I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
tongariro circuit reopened by late december?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Cairns Activities & Excursions for 4 Days
- 2 Best Car rental company to use--Australia & New Zealand
- 3 Is French really spoken in Tahiti?
- 4 South and North New Zealand in three weeks
- 5 Our First Trip to New Zealand
- 6 Adelaide and Kangaroo Island
- 7 Accommodation Brisbane
- 8 Accommodation Brisbane
- 9 Happy Australia Day!
- 10 Booked flights to Brisbane mid-June
- 11 Port Douglas/ Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef
- 12 Tim Tam
- 13 Tipping
- 14 Hobart and Launceston- 4 days each sound ok?
- 15 Transit Time at SYD
- 16 Australia Vacation Sept 2014: Focus on WA
- 17 Where to visit outside Melbourne for several days?
- 18 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 19 Where to stay near Melbourne
- 20 Car rentals south island
- 21 Planning a trip to Melbourne
- 22 Brisbane, need short term accommodation
- 23 18 & 19 year old traveling for two weeks after 7 months in Brisbane
- 24 Pls help with NZ South Island 12 days with surfing itinerary!
- 25 New Zealand South Island in 8 days!