I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Whisky Australia
- 2 Tongariro NP hikes - advise please!
- 3 Six Days in New Zealand South Island
- 4 Help with Australia Itinerary
- 5 Broad Intin for Australia
- 6 New Zealand itinerary advice please
- 7 Fraser Island or Coffs harbour
- 8 Australia help
- 9 New Zealand itinerary advice please
- 10 13 Days North & South Island in October (NZ Spring)
- 11 Which company is better? if we would like to buy a SIM card
- 12 Milford Track vs Jomalhari trek in Bhutan
- 13 Ferry between islands
- 14 A Short Stay in Adelaide City
- 15 28 days to campervan around australia
- 16 9.5 days in New Zealand
- 17 hotel options in Melbourne
- 18 Where can I rent a pocket wifi in NZ?
- 19 South Island Final Itinerary (mostly)
- 20 Port Douglas - Car Hire or not?
- 21 Southern Highlands vs Hunter Valley
- 22 3 days itinerary for Melbourne- Suggestions required
- 23 Sydney - City Sights Travel Report
- 24 NZ in December with 2 kids 9 and 7
- 25 Present Host Parents