Hello, I wanted to collect some impressions from those who have visited wineries in the Marlborough area. My wife and I will be staying at a B&B in Blenheim for a couple of days in the midst of a sort of outdoor adventure trip through New Zealand (mostly the South Island). However, we want to devote our brief time in Marlborough to wine. When we have visited wineries in the past (some in California, some in Italy and France), we have found the small wineries to be the most fun. The tour is more personal (we like hearing the back story of the winemaker), we usually get to sip the wine with someone who works at the winery rather than at the tasting bar, and we appreciate the fact that such tours are usually not crowded. The bigger tours for the popular wineries have something of a mass produced feel, and I think we have had enough winemaking 101 so that we don't need to hear the basic process again at length, however entertainingly delivered. I realize that by visiting small wineries in Marlborough, we may get to places that don't even export their wine to the U.S. That's OK; we'll still have some time in New Zealand after this region. We're also interested in learning about the wines other than sauvignon blanc, which seems to be about the only Marlborough representative that ever gets to our area. Pinot Gris? Pinot Noir? A sparkler or two? Anyway, we'd love suggestions on a few wineries we might try to visit. Thanks!
Small Wineries to Visit in Marlborough?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Onilne booking hotels !
- 2 New Zealand: Cruise vs. Land
- 3 Sculptures by the Sea 2014, Cottesloe
- 4 1st time to Oz. Suggestions appreciated. (tripplanner001)
- 5 Where to go in Oz/NZ in March and April?
- 6 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 7 Gregory NP or Limmen NP in the NT
- 8 Aussie SPRING with foodie & wino...Perth? SW region? GBR? Help!
- 9 Great Barrier Reef---Luxury resort and convenient snorkeling
- 10 Tasmania or Fiji?
- 11 New Zealand itinerary help
- 12 Hotel in Sydney
- 13 Anniversary Cruise Struggling with Excursions
- 14 Melbourne Drive
- 15 Hotel w. airport shuttle in Sydney
- 16 Sydney or Melbourne
- 17 Christchurch flooding, motorists should expect delays
- 18 Qantas Flight QF 7
- 19 Hamilton Station, NSW Taxis
- 20 Fishing Charters on Rarotonga
- 21 Adventure Vacation to Australia !!! Need suggestions.
- 22 The Wonders of Western Australia: Trip Report & Slideshow
- 23 Australia in 28 days (Sept 17- Oct 18, 2012)
- 24 Kakadu yellow river cruise
- 25 Launceston,Tasmania-where to stay?