I am attending a conference in Sydney from 15-19 April. I have a plane ticket into Sydney landing on 9 April. I am a keen (but not very good, although I am PADI certified) diver, but my passion is snorkling. I will be traveling alone, and since this is technically not a holiday, I do not have too much cash to spend on the trip.
I would love to go to the great barrier reef. My question is: How feasible is this and is there a way to do it affordably? I assume I would need to fly there and abck from Sydney. This seems to cost between $200 and $300 one way. Once at the reef, where is the best places to stay? Would a live aboard be possible for two days, one night. And me being a lone traveler would that be possible?
Are there nice snorkling spots closer to Sydney? Are there nice scenic coastal drives close to Sydney?
Should I bother flying around in the 5 days I have or should I rather see Sydney and do a day trip. And if so where? I am more keen on beaches than on the Blue Mountains. I am not so much interested in swimming, since I can do this at home; but would be keen on snorkling or scenic beaches - rocks and cliffs and the likes.
I am used to traveling, also on my own, but have never been to Australia and do not know how easy it would be. Is it advisable to rent a car or use public transport for trips outside of Sydney.
Help much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Good quality MMJ Products, CBD oils
- 2 Australia for two weeks.
- 3 What To do In Australia?? Suggest Some Holiday Destination.
- 4 Best Fiji Resort for Shore Snorkeling
- 5 New Zealand-2 days in Rotorua with Toddler
- 6 Middlemarch to Queenstown transportation
- 7 Food to Try Out
- 8 4 days in Sydney: what would you recommend?
- 9 30 Day Itinerary: Wellington & SI - Any suggestions?
- 10 New Zealand Dec-Jan 2017
- 11 Recommended guidebooks
- 12 South Island Road Trip
- 13 Surprises in Australia
- 14 South Island winter time-lapse video
- 15 Moonee Valley, Caulfield, or other track
- 16 Australia Visit in Feb'18
- 17 Air BnB, a bit of a let down
- 18 18 Days tentative NZ Itinerary help
- 19 Ayers Rock Alternative
- 20 Fiji Resorts for 5 nights
- 21 What is the best time to visit Australia?
- 22 New Zealand with a toddler
- 23 Gariwerd - The Grampians
- 24 New Zealand- 4 days Auckland with 2 year old)
- 25 Beautiful Spots in Australia per Conde Nast