We are planning to take a trip to the South Island in Dec/Jan 2014. We are a family of 4. 2 kids 11 and 14. We will have about 2 weeks. I keep reading that it is really busy that time of year. How busy does that mean? Will it detract from the trip?
We would like to either rent a car or perhaps a camper van. Does renting the camper van make things more complicated?
If we rent a car do I have to book into all the hotels in advance or can we play it as we go?
We are looking for a trip where we spend 2 or more days in each place rather than spending too much time in the car. I know that we won't be able to see the whole island.
We are interested in animal life, beautiful land/sea scapes (my daughter loves photography) and some great adventures -kayaking, biking etc. We would be into seeing some more off the beaten track sites as well.
Any itinerary that you can suggest would be greatly appreciated!
We are open to anything!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 "Bolthole" from Apocalypse
- 2 Australia & New Zealand in 10 days
- 3 South Australia Help with Itinerary
- 4 South Island - 8 days
- 5 5 days in South Island
- 6 New Zealand Itinerary
- 7 Scenary around Winton QLD
- 8 North Island-New Zealand help?
- 9 Australia: "Home" for the Holidays
- 10 Best time to visit New Zealand?
- 11 Getting around South Island NZ without a Car?
- 12 Great Barrier Reef - Non Swimmers
- 13 west and north Tasmania
- 14 Trip to Cairns
- 15 Beers in Oz
- 16 NZ visa denials
- 17 Brisbane to Sydney
- 18 Vini SIM card?
- 19 Campervan drive in NZ with toddler - good?
- 20 New Zealand - baggage storage
- 21 New Zealand February 2017 Questions
- 22 Help on Itinerary
- 23 Sydney Trip
- 24 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 25 Just got back from Bora Bora, French Polynesia. Honeymoon video inside.