We are a family of 4 with 2 little kids (9 & 5) and planning our first NZ trip in February next year.
Flying in to Christchurch and back from Queenstown.
Looking for some trip ideas based on your recent experience.
This is what I have thought so far :
1) Arriving in CCH friday late night
2) Saturday - drive to Lake Pukaki/Tekapo, stay overnight.
3) Sun and Mon night - in Wanaka
4) Tuesday night - Milford sound, incl night stay
5) Wednesday - Sunday nights- queenstown
6) Monday morning -fly back
Might be able to manage short walks (up to 30-45 mins). Not sure if Mt Cook is worth the drive as its almost a big detour if driving from CCH to Queenstown.
Also if anyone could recommend scenic drives along the way, that would be great. I have heard drive to milford via homer tunnel is breathtaking.
appreciate any suggestions.
also welcome suggestions on which websites to find reasonable accomodation - preferably self contained. Is air bnb or stayz big in NZ?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 New Zealand: Milford and Routeburn Tracks
- 2 Free Camping
- 3 New Zealand SI and Auckland
- 4 Kaikoura roads update
- 5 NZ South Island Advice - Glaciers or Abel Tasman?
- 6 Maasdam (Holland America) verse Golden Princess
- 7 17 Days Around New Zealand South Island. My Jaw Dropped Everywhere I went!
- 8 Clever, mischievous keas
- 9 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 3 - Travel Report
- 10 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 2 - Travel Report
- 11 Feedback on my 2 month OZ/NZ itin
- 12 Perth, Margaret River, Albany loop
- 13 Help with our 14-day NZ Itinerary
- 14 Driving Times South Island New Zealand
- 15 45-ish days Solo NZ Trip Report
- 16 Ohau Point Seal Colony destroyed
- 17 North or South after Perth in rental car?
- 18 Cheap and affordable car hire in port douglas
- 19 14 Day RV from Christchurch
- 20 Whales spotted off Kaikoura first time since quake
- 21 Translation of documents
- 22 SH1 to Kaikoura update
- 23 10 days NZ-crusie or land??
- 24 Cooking classes near Melbourne
- 25 Sunshine coast or gold coast in February