I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
tongariro circuit reopened by late december?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Christchurch or Akaroa?
- 2 Where to stop for lunch on way to Blue Mountains
- 3 Kangaroo island
- 4 Kangaroo Island - need sanity check and inputs
- 5 REX AIRLINES-from Adelaide to Kangaroo Island
- 6 Help organizing a Tasmanian road trip
- 7 Is Jetstar really that bad?
- 8 Sydney taxi driver-USD or credit card
- 9 No Snakes, No Worries: A Summer Trip to New Zealand
- 10 Whitsundays Rainforest survival tour
- 11 New Zealand Trip: Late September/South Island/10 days.
- 12 Sculptures by the Sea 2015, Cottesloe Beach
- 13 Photobook from trip to New Zealand
- 14 Best Island accessible from Port Denarau - 1 night
- 15 6 days and 5 nights in Fiji - recommended itinerary?
- 16 When to visit Great Barrier Reef
- 17 Does Anyone Visit Papua New Guinea
- 18 Wash your Boots! A New Zealand Trip Report
- 19 Is it possible to do highlights of Australia & NZ in 2 weeks?
- 20 NZ with elderly mom - itinerary help please!
- 21 Karijini (Paraburdoo) to Newman Airport
- 22 ETA website
- 23 DIY Sydney surroundings
- 24 Transfer time in Sydney between domestc and international?
- 25 Short Visit to Tasmania