Hello, I wanted to collect some impressions from those who have visited wineries in the Marlborough area. My wife and I will be staying at a B&B in Blenheim for a couple of days in the midst of a sort of outdoor adventure trip through New Zealand (mostly the South Island). However, we want to devote our brief time in Marlborough to wine. When we have visited wineries in the past (some in California, some in Italy and France), we have found the small wineries to be the most fun. The tour is more personal (we like hearing the back story of the winemaker), we usually get to sip the wine with someone who works at the winery rather than at the tasting bar, and we appreciate the fact that such tours are usually not crowded. The bigger tours for the popular wineries have something of a mass produced feel, and I think we have had enough winemaking 101 so that we don't need to hear the basic process again at length, however entertainingly delivered. I realize that by visiting small wineries in Marlborough, we may get to places that don't even export their wine to the U.S. That's OK; we'll still have some time in New Zealand after this region. We're also interested in learning about the wines other than sauvignon blanc, which seems to be about the only Marlborough representative that ever gets to our area. Pinot Gris? Pinot Noir? A sparkler or two? Anyway, we'd love suggestions on a few wineries we might try to visit. Thanks!
Small Wineries to Visit in Marlborough?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Our First Trip to New Zealand
- 2 Sydney
- 3 Incredible hotel
- 4 Australian Aborigines
- 5 Good places to stay for 2015 AFC Asian Cup
- 6 South Island - 8 days in February
- 7 Sydney - Melbourne 2 night / 3 day Road Trip
- 8 australia new zealand trip advice
- 9 New Zealand trip -itinerary help please
- 10 Milford Sound Cruise
- 11 14 day South Island Self drive
- 12 Do Great Ocean Road or head to New Zealand?
- 13 Cruise New Zealand
- 14 Help with Australia/ New Zealand plan!
- 15 Need Packing Advice for Sydney and New Zealand in January
- 16 New Zealand Accommodations
- 17 16 days all over New Zealand
- 18 New Zealand Accommodation Recommendations Needed
- 19 Optimum time to visit both New Zealand and Australia
- 20 Land Portion of our Cruise Tour of Australia and New Zealand
- 21 Songdoc's 5th Trip to Gorgeous New Zealand: A Trip Report
- 22 New Zealand itinerary help
- 23 New Zealand with Hannabelle
- 24 Campervan/Motorhomes vs Car hire in New Zealand
- 25 Packing list for New Zealand, February 2013