I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
tongariro circuit reopened by late december?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Abel - Kayak and Walk / Timing Questions
- 2 4 weeks in NZ in Feb. 2015
- 3 12 day Australia Itinerary
- 4 Sydney and Auckland
- 5 Lochiel Fraudulant Hotel near Melbourne warning to fellow travellers
- 6 Internet access
- 7 Night Out Byron Bay
- 8 Christchurch or Auckland?
- 9 Planning first trip to Australia - input requested.
- 10 Family trip to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane
- 11 10 days itinerary
- 12 Fremantle my love..
- 13 26 day NZ motorhome itinerary.
- 14 Packing List
- 15 Do Great Ocean Road or head to New Zealand?
- 16 Books?
- 17 Four Weeks on the South Island. Report
- 18 Choosing a Visa
- 19 Australia & NZ -3 weeks
- 20 One spare day in Darwin
- 21 Planning a trip to Melbourne
- 22 Kangaroo Island/port Douglas
- 23 Travel Visa
- 24 Canberra
- 25 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland