I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
tongariro circuit reopened by late december?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 If you had 2 months for NZ and Australia
- 2 Perth, Red Center itinerary - need help!
- 3 Four Seasons Sydney
- 4 Auf Wiedersehen Australia
- 5 Christchurch or Akaroa?
- 6 Sydney Airport Hotels?
- 7 5 days in Tasmania--help needed
- 8 Which Island for a longer stay?
- 9 Help organizing a Tasmanian road trip
- 10 NSW/Queensland- 4 free days
- 11 Sydney
- 12 Extra time in Melbourne
- 13 DIY Sydney surroundings
- 14 best time for traveling in the kimberley and NT
- 15 Renting (hiring) a car near Sydney - or not
- 16 NZ North Island Itinerary Critique
- 17 Margo Oz are you there ?
- 18 Need help for Dec.-Jan. Australia trip--Melbourne, Tazzie?, KI?, GBR
- 19 Tassie in winter
- 20 Itinerary help Australia & New Zealand
- 21 The perfect exotic and romantic location for my girlfriend's 21st?
- 22 New Zealand advice
- 23 New Zealand for Solo Travelers
- 24 The Earth Makes Music for Those Who Listen; Siblings on the South Island
- 25 Booked flights to Brisbane mid-June