I am attending a conference in Sydney from 15-19 April. I have a plane ticket into Sydney landing on 9 April. I am a keen (but not very good, although I am PADI certified) diver, but my passion is snorkling. I will be traveling alone, and since this is technically not a holiday, I do not have too much cash to spend on the trip.
I would love to go to the great barrier reef. My question is: How feasible is this and is there a way to do it affordably? I assume I would need to fly there and abck from Sydney. This seems to cost between $200 and $300 one way. Once at the reef, where is the best places to stay? Would a live aboard be possible for two days, one night. And me being a lone traveler would that be possible?
Are there nice snorkling spots closer to Sydney? Are there nice scenic coastal drives close to Sydney?
Should I bother flying around in the 5 days I have or should I rather see Sydney and do a day trip. And if so where? I am more keen on beaches than on the Blue Mountains. I am not so much interested in swimming, since I can do this at home; but would be keen on snorkling or scenic beaches - rocks and cliffs and the likes.
I am used to traveling, also on my own, but have never been to Australia and do not know how easy it would be. Is it advisable to rent a car or use public transport for trips outside of Sydney.
Help much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand Itinerary - Looking for suggestions on 12-13 days on the Ground
- 2 Picton Drive Through
- 3 Help with planning 7 weeks in NZ
- 4 Six Weeks Down Under
- 5 Parking near Darling Harbour
- 6 North and South Island of NZ
- 7 The southern lights
- 8 Sydney GTG - March 14?
- 9 Mel's NZ Photos
- 10 Queenstown-is it worth it?
- 11 August Honeymoon Help?
- 12 How to split up Australia?
- 13 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 14 Self Drive Tour Itinerary - Safety, Convenience, Activities, Itinerary HELP
- 15 Brisbane to Sydney
- 16 Wellington Airport to hotel
- 17 East Coast Australia
- 18 Clearing Kaikoura to Picton road
- 19 Romantic 10 nights Fiji - Oct 2017
- 20 NEW ZEALAND 18 DAYS ITINERARY
- 21 Marlborough Sounds
- 22 Blue mountain in July
- 23 More pilot whales to strand at NZ's Farewell Spit
- 24 Tonga January Weather
- 25 Tasmania, Melbourne, and the Great Ocean Road--November/December 2015