I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 In & Around Melbourne & Sydney
- 2 NEW ZEALAND 18 DAYS ITINERARY
- 3 16 days in Australia
- 4 Exmouth WhaleSharks and Wildflowers
- 5 NZ forum HELP- North and South Island itinerary review
- 6 Gluten free Australia
- 7 Sydney to Coffs Harbour in Jan with kids, 9 and 11
- 8 New Zealnd 17 days--North to Top of the South Itinerary
- 9 Picton to Queenstown 6days
- 10 Uluru
- 11 Pudding cups in New Zealand
- 12 Between a rock and a hard spot
- 13 bushwalking in the Blue Mountains
- 14 Where to stay overnight between Abel Tasman NP and Fox Glacier?
- 15 Cairns & Port Douglas
- 16 One week stay using Brisbane as starting base
- 17 Melbourne, GOR & Grampians
- 18 Brisbane to Sydney in 4-5 days! Itinerary help!
- 19 from Te Anau, NZ: fly to AKL from Invercargill or Queenstown?
- 20 25day planning for Australia
- 21 Going to Uluru - Is it worth it?
- 22 Help New Zealand
- 23 Snow ideas near Melbourne and Sydney
- 24 8 day trip to New Zealand
- 25 Hervey Bay Whales & Apartment