I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 2/3 day stay on the GBR from Brisbane
- 2 Feedback on 8 week OZ/NZ Itin
- 3 Girls long weekend to Sydney/Katoomba
- 4 North Island
- 5 Port Arthur v Alcatraz
- 6 North Island New Zealand itinerary help Oct 2015
- 7 4 weeks itinerary
- 8 Aug Trip with 2 kiddos, please advise
- 9 Vale - Peterallan, a fine Australian Fodorite
- 10 An Autumn Month in NZ
- 11 Aussie fodorites - can u help?
- 12 Physically Disabled Solo Traveler in Sydney, Cairns
- 13 Rental Cars Locations Auckalnd
- 14 Driving quesitons for New Zealand in the Winter
- 15 Knowing the right shipping cargo container.
- 16 Travel to New Zealand
- 17 North Island - 5 days - Wellington - Auckland
- 18 Tour operators
- 19 time needed - disembarking ferry and to WLG airport
- 20 Winterfest - Medieval Festival - Parramatta
- 21 Need advice for South Island New Zealand trip
- 22 Sydney-Queensland-New Zealand
- 23 travel agency for PNG
- 24 Blue Mountains
- 25 New Zealand North Island Trip recommendations