I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 west and north Tasmania
- 2 South Australia Help with Itinerary
- 3 Trip to Cairns
- 4 Australia: "Home" for the Holidays
- 5 Beers in Oz
- 6 NZ visa denials
- 7 Great Barrier Reef - Non Swimmers
- 8 Brisbane to Sydney
- 9 5 days in South Island
- 10 Vini SIM card?
- 11 Campervan drive in NZ with toddler - good?
- 12 New Zealand - baggage storage
- 13 New Zealand Itinerary
- 14 Best time to visit New Zealand?
- 15 New Zealand February 2017 Questions
- 16 Help on Itinerary
- 17 Sydney Trip
- 18 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 19 Just got back from Bora Bora, French Polynesia. Honeymoon video inside.
- 20 Sydney. Where to stay.
- 21 Restaurant for Birthday Dinner in Melourne
- 22 Indian restaurants in Sydney.
- 23 Extra 2 nights = help
- 24 February Australia Visit
- 25 Best wildlife near sydney