My husband and I are traveling to Australia in late October/early November of this year. We have 12 days on the ground (not including the travel time from the US and back).
The current plan is spend time in Sydney and the Great Barrier Reef area (preferably Whitsundays). I would like to add a third destination, but my husband thinks it would be too much travel. We are relatively relaxed travelers in that we don't like to be go go go, but I don't want to come so far and not see a lot.
1. Do we have time to add a 3rd destination and if so, where? I am interested in Kangaroo Island for the animal experiences or perhaps Flinders Rock to get a taste of the outback. Uluru was on the list, but it doesn't seem there is much to do there other than the scenery to be worth the time and expense of getting there. Melbourne could be okay, but we'd like more than another city. Perhaps the wine regions around Melbourne would be nice. Husband suggested New Zealand, but that seems ambitious for such a short amount of time.
2. For the Great Barrier Reef, should we spend time around Carins or the Whitsundays? I am interested in traveling to the different islands in the Whitsundays, but Cairns seems easier to fly into. We are snorkelers not divers and would like to snorkel around the GBR.
3. If we only do Sydney and GBR area, how would you divide the time? More time in Sydney or GBR? We would do side trips from Sydney if we had more time (Blue Mountains, etc).
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand - A 7 week road trip
- 2 Honeymoon in New Zealand! Looking for some final thoughts on itinerary
- 3 using a credit card in AU and NZ
- 4 Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand
- 5 Flights from Ottawa to Sydney to Auckland
- 6 New Zealnd 17 days--North to Top of the South Itinerary
- 7 Sydney places to stay
- 8 2 days post cruise in Sydney
- 9 transfer services between Sydney Airport and hotels
- 10 A family trip to Sydney and the Blue Mountains
- 11 New Zealand Honeymoon Itinerary
- 12 Cairns/Port Douglas from Sydney
- 13 Fantastic South Island Trip May-June 2016
- 14 Best spot for first time SCUBA
- 15 South Island Trip Planning: Akaroa Tour or Tranzalpine?
- 16 Transiting in Nadi Airport, Fiji
- 17 Scuba trip Great Barrier Reef
- 18 North island New Zealand-help
- 19 Rarotonga
- 20 Australia New Zealand - help with itinerary
- 21 New Zealand SI book ahead??
- 22 South Island trip in Oct.
- 23 What Do you Think of My Itin
- 24 Great Barrier Reef in January/February??
- 25 7 full days itinerary in Melbourne