My husband and I are traveling to Australia in late October/early November of this year. We have 12 days on the ground (not including the travel time from the US and back).
The current plan is spend time in Sydney and the Great Barrier Reef area (preferably Whitsundays). I would like to add a third destination, but my husband thinks it would be too much travel. We are relatively relaxed travelers in that we don't like to be go go go, but I don't want to come so far and not see a lot.
1. Do we have time to add a 3rd destination and if so, where? I am interested in Kangaroo Island for the animal experiences or perhaps Flinders Rock to get a taste of the outback. Uluru was on the list, but it doesn't seem there is much to do there other than the scenery to be worth the time and expense of getting there. Melbourne could be okay, but we'd like more than another city. Perhaps the wine regions around Melbourne would be nice. Husband suggested New Zealand, but that seems ambitious for such a short amount of time.
2. For the Great Barrier Reef, should we spend time around Carins or the Whitsundays? I am interested in traveling to the different islands in the Whitsundays, but Cairns seems easier to fly into. We are snorkelers not divers and would like to snorkel around the GBR.
3. If we only do Sydney and GBR area, how would you divide the time? More time in Sydney or GBR? We would do side trips from Sydney if we had more time (Blue Mountains, etc).
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Six Weeks Down Under
- 2 Sydney GTG - March 14?
- 3 Queenstown-is it worth it?
- 4 August Honeymoon Help?
- 5 How to split up Australia?
- 6 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 7 Self Drive Tour Itinerary - Safety, Convenience, Activities, Itinerary HELP
- 8 Brisbane to Sydney
- 9 Wellington Airport to hotel
- 10 East Coast Australia
- 11 North and South Island of NZ
- 12 Clearing Kaikoura to Picton road
- 13 Romantic 10 nights Fiji - Oct 2017
- 14 NEW ZEALAND 18 DAYS ITINERARY
- 15 Marlborough Sounds
- 16 Blue mountain in July
- 17 More pilot whales to strand at NZ's Farewell Spit
- 18 Tonga January Weather
- 19 Tasmania, Melbourne, and the Great Ocean Road--November/December 2015
- 20 1 Month Hiking in New Zealand
- 21 Scenary around Winton QLD
- 22 Alesund - Geiranger
- 23 Drive from Melbourne to Sydney
- 24 australia for first time
- 25 Auckland restaurants and brewpubs?