I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
tongariro circuit reopened by late december?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Location suggestions: beachy long weekend from Auckland?
- 2 mobile wifi device for Australia
- 3 Sydney
- 4 One day in Fiji
- 5 NZ: A Series of Bitter Disappointments -- a Songdoc Trip Report
- 6 Our First Trip to New Zealand
- 7 The Earth Makes Music for Those Who Listen; Siblings on the South Island
- 8 Dare I Plan? Melbourne - Sydney - Auckland
- 9 Australia and New Zealand 2 month itinerary
- 10 Experienced Aussie travellers needed for a survey
- 11 Done crying and only drinking a little.
- 12 I've read the posts and still either want to cry or drink! Help
- 13 Help with South Island Itinerary Please
- 14 Sydney MyMulti Pass
- 15 New Zealand Itinerary Help
- 16 Australia Vacation Sept 2014: Focus on WA
- 17 Which Fiji or Cook Island ?
- 18 Hobart
- 19 2 week trip in AU: 5 nights in Sydney and 5 nights in Cairns area?
- 20 Should we change our plans ???
- 21 Melbourne Tram riders and visitors
- 22 Leaving on a jet plane....
- 23 Avoid Europcar car rental
- 24 Melbourne Itinery - GOR/Mornington/Philips Island
- 25 The Rainbow Coast, Western Australia photos