My husband and I are traveling to Australia in late October/early November of this year. We have 12 days on the ground (not including the travel time from the US and back).
The current plan is spend time in Sydney and the Great Barrier Reef area (preferably Whitsundays). I would like to add a third destination, but my husband thinks it would be too much travel. We are relatively relaxed travelers in that we don't like to be go go go, but I don't want to come so far and not see a lot.
1. Do we have time to add a 3rd destination and if so, where? I am interested in Kangaroo Island for the animal experiences or perhaps Flinders Rock to get a taste of the outback. Uluru was on the list, but it doesn't seem there is much to do there other than the scenery to be worth the time and expense of getting there. Melbourne could be okay, but we'd like more than another city. Perhaps the wine regions around Melbourne would be nice. Husband suggested New Zealand, but that seems ambitious for such a short amount of time.
2. For the Great Barrier Reef, should we spend time around Carins or the Whitsundays? I am interested in traveling to the different islands in the Whitsundays, but Cairns seems easier to fly into. We are snorkelers not divers and would like to snorkel around the GBR.
3. If we only do Sydney and GBR area, how would you divide the time? More time in Sydney or GBR? We would do side trips from Sydney if we had more time (Blue Mountains, etc).
Thanks in advance!
Suggestions for October/November 2012 Trip to Australia
- 1 Need Packing Advice for Sydney and New Zealand in January
- 2 Transportation from Sydney Airport to Four Seasons
- 3 Alices Springs and uluru tour
- 4 Cricket, diving and NZ - how long to fit it all in?
- 5 Sightseeing & transport in Sydney
- 6 Car Rental in Broome to Drop off in Perth
- 7 PBS Movie"A Town Called Alice"
- 8 Toucan2 in Sydney December 31--mini GTG anyone?
- 9 Two 21 year old students (male) travelling from Brisbane to Cairns
- 10 Franz Josef Glacier in December - Weather and Packing
- 11 Paihia or coromandel
- 12 Logical Airline Schedule for 2014 trip.
- 13 Emirates and Jetstar
- 14 Where to stay in Christchurch?
- 15 17 days in NZ - NI and SI - Would like feedback on finalizing itinerary
- 16 Travelling to Auckland - Who to use for car rental?
- 17 14 days in NZ in February
- 18 16 days all over New Zealand
- 19 Songdoc's "Mini" NZ Trip Report: Auckland, Wellington & Abel Tasman
- 20 Sydney/GBR/Cairns
- 21 Interesting women's clothes shops in Sydney?
- 22 Heading to Australia!
- 23 New Zealand Accommodation Recommendations Needed
- 24 South Island Itinerary
- 25 A quick jaunt to WASHINGTON DC, CHICAGO, MOOREA FRENCH POLYNESIA - Oct 2013