I am attending a conference in Sydney from 15-19 April. I have a plane ticket into Sydney landing on 9 April. I am a keen (but not very good, although I am PADI certified) diver, but my passion is snorkling. I will be traveling alone, and since this is technically not a holiday, I do not have too much cash to spend on the trip.
I would love to go to the great barrier reef. My question is: How feasible is this and is there a way to do it affordably? I assume I would need to fly there and abck from Sydney. This seems to cost between $200 and $300 one way. Once at the reef, where is the best places to stay? Would a live aboard be possible for two days, one night. And me being a lone traveler would that be possible?
Are there nice snorkling spots closer to Sydney? Are there nice scenic coastal drives close to Sydney?
Should I bother flying around in the 5 days I have or should I rather see Sydney and do a day trip. And if so where? I am more keen on beaches than on the Blue Mountains. I am not so much interested in swimming, since I can do this at home; but would be keen on snorkling or scenic beaches - rocks and cliffs and the likes.
I am used to traveling, also on my own, but have never been to Australia and do not know how easy it would be. Is it advisable to rent a car or use public transport for trips outside of Sydney.
Help much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Help on Itinerary
- 2 Best time to visit New Zealand?
- 3 New Zealand Itinerary
- 4 Sydney Trip
- 5 Australia: "Home" for the Holidays
- 6 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 7 Just got back from Bora Bora, French Polynesia. Honeymoon video inside.
- 8 Sydney. Where to stay.
- 9 Restaurant for Birthday Dinner in Melourne
- 10 Indian restaurants in Sydney.
- 11 Extra 2 nights = help
- 12 February Australia Visit
- 13 New Zealand February 2017 Questions
- 14 Best wildlife near sydney
- 15 Where to go in Australia
- 16 Bruny Island
- 17 Western Australia
- 18 South Island - West Coast Itinerary
- 19 Vava'u - Tongan Beach Resort - Photoshopped pictures on their website
- 20 New Zealand South Island Alternative Itinerary
- 21 New Zealand travel agents/itinerary
- 22 17 Days Around New Zealand South Island. My Jaw Dropped Everywhere I went!
- 23 Milford Sound Coach/Cruise/Fly Options
- 24 10 days in Sydney and surrounding areas
- 25 Telephone Reception