I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
tongariro circuit reopened by late december?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Sydney CBD & Potts Point accommodation
- 2 Paging Cathies
- 3 Family trip over Spring Break
- 4 Cairns/PD - can we manage without a car?
- 5 Currency in Australia and New Zealand
- 6 Reasonable rental accommodation Sydney or surrounds!!
- 7 Traveling between Australia and New Zealand in June
- 8 14 day honeymoon in NZ. Itinerary help please
- 9 Cairns itinerary - inputs needed
- 10 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 11 NewZealand honeymoon suggestions
- 12 5 days in Tasmania
- 13 August week end in Auckland
- 14 Go into the wild.. Go inland Australia
- 15 Limestone Coast, South Australia - ideas needed
- 16 Favorite things to do in Melbourne
- 17 Ferry to Manly Beach
- 18 Recommended transportation for the Blue Mountains
- 19 Help
- 20 10 days in NZ itinerary
- 21 Changing terminals Sydney Airport
- 22 Byron Bay or ...
- 23 Weather in the Blue Mountains - mid September
- 24 Dec 2014 family trip-need help with itinerary
- 25 How many days needed in Sydney?