Hello, I wanted to collect some impressions from those who have visited wineries in the Marlborough area. My wife and I will be staying at a B&B in Blenheim for a couple of days in the midst of a sort of outdoor adventure trip through New Zealand (mostly the South Island). However, we want to devote our brief time in Marlborough to wine. When we have visited wineries in the past (some in California, some in Italy and France), we have found the small wineries to be the most fun. The tour is more personal (we like hearing the back story of the winemaker), we usually get to sip the wine with someone who works at the winery rather than at the tasting bar, and we appreciate the fact that such tours are usually not crowded. The bigger tours for the popular wineries have something of a mass produced feel, and I think we have had enough winemaking 101 so that we don't need to hear the basic process again at length, however entertainingly delivered. I realize that by visiting small wineries in Marlborough, we may get to places that don't even export their wine to the U.S. That's OK; we'll still have some time in New Zealand after this region. We're also interested in learning about the wines other than sauvignon blanc, which seems to be about the only Marlborough representative that ever gets to our area. Pinot Gris? Pinot Noir? A sparkler or two? Anyway, we'd love suggestions on a few wineries we might try to visit. Thanks!
Small Wineries to Visit in Marlborough?
Recent ActivityView all Australia & the Pacific activity »
- 1 Transit Time at SYD
- 2 Booked flights to Brisbane mid-June
- 3 Where to visit outside Melbourne for several days?
- 4 Tipping
- 5 Australia Vacation Sept 2014: Focus on WA
- 6 Our really quite big adventure, Act 3 - heaven and hell in Queensland
- 7 Tim Tam
- 8 Hobart and Launceston- 4 days each sound ok?
- 9 Where to stay near Melbourne
- 10 Is French really spoken in Tahiti?
- 11 Car rentals south island
- 12 Planning a trip to Melbourne
- 13 Brisbane, need short term accommodation
- 14 18 & 19 year old traveling for two weeks after 7 months in Brisbane
- 15 Pls help with NZ South Island 12 days with surfing itinerary!
- 16 New Zealand South Island in 8 days!
- 17 OZ and NZ with a 16month old baby
- 18 NZ North Island 17 days in March
- 19 Port Douglas/ Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef
- 20 New Zealand
- 21 Need Rotorua advice
- 22 My tips for NZ motorhome hire
- 23 Broome to Cape Leveque
- 24 Auckland for 18 months
- 25 Fiji in February or March?