Just joined. A couple of us are planning a trip to South Island NZ in December for 3 weeks, we'll be renting a campervan and driving. I realise this is early but still not sure if we'll do the Milford Track and have heard that bookings begin 12 months in advance. Is it definitely worth doing?
The itinerary below is assuming we do not do it and the dates are estimates (we haven't booked flights yet). In brackets are estimated driving times from place to place:
14th ARRIVE CHRISTCHURCH
16th (2h15) KAIKOURA
17th (3h00) NELSON
18th NELSON (ABEL TASMAN)
19th NELSON (ABEL TASMAN)
20th NELSON (GOLDEN BAY)
21st (4h00) PUNAKAIKI
22nd (3h15) FRANZ JOSEF
23rd FRANZ JOSEF
24th (5h00) QUEENSTOWN
27th (0h40) GLENORCHY
28th (2h40) TE ANAU
29th TE ANAU (MILFORD SOUND)
30th (5h20) MOUNT COOK
31st MOUNT COOK
1st (4h15) CHRISTCHURCH
2nd DEPART CHRISTCHURCH
How does it look? Are we missing anything important, or is anything not doable? Also please advise whether we should spend a quiet New Year in Mount Cook, or if its worth getting down to Christchurch. We are both males mid-20s.
Last question, excluding flights, would about £2000 each be enough?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Queenstown vs Christchurch
- 2 SAMOA - Friendly and quirky destination
- 3 NZ 1 week
- 4 Queenstown to Christchurch in 3 days
- 5 New Zealand Fly Fishing Recommendations
- 6 Franz Joseph and Fox Glacier
- 7 Port Douglas/ Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef
- 8 Milford Sound (Fly! Cruise! Fly!) - Travel Report
- 9 New Zealand South Island 15 Nights Itinerary
- 10 Australia for two weeks.
- 11 Palau Travel Report
- 12 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 1 - Travel Report
- 13 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 3 - Travel Report
- 14 Antarctica Penguin Disaster
- 15 7 months in Australia and New Zealand
- 16 Visa
- 17 Guam Travel Report
- 18 New Zealand Car Hire
- 19 Tasmania itinerary
- 20 McLaren Vale in South Australia as base for 4 days?
- 21 Research on Australian Tourism
- 22 Australia and NZ visit!
- 23 12 Days in S.I. NZ
- 24 The Waitomo Caves - Travel Report
- 25 Cheap Flights to Bangkok from Gold Coast