I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 How to split up Australia?
- 2 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 3 Self Drive Tour Itinerary - Safety, Convenience, Activities, Itinerary HELP
- 4 Brisbane to Sydney
- 5 Wellington Airport to hotel
- 6 East Coast Australia
- 7 Six Weeks Down Under
- 8 North and South Island of NZ
- 9 Clearing Kaikoura to Picton road
- 10 Romantic 10 nights Fiji - Oct 2017
- 11 NEW ZEALAND 18 DAYS ITINERARY
- 12 Marlborough Sounds
- 13 Blue mountain in July
- 14 More pilot whales to strand at NZ's Farewell Spit
- 15 Tonga January Weather
- 16 Tasmania, Melbourne, and the Great Ocean Road--November/December 2015
- 17 1 Month Hiking in New Zealand
- 18 Scenary around Winton QLD
- 19 Alesund - Geiranger
- 20 Drive from Melbourne to Sydney
- 21 australia for first time
- 22 August Honeymoon Help?
- 23 Auckland restaurants and brewpubs?
- 24 Best way to exchange US dollars for Australian and NZ dollars
- 25 South Island - 8 days