I just came across some trip reports on this forum and they made for some very enjoyable reading, especially details on stay and meals. My DH and I just turned 60 and our trip to the SI is planned for March-April 2016. Here is our planned itinerary:
Day 1: Arrive Christchurch, explore
Day 2: Drive to Kaikoura, walk along the Peninsula Walkway
Day 3: Drive to Picton and take water transport to Marlborough Sounds. Nature Cruise in the afternoon.
Day 4: Explore Marlborough Sounds
Day 5: Drive to Kaiteriteri and take water transport to Abel Tasman Park lodging. Lunch and some time in Nelson?
Day 6: Explore Abel Tasman
Day 7: Drive to Punakaiki
Day 8: Drive to Franz Joseph, perhaps take in Hokitika Gorge?
Day 9: Short walks and Lake Matheson
Day 10: Drive to Wanaka
Day 11: Wanaka in am, drive to Te Anau later in the day
Day 12: Milford Sound coach-cruise-coach
Day 13: Doubtful Sound coach-cruise
Day 14: Drive the SSR to north Catlins, taking in sights along the way
Day 15: Drive to Dunedin and spend the rest of the day at the Otago Peninsula
Day16: Drive to Lake Tekapo via Oamaru and Twizel
Day 17: Explore Lake Tekapo
Day 18: Drive to Mt. Cook, explore
Day 19: Drive to Queenstown, explore
Day 20: Queenstown scenic drives
Day 21: Depart from Queenstown
We will be traveling from Monterey, California. I do not drive so it will be just my DH driving on this trip. We plan to use a rental car and use varied accommodation: hotels, lodges, B&Bs etc.
Thanks very much for your comments!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand - baggage storage
- 2 New Zealand Itinerary
- 3 Best time to visit New Zealand?
- 4 NZ visa denials
- 5 Campervan drive in NZ with toddler - good?
- 6 New Zealand February 2017 Questions
- 7 Help on Itinerary
- 8 Sydney Trip
- 9 Australia: "Home" for the Holidays
- 10 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 11 Just got back from Bora Bora, French Polynesia. Honeymoon video inside.
- 12 Sydney. Where to stay.
- 13 Restaurant for Birthday Dinner in Melourne
- 14 Indian restaurants in Sydney.
- 15 Extra 2 nights = help
- 16 February Australia Visit
- 17 Best wildlife near sydney
- 18 Where to go in Australia
- 19 Bruny Island
- 20 Western Australia
- 21 South Island - West Coast Itinerary
- 22 Vava'u - Tongan Beach Resort - Photoshopped pictures on their website
- 23 New Zealand South Island Alternative Itinerary
- 24 New Zealand travel agents/itinerary
- 25 17 Days Around New Zealand South Island. My Jaw Dropped Everywhere I went!