Just joined. A couple of us are planning a trip to South Island NZ in December for 3 weeks, we'll be renting a campervan and driving. I realise this is early but still not sure if we'll do the Milford Track and have heard that bookings begin 12 months in advance. Is it definitely worth doing?
The itinerary below is assuming we do not do it and the dates are estimates (we haven't booked flights yet). In brackets are estimated driving times from place to place:
14th ARRIVE CHRISTCHURCH
16th (2h15) KAIKOURA
17th (3h00) NELSON
18th NELSON (ABEL TASMAN)
19th NELSON (ABEL TASMAN)
20th NELSON (GOLDEN BAY)
21st (4h00) PUNAKAIKI
22nd (3h15) FRANZ JOSEF
23rd FRANZ JOSEF
24th (5h00) QUEENSTOWN
27th (0h40) GLENORCHY
28th (2h40) TE ANAU
29th TE ANAU (MILFORD SOUND)
30th (5h20) MOUNT COOK
31st MOUNT COOK
1st (4h15) CHRISTCHURCH
2nd DEPART CHRISTCHURCH
How does it look? Are we missing anything important, or is anything not doable? Also please advise whether we should spend a quiet New Year in Mount Cook, or if its worth getting down to Christchurch. We are both males mid-20s.
Last question, excluding flights, would about £2000 each be enough?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 3 weeks in Aus in March
- 2 NZ Honeymoon in February -14 days
- 3 first time to Australia and new Zealand
- 4 New Zealand tenative 18 day itinerary
- 5 drive or fly?
- 6 I've been given my assignment: Fiji and...?
- 7 Nelson, New Zealand
- 8 Melbourne City Holiday Apartment
- 9 10-12 days in Tasmania
- 10 Is Jetstar really that bad?
- 11 French Polynesia - Cruise or Land?
- 12 Sydney Public Transport Opal Card?
- 13 3 days in Gold cost , where to stay
- 14 I Need Help Deciding Which Way To Go Around Australia
- 15 30 Day Australia Itinerary Feedback
- 16 Nevis Bungy & Swing
- 17 Sydney & Palm Cove in November
- 18 Tahiti or Raiatea?
- 19 NZ 10 day honeymoon, driving NI and SI
- 20 Boat charter Raitea
- 21 Cairns, Darwin-Kakadu, Sydney in October
- 22 Cairns Australia
- 23 New Zealand Weather - Help!
- 24 Getting to Picton
- 25 3 Weeks in Austriala and New Zealand