We are planning to take a trip to the South Island in Dec/Jan 2014. We are a family of 4. 2 kids 11 and 14. We will have about 2 weeks. I keep reading that it is really busy that time of year. How busy does that mean? Will it detract from the trip?
We would like to either rent a car or perhaps a camper van. Does renting the camper van make things more complicated?
If we rent a car do I have to book into all the hotels in advance or can we play it as we go?
We are looking for a trip where we spend 2 or more days in each place rather than spending too much time in the car. I know that we won't be able to see the whole island.
We are interested in animal life, beautiful land/sea scapes (my daughter loves photography) and some great adventures -kayaking, biking etc. We would be into seeing some more off the beaten track sites as well.
Any itinerary that you can suggest would be greatly appreciated!
We are open to anything!
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Sydney GTG - March 14?
- 2 Six Weeks Down Under
- 3 Queenstown-is it worth it?
- 4 August Honeymoon Help?
- 5 How to split up Australia?
- 6 GTG in Australia - Feb or March
- 7 Self Drive Tour Itinerary - Safety, Convenience, Activities, Itinerary HELP
- 8 Brisbane to Sydney
- 9 Wellington Airport to hotel
- 10 East Coast Australia
- 11 North and South Island of NZ
- 12 Clearing Kaikoura to Picton road
- 13 Romantic 10 nights Fiji - Oct 2017
- 14 NEW ZEALAND 18 DAYS ITINERARY
- 15 Marlborough Sounds
- 16 Blue mountain in July
- 17 More pilot whales to strand at NZ's Farewell Spit
- 18 Tonga January Weather
- 19 Tasmania, Melbourne, and the Great Ocean Road--November/December 2015
- 20 1 Month Hiking in New Zealand
- 21 Scenary around Winton QLD
- 22 Alesund - Geiranger
- 23 Drive from Melbourne to Sydney
- 24 australia for first time
- 25 Auckland restaurants and brewpubs?