I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
tongariro circuit reopened by late december?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 First time in NZ and only have a week
- 2 Songdoc's Tasmanian Honeymoon
- 3 Shoe Recommendations for NZ??
- 4 Our First Trip to New Zealand
- 5 The Great Australian Adventure
- 6 NZ SI: Picton to Christchurch anywhere worth staying a night?
- 7 18 & 19 year old traveling for two weeks after 7 months in Brisbane
- 8 Must See/Dos in New Zealand
- 9 21 day New Zealand Itinerary with Milford Track
- 10 Songdoc - Skippers Canyon
- 11 7 day south island itinerary help, start/end in Queenstown
- 12 Moorea - Villas/House/Condo's
- 13 Great Ocean Road Itinerary
- 14 5 week itinerary help
- 15 Beachmere Australias most Unfriendly Town
- 16 Help with Australia/ New Zealand plan!
- 17 New Zealand Trip - Solicit suggestions
- 18 Margaret River, One Bite at a Time
- 19 New Zealand (South Island) 10 Day Itinerary - Need Advice Please
- 20 Ideas for holidays in Australia in January/February
- 21 This special community - Fodorville
- 22 New Zealand -help with itinerary
- 23 Traveling to Hawaii
- 24 Great food/local favorites
- 25 Australia Vacation Sept 2014: Focus on WA