My husband and I are traveling to Australia in late October/early November of this year. We have 12 days on the ground (not including the travel time from the US and back).
The current plan is spend time in Sydney and the Great Barrier Reef area (preferably Whitsundays). I would like to add a third destination, but my husband thinks it would be too much travel. We are relatively relaxed travelers in that we don't like to be go go go, but I don't want to come so far and not see a lot.
1. Do we have time to add a 3rd destination and if so, where? I am interested in Kangaroo Island for the animal experiences or perhaps Flinders Rock to get a taste of the outback. Uluru was on the list, but it doesn't seem there is much to do there other than the scenery to be worth the time and expense of getting there. Melbourne could be okay, but we'd like more than another city. Perhaps the wine regions around Melbourne would be nice. Husband suggested New Zealand, but that seems ambitious for such a short amount of time.
2. For the Great Barrier Reef, should we spend time around Carins or the Whitsundays? I am interested in traveling to the different islands in the Whitsundays, but Cairns seems easier to fly into. We are snorkelers not divers and would like to snorkel around the GBR.
3. If we only do Sydney and GBR area, how would you divide the time? More time in Sydney or GBR? We would do side trips from Sydney if we had more time (Blue Mountains, etc).
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 8 Full Days South Island: Itinerary Advise
- 2 help on NZ trip itinerary, what to keep what to skip
- 3 New Zealand North Island Logistics
- 4 Seeking StopOver Ideas for US to Australia Trip
- 5 some questions about upcoming trip to Australia and New Zealand
- 6 A family trip to Sydney and the Blue Mountains
- 7 Apex car rental in Australia
- 8 Drive from Nelson or Christchurch to Queenstown during winter
- 9 6 1/2 weeks Australia and New Zealand
- 10 Stay near to Melbourne airport / city?
- 11 Where best to pickup rental car in Sydney to travel to the Blue Mountains?
- 12 Fantastic South Island Trip May-June 2016
- 13 New Zealand 12 Days Aug-Sept
- 14 2016 Rugby internationals - anyone watching?
- 15 Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand
- 16 13 Days North & South Island in October (NZ Spring)
- 17 Tasmania
- 18 NZ expects 4.5 million tourists per year by 2022
- 19 Help for 6 days based in Queenstown
- 20 Accommodations Brisbane
- 21 Skiing in Australia in July?
- 22 Australia 2017 - Oz Winter or Spring Honeymoon?
- 23 Cairns to Sydney early 2017
- 24 Repositioning cruise
- 25 18 days nz.