I am attending a conference in Sydney from 15-19 April. I have a plane ticket into Sydney landing on 9 April. I am a keen (but not very good, although I am PADI certified) diver, but my passion is snorkling. I will be traveling alone, and since this is technically not a holiday, I do not have too much cash to spend on the trip.
I would love to go to the great barrier reef. My question is: How feasible is this and is there a way to do it affordably? I assume I would need to fly there and abck from Sydney. This seems to cost between $200 and $300 one way. Once at the reef, where is the best places to stay? Would a live aboard be possible for two days, one night. And me being a lone traveler would that be possible?
Are there nice snorkling spots closer to Sydney? Are there nice scenic coastal drives close to Sydney?
Should I bother flying around in the 5 days I have or should I rather see Sydney and do a day trip. And if so where? I am more keen on beaches than on the Blue Mountains. I am not so much interested in swimming, since I can do this at home; but would be keen on snorkling or scenic beaches - rocks and cliffs and the likes.
I am used to traveling, also on my own, but have never been to Australia and do not know how easy it would be. Is it advisable to rent a car or use public transport for trips outside of Sydney.
Help much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 1 day scenic tour from Gold coast
- 2 Need help on planning 14-15 days trip to Australia
- 3 Help with New Zealand Itinerary
- 4 Australia and New Zealand Oct/Nov 2017
- 5 Mucky, Smchrissy, Margo, Alan -I've lost the New Years Eve thread
- 6 Is this a good time to talk about the Lions' tour?
- 7 Bali, Fiji, Bora Bora, Maldives? Which is better?
- 8 help with intinerary please!
- 9 Early Planning to the South Pacific
- 10 Ahe to Manihi or v.v.
- 11 early planning for NZ South Island trip - please provide feedback
- 12 Quaint
- 13 Milford Sound Coach/Cruise/Fly Options
- 14 North and South Island itinerary feedback
- 15 Ayers Rock Alternative
- 16 Western Australia + Where?
- 17 Family trip report: Tahiti, Huahine, Bora Bora and Moorea
- 18 Port Douglas/Cairns
- 19 Planning a 12-day trip to NZ in November
- 20 7-8 days in Australia, where do we go?
- 21 A few days in Darwin
- 22 Air Tahiti Baggage Allowance
- 23 Hiking, cycling, and kayaking on the South Island
- 24 Ride sharing Service
- 25 Our Three weeks in Australia and PNG