I will have 10 days in NZ in late december this year. I was initally torn between tongariro and routeburn tramps, watched all the videos etc and was leaning towards tongariro, mostly becuase how unique and different the scenery looked to anything i'd seen in canada... then the volcano erupted... i see that part of the track is now reopened and saw a news reports saying they are hoping to reopen by the summer. should i still keep this in mind, or save it for the next time? is routeburn equally impressive for those who have done both?
if we focused on the south island alone could even squeeze a bit of the queen char also. i've spent a month in NZ a few years ago, traveled extensively but never got to do any hiking, now were taking a side trip from a visit to Aus just for that.
thanks for the feedback
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Sydney on New Years Eve: Worth It?
- 2 Need help on 2 week itinerary - North Island, winter, with kids (5, 7, 10)
- 3 One day in Sydney
- 4 Help a North American understand winter in New Zealand
- 5 Need Advice for NZ winter trip itinerary
- 6 Franz Josef or Mt. Cook?
- 7 New Zealand Itinerary January/February
- 8 Dec trip - Itinerary planning help and recommendations
- 9 3 days for trip from Christchurch
- 10 Wash your Boots! A New Zealand Trip Report
- 11 An Autumn Month in NZ
- 12 Help organizing a Tasmanian road trip
- 13 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary - Sydney & New Zealand (South Island)
- 14 Fiji - Snorkel & Scuba
- 15 9 days in Fiji
- 16 Which Island for a longer stay?
- 17 Great Barrier Reef snorkeling vs Fiji snorkeling for a 2 week honeymoon?
- 18 Auf Wiedersehen Australia
- 19 Australia Itinerary Help In July/August
- 20 Red Centre - how long to stay
- 21 New Zealand/Fiji/Tahiti/Australia oh my
- 22 Physically Disabled Solo Traveler in Sydney, Cairns
- 23 Final leg of trip: SI to NI
- 24 Australia Trip Report: Hayman Island/SCUBA/GBR (part 5)
- 25 New Zealand Trip: Late September/South Island/10 days.