We are planning to take a trip to the South Island in Dec/Jan 2014. We are a family of 4. 2 kids 11 and 14. We will have about 2 weeks. I keep reading that it is really busy that time of year. How busy does that mean? Will it detract from the trip?
We would like to either rent a car or perhaps a camper van. Does renting the camper van make things more complicated?
If we rent a car do I have to book into all the hotels in advance or can we play it as we go?
We are looking for a trip where we spend 2 or more days in each place rather than spending too much time in the car. I know that we won't be able to see the whole island.
We are interested in animal life, beautiful land/sea scapes (my daughter loves photography) and some great adventures -kayaking, biking etc. We would be into seeing some more off the beaten track sites as well.
Any itinerary that you can suggest would be greatly appreciated!
We are open to anything!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 4 hour transit in Sydney
- 2 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 3 First time in NZ. Need advice on Dec trip itinerary pls.
- 4 14 day South NZ Trip
- 5 6 days Queenstown (NZ) itineary suggestion????
- 6 GOR & Otway zipline together
- 7 Aurora dazzles Kiwis
- 8 One-day hike in Milford area
- 9 Gold Coast - places to visit and stay
- 10 Best national park around Sydney
- 11 1 night stay around GOR
- 12 7 days in New Zealand
- 13 NZ: Northland & Bay of Islands 10 days
- 14 NZ repeat visitors
- 15 Looking for tour for 30 something's
- 16 South Island Suggestions
- 17 Best spot for first time SCUBA
- 18 Fairly easy cycling on the South Island
- 19 Trip to Bora Bora Australia in January
- 20 Oz air carrier recommendation
- 21 Challenges of readying Christchurch-Kaikoura-Picton road by Xmas
- 22 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 23 New Zealand Car Rental
- 24 Sun, sandflies & sauvignon blanc: A short trip to the spectacular NZ SI
- 25 What exactly is a NZ sound?