We are planning to take a trip to the South Island in Dec/Jan 2014. We are a family of 4. 2 kids 11 and 14. We will have about 2 weeks. I keep reading that it is really busy that time of year. How busy does that mean? Will it detract from the trip?
We would like to either rent a car or perhaps a camper van. Does renting the camper van make things more complicated?
If we rent a car do I have to book into all the hotels in advance or can we play it as we go?
We are looking for a trip where we spend 2 or more days in each place rather than spending too much time in the car. I know that we won't be able to see the whole island.
We are interested in animal life, beautiful land/sea scapes (my daughter loves photography) and some great adventures -kayaking, biking etc. We would be into seeing some more off the beaten track sites as well.
Any itinerary that you can suggest would be greatly appreciated!
We are open to anything!
South Island New Zealand - Travel with kids
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Tipping
- 2 Adelaide and Kangaroo Island
- 3 Booked flights to Brisbane mid-June
- 4 Hobart and Launceston- 4 days each sound ok?
- 5 Transit Time at SYD
- 6 Is French really spoken in Tahiti?
- 7 Australia Vacation Sept 2014: Focus on WA
- 8 Happy Australia Day!
- 9 Where to visit outside Melbourne for several days?
- 10 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 11 Tim Tam
- 12 Where to stay near Melbourne
- 13 Car rentals south island
- 14 Planning a trip to Melbourne
- 15 Brisbane, need short term accommodation
- 16 18 & 19 year old traveling for two weeks after 7 months in Brisbane
- 17 Pls help with NZ South Island 12 days with surfing itinerary!
- 18 New Zealand South Island in 8 days!
- 19 OZ and NZ with a 16month old baby
- 20 NZ North Island 17 days in March
- 21 Port Douglas/ Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef
- 22 New Zealand
- 23 Need Rotorua advice
- 24 My tips for NZ motorhome hire
- 25 Broome to Cape Leveque