I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
tongariro circuit reopened by late december?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Byron Bay or ...
- 2 Ferry to Manly Beach
- 3 Playing Marbles with the Devil - AKA 2 weeks in the Northern Territory
- 4 Reasonable rental accommodation Sydney or surrounds!!
- 5 Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand.
- 6 Currency in Australia and New Zealand
- 7 Weather in the Blue Mountains - mid September
- 8 Paging Cathies
- 9 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 10 Recommendations for travel on the Great Ocean Road
- 11 Joe Tro's Australia/LA trip report
- 12 Recommended transportation for the Blue Mountains
- 13 August week end in Auckland
- 14 NZ vs Aust
- 15 28 days to campervan around australia
- 16 Changing terminals Sydney Airport
- 17 Wicked Weekend I Melbourne - too much fun!
- 18 5 days in Sydney: itinerary review
- 19 Sydney Weather in September
- 20 Go into the wild.. Go inland Australia
- 21 South Island Suggestions ...
- 22 Favorite things to do in Melbourne
- 23 A Long Weekend Escape to Pemberton, WA
- 24 Bora Bora---Snorkeling AT the resort??
- 25 Sydney-Airport to Hotel Transfer Companies