My husband and I are traveling to Australia in late October/early November of this year. We have 12 days on the ground (not including the travel time from the US and back).
The current plan is spend time in Sydney and the Great Barrier Reef area (preferably Whitsundays). I would like to add a third destination, but my husband thinks it would be too much travel. We are relatively relaxed travelers in that we don't like to be go go go, but I don't want to come so far and not see a lot.
1. Do we have time to add a 3rd destination and if so, where? I am interested in Kangaroo Island for the animal experiences or perhaps Flinders Rock to get a taste of the outback. Uluru was on the list, but it doesn't seem there is much to do there other than the scenery to be worth the time and expense of getting there. Melbourne could be okay, but we'd like more than another city. Perhaps the wine regions around Melbourne would be nice. Husband suggested New Zealand, but that seems ambitious for such a short amount of time.
2. For the Great Barrier Reef, should we spend time around Carins or the Whitsundays? I am interested in traveling to the different islands in the Whitsundays, but Cairns seems easier to fly into. We are snorkelers not divers and would like to snorkel around the GBR.
3. If we only do Sydney and GBR area, how would you divide the time? More time in Sydney or GBR? We would do side trips from Sydney if we had more time (Blue Mountains, etc).
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealnd 17 days--North to Top of the South Itinerary
- 2 Exmouth WhaleSharks and Wildflowers
- 3 NZ forum HELP- North and South Island itinerary review
- 4 Picton to Queenstown 6days
- 5 Uluru
- 6 16 days in Australia
- 7 Pudding cups in New Zealand
- 8 Between a rock and a hard spot
- 9 Gluten free Australia
- 10 In & Around Melbourne & Sydney
- 11 bushwalking in the Blue Mountains
- 12 Where to stay overnight between Abel Tasman NP and Fox Glacier?
- 13 Cairns & Port Douglas
- 14 One week stay using Brisbane as starting base
- 15 Melbourne, GOR & Grampians
- 16 Brisbane to Sydney in 4-5 days! Itinerary help!
- 17 Sydney to Coffs Harbour in Jan with kids, 9 and 11
- 18 from Te Anau, NZ: fly to AKL from Invercargill or Queenstown?
- 19 25day planning for Australia
- 20 Going to Uluru - Is it worth it?
- 21 Help New Zealand
- 22 Snow ideas near Melbourne and Sydney
- 23 8 day trip to New Zealand
- 24 Hervey Bay Whales & Apartment
- 25 Private Tour Guides Australian Coast