 dinner cruise in sydney harbor
- 10 24 day itinary on both islanxs
- 11 South Island versus North Island NZ
- 12 Is Mid October too late for the wildflowers in Western Australia?
- 13 Traveling through East Coast
- 14 NZ November!
- 15 New Zealand Sth Island
- 16 Advice for 21 Day New Zealand Motorhome
- 17 Brisbane to Sydney in 4-5 days! Itinerary help!
- 18 Australia in 2 Weeks
- 19 How to allocate time: bora bora, tahit, moorea?
- 20 3 weeks New Zealand - Apr 2017
- 21 AUS/NZ trip planning
- 22 Abel Tasman National Park
- 23 Visiting New Zealand/Australia in April
- 24 Finalizing OZ Itinerary
- 25 New Zealand First Timer