I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
tongariro circuit reopened by late december?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 I looked for this kind of product that make me personally
- 2 Sydney
- 3 Craig and Jeane Visit Sydney and the Blue Mountains - September 2014
- 4 Tasmania Itinerary Question
- 5 Globus
- 6 Melbourne Itinery - GOR/Mornington/Philips Island
- 7 So much good wine, so little time; South Australia's Limestone Coast
- 8 Melbourne, Adelaide, Tasmania in which order?
- 9 Best phone to use in US and Canada
- 10 Queenstown to Christchurch - Car Hire (P plates)
- 11 A Quick trip to NSW's Central West - an old brown dog, a grapefruit & a
- 12 Blue Mountains Australia
- 13 NEW ZEALAND
- 14 Byron Bay Surf Festival
- 15 New Zealand Marlborough wine country tour
- 16 Canberra Weekend - Art, Table 11 at the Pork Barrel Cafe & 'roo at the Ruby
- 17 Penguins in Bicheno or Phillip Island?
- 18 dinner cruise in sydney harbor
- 19 Queenstown to Nelson Itinerary Question
- 20 Sydney-which pass to buy?
- 21 Initial Planning for NZ trip
- 22 Honeymooning in Australia and NZ
- 23 Itinerary Planning
- 24 New Zealand South Island Itinerary
- 25 Air New Zealand & Virgin Australia Baggage Limits