My husband and I are traveling to Australia in late October/early November of this year. We have 12 days on the ground (not including the travel time from the US and back).
The current plan is spend time in Sydney and the Great Barrier Reef area (preferably Whitsundays). I would like to add a third destination, but my husband thinks it would be too much travel. We are relatively relaxed travelers in that we don't like to be go go go, but I don't want to come so far and not see a lot.
1. Do we have time to add a 3rd destination and if so, where? I am interested in Kangaroo Island for the animal experiences or perhaps Flinders Rock to get a taste of the outback. Uluru was on the list, but it doesn't seem there is much to do there other than the scenery to be worth the time and expense of getting there. Melbourne could be okay, but we'd like more than another city. Perhaps the wine regions around Melbourne would be nice. Husband suggested New Zealand, but that seems ambitious for such a short amount of time.
2. For the Great Barrier Reef, should we spend time around Carins or the Whitsundays? I am interested in traveling to the different islands in the Whitsundays, but Cairns seems easier to fly into. We are snorkelers not divers and would like to snorkel around the GBR.
3. If we only do Sydney and GBR area, how would you divide the time? More time in Sydney or GBR? We would do side trips from Sydney if we had more time (Blue Mountains, etc).
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Tasmania, Melbourne, and the Great Ocean Road--November/December 2015
- 2 Hikes in New Zealand
- 3 New Zealand Itinerary Help
- 4 Australia/New Zealand 3 weeks
- 5 Tiger Air and Baggage Fees
- 6 Nervous American driving in AU
- 7 Domestic flights in Australia? when?
- 8 9.5 days in New Zealand
- 9 Milford Sound day trip sounds like too long a day!
- 10 New Zeaaland
- 11 Scuba trip Great Barrier Reef
- 12 A major meander through Australia/Tasmania, Bali, Laos & Vietnam.
- 13 HELP! New Zealand 2weeks July with baby (and pregnant)
- 14 New Zealand on our own?
- 15 2nd year visa extentiom
- 16 Best spot for first time SCUBA
- 17 Sydney places to stay
- 18 Sydney in March
- 19 Help, 24 hours in Tassie to fill!!
- 20 Australia/New Zealand in 2 weeks
- 21 Help with itinerary! 2 wks in Aus
- 22 Box Jellies on the GBR
- 23 2 wks in Aus - need help with itinerary
- 24 Nelson, New Zealand
- 25 Tasmania - revised itinerary.... advice please!!