Just joined. A couple of us are planning a trip to South Island NZ in December for 3 weeks, we'll be renting a campervan and driving. I realise this is early but still not sure if we'll do the Milford Track and have heard that bookings begin 12 months in advance. Is it definitely worth doing?
The itinerary below is assuming we do not do it and the dates are estimates (we haven't booked flights yet). In brackets are estimated driving times from place to place:
14th ARRIVE CHRISTCHURCH
16th (2h15) KAIKOURA
17th (3h00) NELSON
18th NELSON (ABEL TASMAN)
19th NELSON (ABEL TASMAN)
20th NELSON (GOLDEN BAY)
21st (4h00) PUNAKAIKI
22nd (3h15) FRANZ JOSEF
23rd FRANZ JOSEF
24th (5h00) QUEENSTOWN
27th (0h40) GLENORCHY
28th (2h40) TE ANAU
29th TE ANAU (MILFORD SOUND)
30th (5h20) MOUNT COOK
31st MOUNT COOK
1st (4h15) CHRISTCHURCH
2nd DEPART CHRISTCHURCH
How does it look? Are we missing anything important, or is anything not doable? Also please advise whether we should spend a quiet New Year in Mount Cook, or if its worth getting down to Christchurch. We are both males mid-20s.
Last question, excluding flights, would about £2000 each be enough?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 bruclee@Yahoo technical sup* no.☛☎ 18884823831 ☎
- 2 4 hour transit in Sydney
- 3 New Zealand and Australia at last!
- 4 First time in NZ. Need advice on Dec trip itinerary pls.
- 5 14 day South NZ Trip
- 6 6 days Queenstown (NZ) itineary suggestion????
- 7 GOR & Otway zipline together
- 8 Aurora dazzles Kiwis
- 9 One-day hike in Milford area
- 10 Gold Coast - places to visit and stay
- 11 Best national park around Sydney
- 12 1 night stay around GOR
- 13 7 days in New Zealand
- 14 NZ: Northland & Bay of Islands 10 days
- 15 NZ repeat visitors
- 16 Looking for tour for 30 something's
- 17 South Island Suggestions
- 18 Best spot for first time SCUBA
- 19 Fairly easy cycling on the South Island
- 20 Trip to Bora Bora Australia in January
- 21 Oz air carrier recommendation
- 22 Challenges of readying Christchurch-Kaikoura-Picton road by Xmas
- 23 NYTimes: trouble along the Great Barrier Reef
- 24 New Zealand Car Rental
- 25 Sun, sandflies & sauvignon blanc: A short trip to the spectacular NZ SI