We are a family of 4 with 2 little kids (9 & 5) and planning our first NZ trip in February next year.
Flying in to Christchurch and back from Queenstown.
Looking for some trip ideas based on your recent experience.
This is what I have thought so far :
1) Arriving in CCH friday late night
2) Saturday - drive to Lake Pukaki/Tekapo, stay overnight.
3) Sun and Mon night - in Wanaka
4) Tuesday night - Milford sound, incl night stay
5) Wednesday - Sunday nights- queenstown
6) Monday morning -fly back
Might be able to manage short walks (up to 30-45 mins). Not sure if Mt Cook is worth the drive as its almost a big detour if driving from CCH to Queenstown.
Also if anyone could recommend scenic drives along the way, that would be great. I have heard drive to milford via homer tunnel is breathtaking.
appreciate any suggestions.
also welcome suggestions on which websites to find reasonable accomodation - preferably self contained. Is air bnb or stayz big in NZ?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Queenstown vs Christchurch
- 2 Franz Joseph and Fox Glacier
- 3 NZ 1 week
- 4 Port Douglas/ Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef
- 5 Milford Sound (Fly! Cruise! Fly!) - Travel Report
- 6 New Zealand South Island 15 Nights Itinerary
- 7 Australia for two weeks.
- 8 Palau Travel Report
- 9 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 1 - Travel Report
- 10 Uluru the Outback Tour Day 3 - Travel Report
- 11 Antarctica Penguin Disaster
- 12 7 months in Australia and New Zealand
- 13 Visa
- 14 Guam Travel Report
- 15 New Zealand Car Hire
- 16 Tasmania itinerary
- 17 McLaren Vale in South Australia as base for 4 days?
- 18 Research on Australian Tourism
- 19 Australia and NZ visit!
- 20 12 Days in S.I. NZ
- 21 The Waitomo Caves - Travel Report
- 22 Cheap Flights to Bangkok from Gold Coast
- 23 18 Days tentative NZ Itinerary help
- 24 Best Fiji Resort for Shore Snorkeling
- 25 Recommended guidebooks