I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
tongariro circuit reopened by late december?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand South Island Itinerary
- 2 Tasmania Itinerary Question
- 3 Air New Zealand & Virgin Australia Baggage Limits
- 4 Sydney
- 5 Queenstown to Nelson Itinerary Question
- 6 So much good wine, so little time; South Australia's Limestone Coast
- 7 Marlborough Sounds???
- 8 Hey, Bokhara2 and cathies, need restaurant recommendations
- 9 8 Day South Island Itinerary in Oct
- 10 Itinerary Planning
- 11 dinner cruise in sydney harbor
- 12 New Zealand itinerary help
- 13 Yarra Valley Wineries
- 14 Fireworks Festival - A "MUST DO"
- 15 Katoomba vs. Leura vs ... ????
- 16 Song doc - one for you
- 17 North Island - 5 days - Wellington - Auckland
- 18 Jet Star?
- 19 Aussie Trip Report: No cities, no worries
- 20 Melbourne, Adelaide, Tasmania in which order?
- 21 dinner cruise in sydney harbor
- 22 NZ Itinerary from Christchurch to Queenstown in 8 days
- 23 Suggestions/ Tips request for 15 Days trip to South Island New Zealand
- 24 NZ South Island Plan
- 25 Tahiti, Cooks Islands or Fiji 20th Anniversary trip